So much for the 'Sh-t Northern Division' narrative.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This is a very important distinction. Do the habs and Lightning deserve to be in the cup finals? Absolutely. They both won 3 series to get where they are right now.

are the habs and Tampa the two best teams in the NHL this year? That seems extremely debatable for the Habs and completely different than if they deserve to be here. Considering Tampa had a harder time in each of their first 3 series, it’s not hard to make the argument that the habs are the least talented team Tampa has played in these playoffs.
I concur with this.
To be honest, as much as people don't like to admit it, there is so much luck that goes into playoff success. Injuries, a team hitting their stride at the right time, goaltending, etc.

It's incredibly rare that the two 'best' teams in the league meet in the Cup Finals.
And this year, there is a finer point placed on that fact. I'm certainly not arguing that Montreal is 1st or 2nd best in terms of where I expect they would end up next season while playing every team.

Earnestly, it's possible that they won't make the playoffs next season. However, I don't think that diminishes this season. They have come together and done incredible things and they should be really proud of themselves whether tonight is the end or not.

And it's not like they beat Buffalo, Columbus, and New Jersey to get here, they absolutely earned their place in the finals. They are also coming against a runaway train.

Tampa finished not so far away from the President's trophy and did it without Kucherov, missed Stamkos for awhile, and with Hedman playing through injury. Also, they know how to win. Anyone who thinks this is surprising, or that it's 'proof' that the Canadiens were pretenders is coming in with an agenda.

2012 Devils and 2014 Rangers come to mind also as teams that barely belonged on the same rink as their opponents (the Kings both times, respectively), but they still earned their place in the finals and should be proud of themselves.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Habs seem out of their league in this Final, but the teams that could've been here instead of them either lost to them or lost to a team that lost to them. That doesn't generate much confidence that any of them would've really challenged Tampa.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
The Habs seem out of their league in this Final, but the teams that could've been here instead of them either lost to them or lost to a team that lost to them. That doesn't generate much confidence that any of them would've really challenged Tampa.

It's all about matchups.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
well the transitive property doesn't exist in sports. Just because a team lost to Montreal doesn't mean it would lose to Tampa. Montreal is a scrappy team for sure, but looking objectively Toronto beats them 9 out of 10 times in a series, not taking anything away from Montreal, but they are also playing against a team that somehow magically got to replace a star player in LTIR, have that player magically come back for game 1 of the playoffs AND keep the replacements brought it. Its not a fair fight and IMO Tampa is an * win

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I concur with this.
To be honest, as much as people don't like to admit it, there is so much luck that goes into playoff success. Injuries, a team hitting their stride at the right time, goaltending, etc.

It's incredibly rare that the two 'best' teams in the league meet in the Cup Finals.
And this year, there is a finer point placed on that fact. I'm certainly not arguing that Montreal is 1st or 2nd best in terms of where I expect they would end up next season while playing every team.

Earnestly, it's possible that they won't make the playoffs next season. However, I don't think that diminishes this season. They have come together and done incredible things and they should be really proud of themselves whether tonight is the end or not.

And it's not like they beat Buffalo, Columbus, and New Jersey to get here, they absolutely earned their place in the finals. They are also coming against a runaway train.

Tampa finished not so far away from the President's trophy and did it without Kucherov, missed Stamkos for awhile, and with Hedman playing through injury. Also, they know how to win. Anyone who thinks this is surprising, or that it's 'proof' that the Canadiens were pretenders is coming in with an agenda.

2012 Devils and 2014 Rangers come to mind also as teams that barely belonged on the same rink as their opponents (the Kings both times, respectively), but they still earned their place in the finals and should be proud of themselves.

3/4 teams in the final four this year were also in the final 4 last year. That's not luck.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
3/4 teams in the final four this year were also in the final 4 last year. That's not luck.
I'm not discrediting good teams by calling them lucky, I'm saying even once you have a great team you need luck.

As an example, it's possible that if Lee isn't hurt and you get a couple of bounces, the Islanders could have won this cup.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Rangers led in that series for almost every minute that a team had a lead. They absolutely belonged. Their coach blew the series in 5 when it should've easily gone 6 or 7. Bc he's an idiot who turtles his team with the lead for over a period.

Though hank certainly covered a lot of warts

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Rangers led in that series for almost every minute that a team had a lead. They absolutely belonged. Their coach blew the series in 5 when it should've easily gone 6 or 7. Bc he's an idiot who turtles his team with the lead for over a period.

Though hank certainly covered a lot of warts
I was cheering hard for the Rangers, I hated the Kings. But the actual run of the play was such that it just felt like the Kings were always a step ahead, winning every puck, etc.

The Rangers played valiantly.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I was cheering hard for the Rangers, I hated the Kings. But the actual run of the play was such that it just felt like the Kings were always a step ahead, winning every puck, etc.

The Rangers played valiantly.
Story of Hanks career is the team was always lesser in comparison to the opponent.

But some of them looking behind is bc they literally kept changing tactics with the lead and turtling

Last edited:

Gally999

Aug 19, 2020
Don't confuse Price going on a heater for a couple of weeks with the Habs being something other than a middlin' team that lucked its way into the finals.
Ooook, I'm pretty sure then that we can say the same thing about Vegas? "Vezina" Fleury just hid the fact than Vegas is just a middlin' team that lucked its way into the playoffs?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
well the transitive property doesn't exist in sports. Just because a team lost to Montreal doesn't mean it would lose to Tampa. Montreal is a scrappy team for sure, but looking objectively Toronto beats them 9 out of 10 times in a series, not taking anything away from Montreal, but they are also playing against a team that somehow magically got to replace a star player in LTIR, have that player magically come back for game 1 of the playoffs AND keep the replacements brought it. Its not a fair fight and IMO Tampa is an * win

Just as there is no transitive property in spots, there is no property which makes it at all logical to say “objectively team A beats team B 9 out of 10 times”. Has zero basis in reality and actually ignores probably the most basic reality of sport at the highest level.

As well, we are talking about the Leafs who seem to take pride at this point in not winning anything ever.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Just as there is no transitive property in spots, there is no property which makes it at all logical to say “objectively team A beats team B 9 out of 10 times”. Has zero basis in reality and actually ignores probably the most basic reality of sport at the highest level.

As well, we are talking about the Leafs who seem to take pride at this point in not winning anything ever.
there's a truth to that, I was using it for emphasis. however the regular season did is the "property" that made it logical to say Toronto would beat Montreal.

logical doesn't equal right or the truth.

Toronto does seem to enjoy losing when it matters most though, I'll give you that. Comical at this point.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Laffs would have been stomped by any team we faced lol

The Leafs are a more talented team than the Habs, no doubts, but they are nowhere near as gritty. And you need grit and heart to advance. Leafs have none of that

Reactions: Blacephalon

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Laffs would have been stomped by any team we faced lol

The Leafs are a more talented team than the Habs, no doubts, but they are nowhere near as gritty. And you need grit and heart to advance. Leafs have none of that
I mean its super easy to be cocky now,

but a month ago most Montreal were in a corner of HF crying and talking about how Bergevin needs to be fired and the team blown up.

Reactions: Kurtz

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I mean its super easy to be cocky now,

but a month ago most Montreal were in a corner of HF crying and talking about how Bergevin needs to be fired and the team blown up.

He's still probably a goner lol
Wouldn't be surprised if Roy is the GM next year!

And yeah, it's easy, but the boys worked their asses, they played "blood and guts" hockey and here they are

Reactions: Oilslick941611

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Toronto, MTL, Winnipeg and Edm are making the playoffs next year.

This playoff run is giving tremendous experience to MTL's young players. Romanov, Caufield, Suzuki and KK are only going to get better. They'll also get a rested and healthy Drouin back.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
No one is being cocky...the two best teams are in the finals right now and that's Tampa and Montreal. The results speak for themselves.

its absolutely untrue that Montreal is one of the two best teams in the NHL. Gutsy, full of heart, and came together at the right time, absolutely, and that is not taking anything away from them, but to call them one of the best teams in the league is a disservice to the NHL. Because of the way playoffs are set up the finals isn't always (and probably never has had) the two best teams in the league in it.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
This playoff run is giving tremendous experience to MTL's young players. Romanov, Caufield, Suzuki and KK are only going to get better. They'll also get a rested and healthy Drouin back.
This was almost word for word the exact same quote used last offseason about the Habs. Then they went out and barely improved on their 19-20 regular season.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Toronto, MTL, Winnipeg and Edm are making the playoffs next year.

so your guaranteeing they are going to grab one of those wildcard spots? With divisional realignment?
Boston, Toronto, florida, Tampa in the same division.
So essentially saying they are a lock to beat out one of the Metro’s

good luck with that.

Reactions: bl02

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
so your guaranteeing they are going to grab one of those wildcard spots? With divisional realignment?
Boston, Toronto, florida, Tampa in the same division.
So essentially saying they are a lock to beat out one of the Metro’s

good luck with that.

Only Tampa is clearly above the Habs level, really. The Habs that torched the Jets and won against Vegas can compete with everyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad