So does Toronto now have the best centers in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews and Tavares should realistically both be point per game in a good year. Kadri 30/30. So the answer is probably top 3 minimum.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Matthews who has yet to score 70 points and can barely get along with Babcock because of how much he half asses everything else is better than Kuzy... my ****ing sides.

Tavares who has been surpassed by Barzal his rookie season is better than Backstrom, who is good for PPG with anybody and is a shutdown player to boot... sure lol

Pens fans really need to let it go, the playoffs were like 2 months ago

Tavares outscored Backstrom by 12 points playing with Josh Bailey.

Also. Saying Matthews has yet to score 70 points is misleading and you know it.

Matthews scores more goals than Kuzy...scores points at the same pace. All while being a much superior 5v5 player and very good defensively.

And Kadri is so far ahead of Eller it's funny.

I couldn't care less about the Caps winning. I wanted them too. Was cheering hard for Ovi.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Let's take a look at what would happen if they all continued with their career-average production to date:

TOR - Matthews (75.17 points) + Tavares (76.17 points) + Kadri (52.59 points) = 203.93 points
PIT - Crosby (105.92 points) + Malkin (97.27 points) + Brassard (49.02 points) = 252.21 points

How about over the past 3 season?

TOR - Matthews (75.17 points) + Tavares (76.12 points) + Kadri (55.47 points) = 206.76 points
PIT - Crosby (91.00 points) + Malkin (94.90 points) + Brassard (50.33 points) = 236.23 points

And the past 2 seasons?

TOR - Matthews (75.17 points) + Tavares (77.36 points) + Kadri (58.72 points) = 211.25 points
PIT - Crosby (92.97 points) + Malkin (99.57 points) + Brassard (45.56 points) = 238.10 points
Just quoting this again to show how clearly it's in the pens favor. Matthews/Tavares are 70-80 point level players. Crosby/Malkin are 90-100 point level players. Difference between Brassard and Kadri is much smaller.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You're in here arguing for C depth you potato, you should care.

The Leafs can literally have a first line level centre each out on the ice for 18 min a game without over working any of them..... that’s 54 minutes of icetime in total.

Can’t really name another team that has that option

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Just quoting this again to show how clearly it's in the pens favor. Matthews/Tavares are 70-80 point level players. Crosby/Malkin are 90-100 point level players. Difference between Brassard and Kadri is much smaller.

I don't want to say it's guaranteed, because nothing ever is, especially in hockey, but it's incredibly unlikely that Matthews gets stuck at 80-points throughout the next 5-10 seasons, especially with Tavares there to shelter him from playing against top defensive players. Especially once he learns to use his size and strength, Matthews should at least match Malkin's numbers. The Penguins still clearly currently have the better centres, but by 2020-21 this trio will probably easily be tops in the league.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No team is built perfectly. We just took a 105 pt team and added John Tavares. We’re much improved. There will be minor improvements on D but the leafs are a big contender.
I'm not knocking the signing as I think it's great but you can only play so many top 6's and you have too many now. Depth is great and I understand that but you also need it on D. You guys are in a position to be great but you still need a RHD and doesn't have to be a star but a capable top 4. Good luck you will definitely be fun to watch this coming season.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't want to say it's guaranteed, because nothing ever is, especially in hockey, but it's incredibly unlikely that Matthews gets stuck at 80-points throughout the next 5-10 seasons, especially with Tavares there to shelter him from playing against top defensive players. Especially once he learns to use his size and strength, Matthews should at least match Malkin's numbers. The Penguins still clearly currently have the better centres, but by 2020-21 this trio will probably easily be tops in the league.
Well yea I'm certainly not arguing for the 2021 penguins here. Crosby/Malkin will have big declines in 3-4 years. But based on what we saw just a couple months ago they are still 2 of the top 3 centers in the league.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Also Kadri had back to back 30 plus goal seasons. Brassard has never scored 30 once. It isn’t close.

I mean...it is close. If you look at points and not just goals. That's not Brassard game.

Brassard had 46 points in 72 games this year. Only 6 on the PP. He outscored Kadri 5v5 this year in 8 less games playing mostly in horrible Ottawa. I doubt Kadri puts up 32 goals on Ottawa.

Reactions: Tazer19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad