Speculation: So now that the season is over...

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
It seems like you're going after multiple posters in every thread so was just wondering if you work for the KGB or something
No I work for Cradle of Filth hahah(sarcasm).I am not going after them I just telling to clam down.the season is not over.

Last edited:

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
One simple philosophy that all professionals follow:

"Don't get too high after a win or too low after a loss."

That advice has served me well in maintaining my perspective. I figure if the philosophy is good enough for the pros, then it's good enough for me.

Here's to a great season with lots of ups and downs. (But hopefully not as many downs...) :thumbu:

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
One simple philosophy that all professionals follow:

"Don't get too high after a win or too low after a loss."

That advice has served me well in maintaining my perspective. I figure if the philosophy is good enough for the pros, then it's good enough for me.

Here's to a great season with lots of ups and downs. (But hopefully not as many downs...) :thumbu:
Great qoute to live by.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Just because YOU think its a certain way doesn't make it true.

Thats the problem with this thread. You guys make claims, then act absolutely incredulous that anybody could possibly have a different opinion.

Some posters need to get of their high horses. Just because you prefer to be very positive about this team doesn't mean everybody who isn't is an Oiler hating *******. I think a lot of the fans have been going overboard but this whole thread stinks of arrogance and the tiering of fans.

Please. For years I was blasted on this board for wanting to be patient.

See, I don’t like the Russell contract, didn’t like the Eberle trade because it was a downgrade.

The only difference I have is the idioticy sky is falling comments. Wanting a GM turfed 3 games into the season is a bad idea. Saying the Oilers are royally f***ed with Sekera out, even though Anaheim has more crucial injuries, is an Oiler only problem.

Hyperbole and Knee jerk reactions are two things I’ve dread for near ten years I’ve been posting here. They offer absolutely nothing of value in conversation. It’s not so much about having a different opinion, it’s about the short sighted, emotional based reactions that stink up the place.

I know I’m different because, I know this is a shocker, I like to wait and see if the team is going to do. A 3 game sample size does f*** all in that regard.

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Who is saying to turf the GM right now, Tad? Anyone?

It's fine to disagree with my point of view but stop putting words into people's mouths.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So Chiarelli has done a good job?

Uh yeah. The team went from 28th place in the league to 103 points and within 1 game of the conference finals in one year so yeah, I'd say he's done a pretty decent job. He's not perfect but the good moves have clearly outweighed the bad.

You know what bothers me about this Fire Chia nonsense? If the team was 2-1 or 3-0, nobody would be uttering a word about Chia being a turd so this is obviously a ridiculous knee jerk reaction to 2 losses.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Okay, two people. Hardly a majority.

With that said if the Oilers struggle this season...

Even if the Oilers struggle this season, he won't be fired nor should he. He should be questioned if that happened, not fired. They finally have some stability, I hope ownership isn't as reactionary as the fans are.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Even if the Oilers struggle this season, he won't be fired nor should he. He should be questioned if that happened, not fired. They finally have some stability, I hope ownership isn't as reactionary as the fans are.
Yeah like anyone's going to question him...

Maybe I have my sights set too high but anything less than a WCF appearance should be met with criticism and if the Oilers somehow miss the playoffs then Chia should be shown the door.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Who is really out there if Chia gets turfed? It could be worse of course but for the Oilers to miss the playoffs with the pieces he had to work with, he'd seriously need to work

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Maybe I have my sights set too high but anything less than a WCF appearance should be met with criticism and if the Oilers somehow miss the playoffs then Chia should be shown the door.

Most of HFOil is already questioning him 3 games into a season after a wildly successful season, I can't imagine that he lasts 10 games here if they are below .500 by then. Not that he doesn't deserve some
criticism for not addressing the defense even though I need more than a 3 game sample size to determine if he failed in that respect.

Even if the Oilers miss the playoffs, which would obviously be a big disappointment, he's not going to get fired. This is still a young team with a Stanley Cup window that is just opening. Don't forget that they were well ahead of schedule last season so if they miss the playoffs this season, it's not the end of the line for this group. More like a bump in the road and an offseason of some retooling ahead. The GM isn't going to get fired if they have one down season even if that season is deemed a failure.

You make it seem like he's on the hot seat. I can pretty much guarantee that he's safe even if they have a down season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Most of HFOil is already questioning him 3 games into a season after a wildly successful season, I can't imagine that he lasts 10 games here if they are below .500 by then. Not that he doesn't deserve some
criticism for not addressing the defense even though I need more than a 3 game sample size to determine if he failed in that respect.

Even if the Oilers miss the playoffs, which would obviously be a big disappointment, he's not going to get fired. This is still a young team with a Stanley Cup window that is just opening. Don't forget that they were well ahead of schedule last season so if they miss the playoffs this season, it's not the end of the line for this group. More like a bump in the road and an offseason of some retooling ahead. The GM isn't going to get fired if they have one down season even if that season is deemed a failure.

You make it seem like he's on the hot seat. I can pretty much guarantee that he's safe even if they have a down season.
Yes, but HFOil is not the media.

Missing the playoffs shouldn't be acceptable at this point unless the team gets decimated with injuries. The Oilers "window" may be opening but it won't be open forever. This is likely the Oilers best chance at a cup before McDavid's extension kicks in. Chia made some pretty smart moves prior to this point but this off-season was not a very good one for him.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Who is saying to turf the GM right now, Tad? Anyone?

It's fine to disagree with my point of view but stop putting words into people's mouths.

I have no need to put words in your mouth because you literally just posted this.

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I have a feeling the team and the players are much less concerned about the last 2 losses than most of the people on this board. I'm more concerned about the stupid by-week we get at the start of the season and how it has all the fans ready to launch themselves off a bridge.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Hyperbole and Knee jerk reactions are two things I’ve dread for near ten years I’ve been posting here.

Do you see the contradiction here? If you dread other people doing it, then why do it yourself?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

See, I don’t like the Russell contract, didn’t like the Eberle trade because it was a downgrade.

The only difference I have is the idioticy sky is falling comments. Wanting a GM turfed 3 games into the season is a bad idea. Saying the Oilers are royally ****ed with Sekera out, even though Anaheim has more crucial injuries, is an Oiler only problem.

Hyperbole and Knee jerk reactions are two things I’ve dread for near ten years I’ve been posting here. They offer absolutely nothing of value in conversation. It’s not so much about having a different opinion, it’s about the short sighted, emotional based reactions that stink up the place.

I know I’m different because, I know this is a shocker, I like to wait and see if the team is going to do. A 3 game sample size does **** all in that regard.
Missing my point yet again. Im not defending the opinion that the Oilers are f***ed after 3 games. I am hundred percent against that view. You and I have the same view.

My point is making a knee jerk thread to mock certain posters is so hypocritical and comes off as policing of opinions. There are few posters in this thread who think they are the greatest Oil fans because they come into every thread posting the same "GUYS RELAX" or "TYPICAL HFOIL LOL". It gets just as annoying as the hyperbolic sky is falling crowd.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Missing my point yet again. Im not defending the opinion that the Oilers are ****ed after 3 games. I am hundred percent against that view. You and I have the same view.

My point is making a knee jerk thread to mock certain posters is so hypocritical and comes off as policing of opinions. There are few posters in this thread who think they are the greatest Oil fans because they come into every thread posting the same "GUYS RELAX" or "TYPICAL HFOIL LOL". It gets just as annoying as the hyperbolic sky is falling crowd.

no we are not,Tad has a point but you guys are not listening..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad