Speculation: So now that the season is over...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So that's 2 ugly losses in a row the "true" Oilers' team we've been expecting for like 13 months has finally shown themselves.

I know there's a lot of hockey left, but if we're being honest things are pretty much over for the purposes of success this season.

So now we have to develop a list of things we can watch for this season, it's like "Oilers Positives" but more just stuff we can watch for this season.

Things to watch for this season:

McDavid hitting 80 pts (Probably in like 78 games)

Draisaitl hitting 50 pts (Though the hope of sub 50 is there for those of you crossing your fingers for that)

Benning being waived

Nuge being traded

Yamamoto sent back to the WHL in December

Lucic hitting 20 goals.

Strome hitting 30 pts

That's a few, what else can we watch for this season?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah season's done. Pack it up. Last place here we come.

Fire Chiarelli, Fire McLellen, trade Draisaitl and Klefbom for draft picks.

Bring in Bylsma, Mike Gillis.

Tank is on for Dahlin, the real franchise force. McDavid is no Matthews.

Please read the sarcasm.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Take cover, Jimmi.

Edit:
776.jpg

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
well the oilers haven't won a draft lottery in 2-3 years so we are kinda due. I think if we can position ourselves to be in that 2-4 range we have a legit shot at it. Where do we slide Dahlen in anyway? I mean we could play him with mcdavid, possibly have to slide Yammy Hockey down?

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Im going to become a Leafs fan, surely they will continue to score 7 goals a game and shoot at 16% as a team. I know this because the first three games of the season are the best indicator of a teams future success and ability.

Also going to jump on the Colorado challenging for the divison bandwagon, and Ovie scoring 143 goals.

We will be lucky to win 30 games all year. I mean shit weve only won one of the first three... extrapolate that over a whole season thats only 27 wins. Were screwed. Did i mention Chiarelli sucks and that wingers are the most important players in hockey? I wish we could just fill the wings with Eberle clones, then we would compete.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Please read the sarcasm.

I would actually be fine with this

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Please read the sarcasm.
If the Oilers miss the playoffs this year Chiarelli should absolutely be canned.

I'm not saying they will, but if they do...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If the Oilers miss the playoffs this year Chiarelli should absolutely be canned.

I'm not saying they will, but if they do...

Are we entering the Shero/Bylsma bumbling around for nearly a decade phase of our team? :) Minus the one cup of course. I sure hope not.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So that's 2 ugly losses in a row the "true" Oilers' team we've been expecting for like 13 months has finally shown themselves.

I know there's a lot of hockey left, but if we're being honest things are pretty much over for the purposes of success this season.

So now we have to develop a list of things we can watch for this season, it's like "Oilers Positives" but more just stuff we can watch for this season.

Draisaitl hitting 50 pts (Though the hope of sub 50 is there for those of you crossing your fingers for that)

Benning being waived

Nuge being traded

Lucic hitting 20 goals.

Strome hitting 30 pts

Not sure if I get the point of this thread. It misses the mark if meant as a joke/sarcasm.

Some of the things in the OP are likely to happen. In those cases, either we thought so before the season started or they seem reasonable now.

Some of the things in the OP would be a positive outcome from what we have seen in the first couple games.

Some are clearly taking the piss.

McDavid and Draisaitl hitting 80 and 50 points respectively are disappointing if they just get there. Not outrageously bad though.

Benning being waived could happen. If Chia decides he doesn't want to waste the season while waiting for Sekera to get healthy somebody has got's to go. Benning should be a candidate in that scenario.

Sending Yamamoto back to the W in December is just weird. How does he get more than nine games? Does he even get to nine games?

Strome hitting 30 points would be ok. From what we have seen the first three games I don't see Strome getting there.

Is Lucic hitting 20 goals a positive, negative or expected? His last four seasons have been 24/18/20/23. So I'd say expected.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You're doing it wrong shoop. You are supposed to pretend that there are no areas of concern and the team is absolutely fine as it sits right now - minus of course Sekera who will be back just in time for the push for the division title.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You're doing it wrong shoop. You are supposed to pretend that there are no areas of concern and the team is absolutely fine as it sits right now - minus of course Sekera who will be back just in time for the push for the division title.
I guess, I'd say he's doing fine. There are areas of concern right now, but I mean there are many are more then happy to proclaim the season over and wallow in whining about being failures.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

How about a little balance between everything is rosy and everybody sucks?
Not every loss is the end of the world like some are making it out to be and not every win means that everything is wonderful like some made it seem after the Calgary win and evidenced by a lot of people thinking that the Oilers were going to easily dismantle Vancouver. I know it's difficult on a forum with many different personalities but more reasoned discussion would be nice.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Benning being waived

Nuge being traded

Lucic hitting 20 goals.

Strome hitting 30 pts

are you f***ing kidding me? step off the ledge man, get a hobby

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
are you f***ing kidding me? step off the ledge man, get a hobby
He's being ridiculously facetious.

How about a little balance between everything is rosy and everybody sucks?
Not every loss is the end of the world like some are making it out to be and not every win means that everything is wonderful like some made it seem after the Calgary win and evidenced by a lot of people thinking that the Oilers were going to easily dismantle Vancouver. I know it's difficult on a forum with many different personalities but more reasoned discussion would be nice.
There are few people here who aren't having reasonable discussion. The second pairing is a huge concern for this team and if Vancouver and Wininpeg picked it apart I dread what the elite teams could do to it.

Simply waiting for Sekera to come back really shouldn't be the primary plan. It's possible the Oilers are too far out of it by the time he does return.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

There are few people here who aren't having reasonable discussion. The second pairing is a huge concern for this team and if Vancouver and Wininpeg picked it apart I dread what the elite teams could do to it.

Simply waiting for Sekera to come back really shouldn't be the primary plan. It's possible the Oilers are too far out of it by the time he does return.
No, it's not. It's a concern and they (along with the whole team) had bad 2 games. It's only a huge concern if you assume the team is ignoring it.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

I should hope so.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No, it's not. It's a concern and they (along with the whole team) had bad 2 games. It's only a huge concern if you assume the team is ignoring it.
I don't think the team is ignoring it but not doing anything about it is just as bad. Jimmi what bothers me is that the Sekera injury has been known for months. If he injured himself in TC or pre-season then fine, I wouldn't expect a quick fix... But this is something Chiarelli had all summer to address and pointedly did nothing. I like Benning a lot but he's being thrown to the wolves in a position he clearly isn't ready to play yet. Yes Sekera is not so easily replaceable but that second pairing is a nightmare right now.

The Jets outshot the Oilers 17-5 at even strength when Russell was on the ice and 19-6 when Benning was on the ice. That's a concern especially considering we weren't outshot by a large amount in the game itself.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I agree on the concerns about the defense but your second paragraph is part of what I'm talking about with the hyperbole. Do you honestly think the Oilers are going to be out of playoff contention entirely by the time Sekera comes back?

There will be some struggles along the way, as is the case with just about every team at some point throughout the course of a long season, but having Benning on the 2nd pairing and some youth on RW for a couple of months isn't going to sink the season IMO.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree on the concerns about the defense but your second paragraph is part of what I'm talking about with the hyperbole. Do you honestly think the Oilers are going to be out of playoff contention entirely by the time Sekera comes back?

There will be some struggles along the way, as is the case with just about every team at some point throughout the course of a long season, but having Benning on the 2nd pairing and some youth on RW for a couple of months isn't going to sink the season IMO.
Anyone who thinks we will be out of a playoff spot entirely when Sekera gets back is pure hyperbole.

I think we will be sitting right outside of a playoff spot simply because of our schedule till December. Lots of eastern teams. We went less than 0.500 against the east last year. I think the team will struggle (I said we will have 10 wins total by December 1st) but will still be in range to put in the Jets and be right back in it. Especially since most of our games against the division or after Christmas.

I think the team definitely takes a bit of a step back this year, but we are still a playoff team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Anyone who thinks we will be out of a playoff spot entirely when Sekera gets back is pure hyperbole.

I think we will be sitting right outside of a playoff spot simply because of our schedule till December. Lots of eastern teams. We went less than 0.500 against the east last year. I think the team will struggle (I said we will have 10 wins total by December 1st) but will still be in range to put in the Jets and be right back in it. Especially since most of our games against the division or after Christmas.

I think the team definitely takes a bit of a step back this year, but we are still a playoff team.

That's fair and I too think they will take a bit of a step back this year (it's hard to get 103 points) but I highly doubt that they only have 10 wins in the next 2 months. Even in these 2 losses, they had long stretches of carrying the play so this is a good team albeit with some flaws that need to be ironed out. Just make the playoffs and anything can happen.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There are absolutely no guarantees in this league. Chia should not take anything for granted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad