HF Habs: So, build next year team...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mete, Domi, Ylonen + lottery 1st is way too much to give up for Lindholm & Getzlaf.

Sort of agree on that but started high to show the point that we can make some moves if we choose to do so. However, if we win any of the top 3 spots, I'm not trading the pick. I'm only trading the pick if it's 6-10 or 8-12 range. Some good talent in that range but no star from what I see.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Domi + Byron (50%) + Kulak vs Samuel Girard, Josh Anderson 3rd 2020 (toronto) + 5 th 2020 (colorado)

Hall (3x10) Suzuki Armia
Lafrenière Kotkaniemi Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Poehling Lehkonen
Weal

Chiarot Weber
Romanov Petry
Girard Fleury
Mete Juulsen

Price
Crawford

So, you pay not enough for Girard to play him on the 3rd pairing ?

I guess that Anderson is just a throw in of a contract?

Hall isn't signing that type of deal. He's going to want 7 years at probably 8.5/9 and get his money. He could get more than that, too. Wouldn't surprise me if a dumbass team pays 10 mill per

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Ideally.. to be a contender (lol)

? - ? - ?
Domi - Suzuki - ?
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - ? - Armia

? - Weber
? - Petry
Chiarot - ?

Price
?

In sum we miss:
- A legit top line (LW, C , RW) we have none of that
- A better 2nd line winger than Drouin
- A legit 4th line center
- A legit left side top defenseman
- A legit 2nd pair left defenseman
- A better bottom pair right defenseman
- A better backup

As you can see... not possible...

This is a bit cynical. Idk what you’re expecting.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'll stay realistic and write down what I think will happen in the next few months, with Bergevin in charge, based on a cap ceiling of 83M$;

- Domi being re-signed 6 years, $6,500,000 AAV (Brayden Schenn being the comparison)
- Weise being re-signed 1 year, $850,000
- Mete being re-signed 2 years, $2,250,000

- Evans starting on the 4th line (re-signed to an AAV of $925,000)

- Drouin being traded to Colorado vs Nikita Zadorov (subsequently signed to a 5 years, $5,000,000 AAV contract)
- Thomas Greiss being signed 2 years, $2,500,000 AAV
- Kyle Clifford being signed 2 years, $2,500,000 AAV
- Ilya Kovalchuk being signed 1 year, $3,500,000 AAV

Byron - Domi - Armia
Kovalchuk - Suzuki - Lehkonen
Clifford - Evans - Weal
Weise

Zadorov - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Price
Greiss

That's fully what I expect to see. I don't expect neither Caufield or Romanov to be able to make it to the NHL next season.

Still, knowing Bergevin, even this I think is too much to hope for. Odds are we have the EXACT same lineup, and sign Erik Gustafsson and Jimmy Howard.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Ideally.. to be a contender (lol)

? - ? - ?
Domi - Suzuki - ?
Lehkonen - ? - Armia

? - Weber
? - Petry
Chiarot - ?

Price
?

In sum we miss:
- A legit top line (LW, C , RW) we have none of that
- A better 2nd line winger than Drouin
- A legit 4th line center
- A legit left side top defenseman
- A legit 2nd pair left defenseman
- A better bottom pair right defenseman
- A better backup

As you can see... not possible...

I don't 100% disagree with this post, but Armia should definitely be a top-9 player

You're missing the fact that you don't really need to have a ''true'' 1st line or 1st pairing in order to win, just look at St.Louis' top-6 it wasnt all superstars or Vegas' defense when they made the Stanley Cup Final

Sure you need more elite players but to say we're missing a whole 1st line is a bit misleading.

You gotta hope KK, Caufield, Suzuki, Primeau and Romanov can develop well and that Bergevin makes some solid deals/signings in the next 2 years. There is potential in this team but you just need to develop the kids better than in the past (and have some luck in the draft...)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Danault needs to go if we truly want Kk to thrive. Not Danault's fault, but with him in the lineup, julien will forever play him on the top line with all top plays and let Kk rot with Lehkonen type of players
I’d rather get rid of Julien and put Danault on the 3rd then anoint Julien the HC and trade Danault

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
If bergevin is still around, which is likely. The team will be exactly the same except with a couple new 4th liners and romanov. So in otherwords the team will be slightly worse

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Ennis-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Armia
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen
Byron-Evans-Hudon
Weal

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Ouellette

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I'll stay realistic and write down what I think will happen in the next few months, with Bergevin in charge, based on a cap ceiling of 83M$;

- Domi being re-signed 6 years, $6,500,000 AAV (Brayden Schenn being the comparison)
- Weise being re-signed 1 year, $850,000
- Mete being re-signed 2 years, $2,250,000

- Evans starting on the 4th line (re-signed to an AAV of $925,000)

- Drouin being traded to Colorado vs Nikita Zadorov (subsequently signed to a 5 years, $5,000,000 AAV contract)
- Thomas Greiss being signed 2 years, $2,500,000 AAV
- Kyle Clifford being signed 2 years, $2,500,000 AAV
- Ilya Kovalchuk being signed 1 year, $3,500,000 AAV

Byron - Domi - Armia
Kovalchuk - Suzuki - Lehkonen
Clifford - Evans - Weal
Weise

Zadorov - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Price
Greiss

That's fully what I expect to see. I don't expect neither Caufield or Romanov to be able to make it to the NHL next season.

Still, knowing Bergevin, even this I think is too much to hope for. Odds are we have the EXACT same lineup, and sign Erik Gustafsson and Jimmy Howard.
Why would you resign Weise?

Loner

Dec 29, 2008
Montreal
My wish for next year

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia
Byron - Domi - Evans
Lehkonen - Weal - UFA

Chiarot - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - UFA

Price - UFA

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
My wish for next year

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia
Byron - Domi - Evans
Lehkonen - Weal - UFA

Chiarot - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - UFA

Price - UFA
Weal is not a wish he is a nightmare...he better be traded if not he better be in Laval.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
None of the rosters i saw in this thread will land us in playoffs.

The problem is the core (not talking about gm right now)
The core is bad and overrated and getting old.
I know a lot of people think the problem is the core, but I don't think that's the case. I think the problem is that some guys in the core are being asked to play a spot up the lineup because we're missing 2 top end guys. We have the cap space to add 2 top end guys, but Bergevin has been unable to do it, by draft, trade, or UFA signing. Maybe Suzuki can be a first line center as early as next year and a top-10 center by the end of the year. Then we add say a Hoffman, a Krug, and a competent backup goalie. Our power play is better, we're getting wins out of our backup, we stop blowing so many leads, and we're turning one goal losses into one goal wins.

I don't think this team needs to be blown up. The margin between one goal losses and one goal wins is thin and using available cap space wisely could make this a 105+ point team, i.e. top 5 in the league. If we had drafted a Pastrnak or signed a Panarin or Aho, we're solidly in the playoff picture. The problem is we haven't been able to do this, and there are justifiable concerns that Bergevin just can't get it done.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Whether we will be a better team or not, I have no idea, but it seems like they are going to try to make some big changes this summer.

Reactions: Garnet76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad