So does Toronto now have the best centers in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I'm a Leafs fan, but if Pittsburgh literally didn't have a 3rd or 4th line centre, and just ran 10 forwards, they would have better centre depth than Toronto. Toronto is definitely top 5 tho, and if Crosby and Malkin start declining sooner than we expect, they may take the #1 spot.

Reactions: dukeofjive

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Prime Crosby+Malkin is probably THE BEST one two punch in history of hockey.

That said,

Kadri as a third center who can produce and also play well defensively is the kicker if the top two lines play to a stalemate

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
From 1st to 3rd line center absolutely they are...

Now from 1st to 2nd I'd say they rank 3rd behind Pittsburgh and Edmonton
Can't say that I am convinced about Pitt until I see them play but it is probably right. Edmonton is completely wrong.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Oh hells yeah they do.
Ill easily take the Backstrom - Kuznetsov - Eller trio over Matthews, Tavares and Kadri, Id also take the Pittsburg trio as well.

Kuznetsov > Matthews
Backstrom > Tavares
Kadri > Eller

As of right now, I feel Kuznetsov and Matthews are close but Kuznetsovs ability to make players around him better is almost unrivalled he was a huge reason the Capitals won the cup this year. He is also controls the play on a very strong capitals power play. Whereas Marner does that for the Leafs. I also feel that Kuznetsov takes his play to a whole other level in the playoffs whereas Matthews has a record of fading while under pressure.

The Backstrom - Tavares comparison is close, Backstrom being a .98 PPG player and Tavares a .93 PPG

Eller was a monster in the playoffs this year but I would still take Kadri over Eller at this point.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Compared to the top centers they are definitely at the bottom. Going to hurt the team as they age.
Leafs likely have the fastest wingers in the league, though.

just think about this... marleau is the slowest winger in the top 9

that kinda boggles my mind tbh

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Washington and Pittsburgh both have a strong case for #1 depending on your preference in player but Toronto is firmly in 3rd.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Also for the Leafs fans touting that they have the best forward group in the league.. You don't. Comparing the Leafs forward group to the Capitals group that just won the cup its not close.

Ovechkin >>> Nylander
Kuznetsov > Matthews
Wilson >> Hyman

Backstrom > Tavares
Oshie > Marleau
Vrana << Marner

Eller < Kadri
Burakovsky >/= Kapanen
Connolly >/= Johnsson

Don't even get me started on the Defensive pairings or Goaltending

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i think matthews will be better than tavares soon enough, but sid is still better than matthews and malkin better than tavares, like not a lot better but better...but hockey is still played on a line, and matthews and tavares will get to play with very talented linesmates in marner and nylander, so they might have the advantage...then with the best 3rd line C in nhl, i take leafs 3rd line too

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
hmmm op must be talking khl or something.

I would take the wager that if Toronto played in the central …. they would be lucky to make the playoffs

still way to soft and no defence

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I love how smug Pens fans are. Just remember that leafs took 2 of 3 last year with a core of guys who can't grow beards and will likely sweep this year.
And the pens have taken 2 of the last 3 cups. If there's an incongruity between success and smugness it's not pens fans that are guilty.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
We still have to see this trio play out in practice.

Not a single person should be surprised if they’re better than the pens centers overall considering their ages.

Reactions: Notsince67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad