So much for the 'Sh-t Northern Division' narrative.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Only Tampa is clearly above the Habs level, really. The Habs that torched the Jets and won against Vegas can compete with everyone else
considering the Habs were badly outplayed in xG in every series other than the WPG series is very telling. The games are played on the ice and not in excel, so the Habs earned their spot in the finals, but to predict a repeat performance or say that the Habs are a team that can compete with anyone else when they were badly outplayed in 3 of their 4 series is a bit delusional.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
considering the Habs were badly outplayed in xG in every series other than the WPG series is very telling. The games are played on the ice and not in excel, so the Habs earned their spot in the finals, but to predict a repeat performance or say that the Habs are a team that can compete with anyone else when they were badly outplayed in 3 of their 4 series is a bit delusional.

I think they already have a lot of good pieces at the right place right now, and once the deadwood is took out (Tatar, Drouin, Staal, Merrill, Goofstavsson) and replaced, they'll be competitive yet again.

I also think some teams will drop in the standings

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think they already have a lot of good pieces at the right place right now, and once the deadwood is took out (Tatar, Drouin, Staal, Merrill, Goofstavsson) and replaced, they'll be competitive yet again.

I disagree with your feels and I’ll leave it at that

Reactions: LFCTML

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

That's the PC way of saying "bubble team." I do agree that it was nice to see some young talent shine.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Like most other teams, the Habs can play with anyone if their goalie goes on a heater. Otherwise, meh, the Habs play tough defense buttheir offense is almost non-existent, and we'll see next year if they have made real progress or this was a one-time fluke.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs outplayed every team they beat. You can repeat the opposite as many times as you wish, but it's still in your imagination, not on the ice.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We'll see what the northern division teams do in the off-season, but I'll maintain that there was more parity there than in any other division -- that is, the bottom of the north was better than the bottom of any other division. No Buffalos up there to beat up on.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Habs outplayed every team they beat. You can repeat the opposite as many times as you wish, but it's still in your imagination, not on the ice.
This is absolutely false.

They were out shot and out chanced in every series they played except the WPG series. They get full credit for finding ways to steal games again and again, but they did not outplay their opponents.

There is quantifiable data showing this.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
What this shows is that you can't judge teams based on 3on3 performance. We lost a lot of OT games in the regular season, but we were 6-1 in playoffs OT.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Now its time to put this on hold until next year where hopefully the normal division come back and we can finally put this discussion to bed.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

They were out shot and out chanced in every series they played except the WPG series. They get full credit for finding ways to steal games again and again, but they did not outplay their opponents.

No. Montreal's losses were by larger gaps than their wins – the overall possession stats are skewed by that. But they totally outplayed Toronto and Vegas in most of their wins. Obvious exception being the game where Vegas massively outshot Montreal and lost, but that was balanced by Montreal massively outshooting Tampa and losing. There was no 'stealing games' – that's slanted personal prose.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think your terminology is wrong. The Habs weren't badly outplayed in any series. They were outplayed by the Lightning. Maybe you mean the Habs were outchanced in some other series?

I don't think you'll ever find a team win a best of 7 series in which they were badly outplayed throughout the series. The Habs were the better team in each of the first 3 series (although the Leafs series was obviously very close).

Cheers!

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The representative from the North made it one round further than expected. This happens every year. Doesn't really prove much of anything other than Montreal was able to best Vegas in that particular series.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
You can't win a series with expected goals.

Also, Carey Price is a player on the Montreal Canadiens. Saying stuff like 'Montreal isn't that good, they only got to the final because of Price' doesn't make any sense.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

You build your team around an elite goaltender for exactly these reasons.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
more feels based arguments and nothing based on actual evidence...

Why?

I take the Habs roster over Panthers any day of the week.
What the Panthers have over the Habs is more elite talent (Barkov is IMO a top 5 center in the league) but who knows what Suzuki and Caufield will look like next year, together.

They looked awesome in the playoffs at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad