Weal

Brodin-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Chiarot-Fleury
Kulikov-Mete

Price
Brossoit
Primeau

Up the Russian factor a bit to woo Romanov, trade for Brodin to play beside Weber, sign a decent experienced backup. Play the youngsters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
3loszn.jpg
Tbnk bergy

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Alright I start shopping Danault/Domi for help we don't need both. There is arguements for both though I personally think Domi is harder to replace of the two.

We need help in two key areas up front size and the elusive #1 center. Is it possible to get a big center?

Just based off of names I've heard floating around I would target Vatanen as a UFA thus making Weber or Petry tradeable to get younger. That market is impossible to gauge without actually fielding calls from other gms.

I would target Anderson from Columbus as a reclamation project. Prospects and picks if a roster player is necessary Lehkonen can be involved

Brodin from Minny for Domi

Lineup looks blown up a bit but improved

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Byron - Danault - Armia
Lehkonen/filler - Evans - Filler

Brodin - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Chiarot - Fleury

Still not a contender but placing the future into the hands of the youth down the middle. The Danault line can play some great defensive minutes while chipping in offensively.

Anderson adds size and scoring to the lineup. Our defense has depth. If Suzuki improves on his rookie campaign and turns into a 60 guy next year we are closer and Kotka rounding into a 40-50 guy in his third season.

Way it looks to me is a fringe 1st line and a 2a/2b set up with an improved defense. I didn't include Vatanen because UFA market is notoriously hard to build from for Montreal. Kovalchuk could come in instead of Byron perhaps.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Depth chart for next year with what we currently have:

CENTERS
1. Nick Suzuki
2. Phillip Danault
3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
4. Jake Evans
5. Ryan Poehling
6. Joe Blandisi
7. Lukas Vejdemo
8. Laurent Dauphin
9. Alexandre Alain
10. Arsen Khisamutdinov
11. Aaron Luchuk

WINGERS
1. Tomas Tatar
2. Brendan Gallagher
3. Max Domi
4. Jonathan Drouin
5. Joel Armia
6. Paul Byron
7. Artturi Lehkonen
8. Charles Hudon
9. Jordan Weal
10. Jesse Ylonen
11. Alex Belzile
12. Joel Teasdale
13. Jake Lucchini
14. Cam Hillis
15. Michael Pezzetta
16. Cole Fonstad
17. Rafael Harvey-Pinard

DEFENSEMAN
1. Shea Weber
2. Jeff Petry
3. Ben Chiarot
4. Victor Mete
5. Alexander Romanov
6. Cale Fleury
7. Karl Alzner
8. Brett Kulak
9. Xavier Ouellet
10. Gustav Olofsson
11. Noah Juulsen
12. Josh Brook
13. Jordan Harris
14. Otto Leskinen

GOALIES
1. Carey Price
2. Charlie Lindgren
3. Cayden Primeau
4. Michael McNiven

TOTAL CONTRACTS: 46

...4 available spots for an upgrade on D + maybe Kovalchuk + maybe one KHL signing? AHL vets?

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Dude, if by pure chance this is what this team will look like next year, then we're at the bottom of the league once again....add in an injury to any one of these guys, and we are literally last.
That's probably what will happen though. Status quo because:
A. Signing players is hard (no s***, no quality UFAs will want to sign here)
B. Probably no rookies will make any difference because we don't have much prospects quality
C. "I believe we have a team to push for a playoffs spot"

There you go, enjoy 20-21.

Reactions: LaP

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
That's probably what will happen though. Status quo because:
A. Signing players is hard (no s***, no quality UFAs will want to sign here)
B. Probably no rookies will make any difference because we don't have much prospects quality
C. "I believe we have a team to push for a playoffs spot"

There you go, enjoy 20-21.

Along the same lines, I posted this a while back in another thread, but i think it's better served here:

Not trying to be sarcastic here, but how exactly are we supposed to be better next year?

Forget the UFA route - this year's class is terrible and whoever is somewhat worthwhile (Hoffman, Hall) is not gonna sign here anyway.

Our young core will continue to improve you say? Who exactly? Sure, Suzuki, but how much can he possibly improve to next year - 65 points realistically if everything breaks right and he avoids the very real sophomore slump? Lehks, Armia and Danault are who they are - 15 to 22 goal scorers perfectly suited for the third line, so no real improvement next year. Same for Tatar - decent player who gets his 20-25 goals playing in the top 6, nothing more.

Domi and Drouin are the true wildcards and who the hell knows what to expect, but its safe to say Drouin will never be the 30-35 goal scoring game changer people imagined.
Don't even want to mention Mete, but let's just say I've been calling it forever - that he's nothing more than an overated 6th or 7th dman and he'll be lucky if he still has a place on this team.

As for the vets, if anything, they'll regress. How much more can Weber, Price and Gallagher possibly have to give? One will probably need offseason surgery, one is getting burnt out from all the games he's been asked to play because this bozo gm can't find a backup and the other can't be expected to give more than he has (and god forbid he gets another concussion).

What about the young guys coming up you say? Who exactly will move the needle? Poeling has a very limited offensive ceiling, Vedejmo and Evans are fourth line plugs, Caufield, Harris and Struble need at least another year of seasoning, Fleury is a bottom 6 dman, Romanov, i mean , some people make it sound like he is the second coming of Chris Pronger...give the kid a break. Even if he makes the team (which is not a given as most expect) he has never been an offensive force anyways. And Brooks had a tough year and already has people questioning his hockey iq and strength, so forget making an impact with the big club next year.

That leaves Kotka, but at this point, no one has a clue what to expect. Even if he bounces back, how much can we really expect out of him - 15 goals?

oh...i almost forgot about Primeau, sure he'll be better that the garbage we've had, but last time i checked he can't score goals.

I won't even mention the likes of Ikonen, Olofsson, and Ylonen who are at least 2 years away (if they even pan out, which i don't think will happen),

Yes folks, enjoy this season cuz it will probably be worse next year all thanks to our glorious gm.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
Tomas Tatar Phillip Danault Brendan Gallagher
Evgeni Dadonov Tyler Johnson Joel Armia
Artturi Lehkonen Erik Haula Nicolas Aubé-Kubel
Paul Byron Jake Evans Trevor Lewis
Jordan Weal
Dmitri Orlov Shea Weber
Ben Chiarot Noah Juulsen Cale Fleury
Alexander Romanov (D) Travis Hamonic /not sure with Jeff Petry money would work but if money work then ofc replace hamonic for Petry
Brett Kulak Luke Witkowski
Carey Price
Craig Anderson

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I would trade Drouin to Anaheim for Lindholm
I would trade Domi to Minnesota for Brodin

my defense will look like this in front of Price

Price
Primeau/Lindgren

Brodin Weber
Lindholm Petry
Chariot Fleury
Romanov-Mete

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lafreneire Suzuki Byron
Haula Kotkaniemi Armia
Lehkonen Poehling Eakin
Soderberg

If we have Lafrenière we don’t have problems any more.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If Molson isn't going to fire MB, he should at least give him some homework over the summer.

He needs to unload Drouin. Yeah, I know he'll be selling low but honestly this is the highest his stock will ever be. I'm betting neither Poehling nor KK will be close to making the Habs so MB needs to get two power forwards: a right-winger and a left-winger. Knowing MB this will be next to impossible. He also needs to get decent 4th line players: a center and a right winger. This he can do in his sleep. He's brilliant at tinkering with his 4th line. I'm betting Romanov and Juulsen/Fleury will not be NHL ready so our fearful leader will need to get a 2nd pair left d-man and an NHL 3rd pair right d-man. Oh, and FFS pick up a decent back-up, you moron, and protect your 85 million dollar investment.

Tatar Danault Gally
____ Suzuki Armia
Byron Domi ______
Lehky _____ _____

Chiarot Weber
_____ Petry
Mete ____

Price
___

I'll be back in October to see how he did and give him a failing mark

Reactions: Destopcorner

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
As title says, build your team for next year. No trades, but sign any UFA/prospect you want. Assume we won't draft a NHL ready talent this year.

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Domi - Danault - Hoffman
Drouin - KK- Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Weal

Brodie - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak , Juulsen

Price
Greiss/Talbot/Halak/Khudobin

It works if Hoffman/Brodie/Khudobin signs for a combined 11.35 millions+whatever the cap increase is.

I had it at Hoffman 7m, Brodie 5m, Khudobin 2m. Domi 4m, Juulsen 1m, Mete 2m and Evans 0.9

Ideally, Byron is traded so we have more money for UFA and we sign some 4th liner for around 1m.
Vital not to neglect the backup goalie. Don't know about Greiss anymore: he played behind a well-coached defensive team, and got vastly outplayed by Varlamov. Khodobin, on the other hand, seems to have outplayed Bishop, who is not chopped liver. A better rested Price, better motivated also by competition with a strong backup, only adds to the value of a top backup. If on top of that, MB manages to snag a top-pair defenseman on the left side, this becomes a much more competitive team. All of this assuming that the talent is deployed based on performance and optimized by the coach (no favorites, as few inexplicable choices as possible, a certain level of stability).

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
If Wade Allison doesn't sign with Philly he is gonna be a free agent. We could use a big physical guy on the bottom 6 for sure. I'd give him a shot with whatever he wants.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
My team:

President: Serge Savard(?)
GM: Marc Bergevin
Coach: Gerrard Gallant

Signings:
Romanov $925k x 3
Caufield (Spring 2020) $925k x 3
Domi $5.8M x 5
Mete $1.5M x 3
Evans $1M x 2
Folin $900k x 1
Mike Smith $2.5M x 1

Trades:
2 x 2nds for Ryan Murray
Jordan Weal (50% retained), 4th for Cederic Pacquette

Lineup:
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Suzuki - Lehkonen
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Pacquette - Evans

Chiarot - Weber
Murray - Petry
Mete - Romanov
Kulak

Price
Smith

Callups:
Poeling, Caufield, Fleury

Let Poeling and Caufield play together and graduate into full time roles in 2021-22 to replace Tatar, Lehkonen (who would be retained but moved down the lineup). Pacquette would be a great 4C and allow guys like Poeling and Evans time to earn their roles. Even though he only makes $1.65M TB will be very tight to the cap so they may look to move him. He only has a year left and could be re-signed at a cheap cost or allowed to walk and replaced internally by someone like Evans or Poeling.

Murray I think could be had and is a nice top 4 LHD they could acquire without much cost. Can't sign all these picks anyway. Allows them to immediately improve the D while allowing Romanov the chance to ease into the NA game. Romanov could even go to Laval, with 6 proven NHL D men on the roster besides him.

Mike Smith I think would be a nice fit because he's a very capable goaltender that plays the puck just as well as Price. This allows the team to play the same way in front of him. I think it's the right kind of guy to succeed in that spot playing 20-30 games. Again, this allows Cayden Primeau to play as a starter and possibly graduate to full time backup in 2021-22.

I think this is a nice mix of icing a much more competitive team while looking towards the future. There's still going to be opportunities for young guys to step up into a role when injuries happen, without counting on the young guys to be an important part of the team. I like the depth at every position on this roster. If a centre goes down you have Domi, Evans, Poeling who can all play. D has better depth.

I think this team could not only make the playoffs but be good enough to be a legit contender as soon as next year. And their potential only goes up from there.

Ryan Murray is a serious gamble, given his injury history. Two 2nd round picks for whatever his final contract year yields for us seems pretty expensive to me but, acquiring a high risk, high reward player like Murray could be more achievable than most cockamamie ideas thrown about.

I'd rather try to re-sign Kovalchuk than play Lehkonen in the top-6.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Suzuki - Kovalchuk
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Poehling/Evans - Byron

Chiarot - Weber
Murray - Petry
Romanov - Fleury
Kulak

Price
Smith

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dude, if by pure chance this is what this team will look like next year, then we're at the bottom of the league once again....add in an injury to any one of these guys, and we are literally dead last.

You appear to be able to predict the future accurately dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad