So does Toronto now have the best centers in the league?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby has been ~1.1 points per game player for four years now. I don't see how he's that much better than Matthews, who is just incredible at 5vs5 with low ice time.

Crosby has 2 Conn Smythes and a Rocket while missing 7 games in the last 3 years, and played at a 97 pt pace last year. Context lil’ bro.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It is, but it’s better to spend on bluechip assets who are actually worth that money than spreading out the cap on a bunch of B and C level guys.
Your correct but you still need to fill out a capable defense other wise your wasting the league best offence in my opinion right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Absolutely, not up for debate, Kadri is the best 3rd line center in the NHL

I mean it most certaintly isn't up for debate as Pittsburgh is the clear team with the best Cs.

Both Crosby and Malkin are cleary better than Matthews and Tavares.

Brassard and Kadri are near even, edge to Kadri.

And Sheahan is better than Jooris or whomever makes the roster as the 4C.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Makes no sense to move nylander though he’s a winger. Right now we have 3 deadly combos of :
Matthews nylander
Tavares marner
Kadri Marleau
You do but how will you improve the defence without cap space or even trade bait?? Gotta give to get and right now you are stacked upfront but weak on RHD.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If Sheahan is being brought up in the conversation, just concede.

-signed DRW fans everywhere

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean it most certaintly isn't up for debate as Pittsburgh is the clear team with the best Cs.

You don't seem to understand we don't care who the 4th line center is right now.

It does not matter

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Crosby and Malkin are both better than Tavares or Matthews so I don't see a world in which Pittsburgh doesn't have the best center depth in the NHL. Let's be real Malkin and Crosby are 2 of the top 3 players so far in the salary cap era and besides McDavid there is probably no other center that will get to this level even though Matthews is obviously an amazing player.

I'm also impressed how underrated Backstrom is no matter what he does. Dude is almost a point per game player over 800 games yet Tavares and Matthews are somehow easily better than him

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Easily, but lets not forget that many people have an irrational hatred of the Leafs so our talent is always downplayed.

Toronto now has TWO #1 elite centres on its team Matthews & Tavares to go along with Marner, Nylander, Marleau and company. I personally don't see a better forward crop than Toronto.

With Andersen's solid goaltending and our D which isn't as bad as people make it out to be the Leafs are now a legitimate contender as much as any other.
Its "rational" "hatred" of their insufferable fan base, not the hockey team; and no Penguins are better

Reactions: Tazer19

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
No when the top 3 are Matthews Tavares and Kadri that's about as good as it gets you can argue Pittsburgh but Brassard is not Kadri

And Matthews/Tavares are no Crosby/Malkin

Give it a couple years and things will change but at this time Crosby/Malkin tip the scales.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You keep holding on to small sample sizes to judge players.

Matthews scores at the same pace as Kuzy but scores much more goals and scores alot better at EV strength. And please don't use "he folds in the playoffs" based off a few games.

Remeber when Kuzy had 2 points in 12 games in a playoff run.

It's all too small of a sample to judge players off of..

Tavares and Backstrom both score at around the same pace. Except one scores more goals and does it with Josh Bailey and Pa Parenteau as his main wings. And Tavares is not a one dimensional C. That's one of the most absurd things ive seen.

All 3 Maple leaf Cs are better than the Caps Cs head to head.

Matthews who has yet to score 70 points and can barely get along with Babcock because of how much he half asses everything else is better than Kuzy... my f***ing sides.

Tavares who has been surpassed by Barzal his rookie season is better than Backstrom, who is good for PPG with anybody and is a shutdown player to boot... sure lol

Pens fans really need to let it go, the playoffs were like 2 months ago

Reactions: Tazer19

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
You do but how will you improve the defence without cap space or even trade bait?? Gotta give to get and right now you are stacked upfront but weak on RHD.
No team is built perfectly. We just took a 105 pt team and added John Tavares. We’re much improved. There will be minor improvements on D but the leafs are a big contender.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Pittsburgh certainly has the edge here, but I don’t think I trade our forward group for any other in the league personally. Could see an argument being made for PIT, TB, WPG, but that’s about it

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018

Massive edge to kadri you mean. Jooris will be on the Marlies, we don’t have a 4C right now so it remains to be seen

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pittsburgh and Washington still really high up there. Give this 20 games or so to figure out. It’ll be interesting to see how they manage Kadri’s minutes.

Very high end though. This offence might now be good enough to deal with a very underwhelming backend. Now they can kind of do that Pittsburgh model; that two lines require major defensive work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad