HF Habs: So, build next year team...

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Whether we will be a better team or not, I have no idea, but it seems like they are going to try to make some big changes this summer.
It sure looks like this summer will be an all in or all out decision time for this team. Unless we can get players like Hall and Brodin it will be time to blow this team up. I can’t see the status quo (or cosmetic changes) for the upcoming season.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
Tuna-Danault-Gally
Domi(5×5.5M)-Suzuki-Armia
Drouin-KK-Grandlund (2x5M)
Lekh-Poehling-Evans (2x1M)
Byron/Pitlick(1×1M)

Chiarot-Weber
Kuak-Weber
Mete-Juulsen (if healthy, if not Demelo, Ceci, Bogosian, Van Reimsdyk or other bottom pair right handed UFA dman)

Price-Domingue (1×0.925M)

Sign Hudon and Ouellet for AHL
and depth
Sign Romanov, Ylonen and Hillis to entry level contracts
Froese, Carr, Bennett or other AHL options

Edit : Vedjemo to start the year in AHL but first option for call up at center
Edit 2 : Forgot to mention Juulsen 1×1M, Mete 5×3M, Vedjemo 2x1M, Hudon and Ouellet 2×1M.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If you want to mix experience and fresh start....convince Jacques Martin to become a GM. And name Benoit Groulx your head coach.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
LOL at everyone "building" there next year team with Laffer in their line up.

My team:

XXX - XXX - XXX
Tatar - Suzuki - Gally
Domi - Danault - Armia
XXX - XXX - XXX

We need a real #1 trio and a steady 4th line.

XXX - Weber
Romanov - XXX
Chiarot - XXX

Price

Everyone else I couldn't give two shits for.

XXX 's need to filled out with actual talent at the position

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Hoffman is absolutely not worth it at 7m. Would be a massive mistake based on his play for the past 2-3 years. Obviously was amazing with Ottawa for the most part.

When teams don't seem to care to hold on to a relatively gifted goalscorer im always skeptical. Nothing in particular in mind but I can't help but think it certainly doesn't completely erase the hypothesis that he might be a nutcase.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I know a lot of people think the problem is the core, but I don't think that's the case. I think the problem is that some guys in the core are being asked to play a spot up the lineup because we're missing 2 top end guys. We have the cap space to add 2 top end guys, but Bergevin has been unable to do it, by draft, trade, or UFA signing. Maybe Suzuki can be a first line center as early as next year and a top-10 center by the end of the year. Then we add say a Hoffman, a Krug, and a competent backup goalie. Our power play is better, we're getting wins out of our backup, we stop blowing so many leads, and we're turning one goal losses into one goal wins.

I don't think this team needs to be blown up. The margin between one goal losses and one goal wins is thin and using available cap space wisely could make this a 105+ point team, i.e. top 5 in the league. If we had drafted a Pastrnak or signed a Panarin or Aho, we're solidly in the playoff picture. The problem is we haven't been able to do this, and there are justifiable concerns that Bergevin just can't get it done.

Which mean the problem IS the core. A core is not made of 3rd liners or bottom 3 dmen. A core is around 4 forwards, 3 dmen and a goalie. Outside of that we are talking about depth not core.

- Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, Dr. Ouin and Domi is extremely weak as a core of forwards. At least 2 maybe 3 should be considered depth instead of core. We re missing one (probably 2) core forwards.
- Weber, Petry and Chiarot is weak as a defensive core. Chiarot should be depth (4th dman at beast). We are missing one core dman.

To improve the team you must replace some of those guys by superior core players and they'll then be depth which mean the core is 100% the problem.

Reactions: Archijerej

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Anything can happen, jtun fighter
3loszn.jpg

expy

Nov 2, 2010
GM/President of hockey Ops: Someone else, not hired based off language, but competence
Coaching Staff: Same as above

On ice, keep:
Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Domi - KK- Armia
Lehkonen - Byron

Weber - Chiarot - Petry - Mete

Price

Trade everyone else for upgrades, buy/overpay for UFAs and RFAs. It's Montreal, nobody is coming to a shitty team for the same amount of money they could play for a better team with less taxes.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We need to sure up on all three fronts: goal, defence and forward.

Agreed.

I would unload Drouin.

I don't know about that. If we get a good offer, sure. But we may have to wait a bit before his value is restored. I agree one of Tatar/Domi/Drouin should be moved.

. I would unload him and get two wingers (prototypes Josh Andersons, a young Wayne Simmonds).

Not sure about Anderson specifically. His injury worries me. I agree we need two wingers, or a center and a winger if Domi's traded. Ideally a top-6 and middle-6 player, or two middle-6 at minimum.
I don't like your 4th line. We are supposed to be a team built on depth. This season revealed that we lacked in that department. We should have two forwards on each line from 2nd to 4th, who can play higher up the lineup, as well as #13 and #14 forwards better than Hudon, Barber or Peca.
So, Evans should be slotted as a #12 forward and we cannot just assume he's ready to play center. At #11 we should sing a solid bottom six C. #10 should be one of Byron/Lehkonen/new middle six guy. Weal should be an extra.

I'd leave KK and Poehling down in Laval for another year.

Agreed. We should treat anything we get from them next season as a bonus.

We need two D-men. One for each side.

Agreed.

Fleury, Brook and Juulsen need more time in the AHL and I'm not counting my chicks before they're hatched so in the scheme of things Romanov is going tentatively to Laval.

Agree on Fleury and Brook. Juulsen has to clear waivers, so if he's healthy I'd keep him on the roster and let him fight it out for a #6D spot with a new guy, who's hopefully better than Folin.

We need a partner for either Weber or Petry. In the second case Chiarot/Mete-Weber gets reduced assignments.

Agree on Romanov. We should assume he's bound for Laval. If he cracks the lineup, it means he's better than a new top-4 guy, Chiarot or Mete.

And finally we need a f*cken COMPETENT back up

Yes!

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
1. Im giving a lot of money to bringingTorrey Krug. We need this guy to play with Weber and in the first PP wave. I don’t know if Claude Julien could help because he coached him. 2. Im trying to acquire zadorov/graves. Exemple : 2 second picks for him. So. You have krug/weber. Zadorov/petry. Chiarot / fleury or mete. This is a real d core after that im trying to acquire taylor hall. If, its impossible. Mike hoffman. Our PP will be very strong in bringing krug/hoffman. And our d core is improving a lot. This is what i do if im Bergervin

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Pretty simple, this team is crap, everyone should be available for upgrades everywhere in the lineup, espacialy at the goalie position.

Most importantly, get rid of the GM and head coach, clean the f***ing house.

Reactions: LaP and angusyoung

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Lafreniere - Suzuki - Domi
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Drouin - KK - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

Romanov - Weber
Mete - Petry
Chiarot - Fleury

Price
Lindgren

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Which mean the problem IS the core. A core is not made of 3rd liners or bottom 3 dmen. A core is around 4 forwards, 3 dmen and a goalie. Outside of that we are talking about depth not core.

- Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, Dr. Ouin and Domi is extremely weak as a core of forwards. At least 2 maybe 3 should be considered depth instead of core. We re missing one (probably 2) core forwards.
- Weber, Petry and Chiarot is weak as a defensive core. Chiarot should be depth (4th dman at beast). We are missing one core dman.

To improve the team you must replace some of those guys by superior core players and they'll then be depth which mean the core is 100% the problem.

I think you can add Suzuki to the forward core, but I agree that it is weak and lacks top-end talent. Domi and Drouin have both disappointed to varying degrees and are not the kind of 200 foot players you ideally want to build around, however we need them because we are so starved for skill and offense. Danault-Tatar-Gallagher are all UFAs in a year and will either be gone or overpaid after that. Not a great situation overall, and one that will need to be managed very carefully over the next year to ensure we have the right mix in place going forward. The bright spots include Suzuki (who may actually be the young #1C we've lacked for 25 years), and some prospect depth. If we luck out and hit on Lafrenire that would be a game-changer but I won't hold my breath.

I somewhat disagree that the defense core is weak. It is aging, but there are few teams with a better top 2 than Weber/Petry and Chiarot is a solid #4. But the dropoff after that is massive. I agree that we need a better LD than Chiarot and we need a better bottom pairing. Kulak/Mete are not long-term solutions.

Reactions: LaP and Archijerej

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Pretty simple, this team is crap, everyone should be available for upgrades everywhere in the lineup, espacialy at the goalie position.

Most importantly, get rid of the GM and head coach, clean the f***ing house.

That has to be the #1 move done after the morning after our final game.
If it's not done, then it confirms even more that Molson does not give a flying f*** about this team
4 of 5 years of missing playoffs is unacceptable, even crap markets fire their staff for such results!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson(Domi)
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Poehling - Evans

Krug (FA) - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

Price

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
LOL at everyone "building" there next year team with Laffer in their line up.

My team:

XXX - XXX - XXX
Tatar - Suzuki - Gally
Domi - Danault - Armia
XXX - XXX - XXX

We need a real #1 trio and a steady 4th line.

XXX - Weber
Romanov - XXX
Chiarot - XXX

Price

Everyone else I couldn't give two shits for.

XXX 's need to filled out with actual talent at the position

I like the 2 lines, but after one season. Need Domi at C while we wait for KK.

stopgap line:
Lehkonen/ Byron - Domi - Anderson/pool party (trade)

top line for the rocket:
2020 1st (if from Europe) - KK - Caufield

perhaps, for the LD, they can circle back to Colorado. They have girard, Byram, Zadorov and graves. Someone might go to make room for Byram.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I fear that Bergevin really believes that the current lineup is enough to get into the playoffs next year if they are healthy and just a bit more luck.

I'm probably guilty of liking the individual players too much as well with a few exceptions. Meh - Cousins, Weal and many of their call ups. KK struggled mightily and was tough to watch at time. Mete regressed during the second half. Domi was awful for a dozen games. Drouin has been awful since "healthy".

The positive side of me tells me they are not that far away but they need a few Suzuki type surprises and a couple of big moves by Bergevin. It would be great if KK, Poehling and Romanov have good years.

One of the puzzles is how to fit Domi, Drouin, Suzuki and KK together. Domi doesn't want to play wing. Suzuki as number 1 already? Drouin with KK? Domi with KK? Suzuki with KK? They just don't seem to jive that well together.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Domi and Drouin have both disappointed to varying degrees and are not the kind of 200 foot players you ideally want to build around

I think having them both is redundant. If possible, I'd prefer to use one of them to strengthen the blueline. I agree that Weber, Petry and Chiarot is not the worst top 3, but acquiring a guy like Brodin would round up the top 4 nicely, push Chiarot down the depth chart, prolong the effectiveness of this d-core and allow part of it to overlap with the rise of Romanov and whoever else comes out of our prospect pool.

The bright spots include Suzuki (who may actually be the young #1C we've lacked for 25 years), and some prospect depth. If we luck out and hit on Lafrenire that would be a game-changer but I won't hold my breath.

I think our biggest concern in the future is the lack of a projectable #1D or even a #2D. That's part of the reason I'd like us to trade for Brodin and concentrate on drafting or trading for a future #1D.

A first line winger would be the last of my worries when planning for a future core.

I agree that we need a better LD than Chiarot and we need a better bottom pairing. Kulak/Mete are not long-term solutions.

Not a fan of Mete, eh? I think he can be a decent #4/5, either as a complimentary player on the 2nd pairing, or a leading one on the 3rd. But he's probably bound to be lost in the expansion draft.

Reactions: lamp9post

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
My team:

President: Serge Savard(?)
GM: Marc Bergevin
Coach: Gerrard Gallant

Signings:
Romanov $925k x 3
Caufield (Spring 2020) $925k x 3
Domi $5.8M x 5
Mete $1.5M x 3
Evans $1M x 2
Folin $900k x 1
Mike Smith $2.5M x 1

Trades:
2 x 2nds for Ryan Murray
Jordan Weal (50% retained), 4th for Cederic Pacquette

Lineup:
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Suzuki - Lehkonen
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Pacquette - Evans

Chiarot - Weber
Murray - Petry
Mete - Romanov
Kulak

Price
Smith

Callups:
Poeling, Caufield, Fleury

Let Poeling and Caufield play together and graduate into full time roles in 2021-22 to replace Tatar, Lehkonen (who would be retained but moved down the lineup). Pacquette would be a great 4C and allow guys like Poeling and Evans time to earn their roles. Even though he only makes $1.65M TB will be very tight to the cap so they may look to move him. He only has a year left and could be re-signed at a cheap cost or allowed to walk and replaced internally by someone like Evans or Poeling.

Murray I think could be had and is a nice top 4 LHD they could acquire without much cost. Can't sign all these picks anyway. Allows them to immediately improve the D while allowing Romanov the chance to ease into the NA game. Romanov could even go to Laval, with 6 proven NHL D men on the roster besides him.

Mike Smith I think would be a nice fit because he's a very capable goaltender that plays the puck just as well as Price. This allows the team to play the same way in front of him. I think it's the right kind of guy to succeed in that spot playing 20-30 games. Again, this allows Cayden Primeau to play as a starter and possibly graduate to full time backup in 2021-22.

I think this is a nice mix of icing a much more competitive team while looking towards the future. There's still going to be opportunities for young guys to step up into a role when injuries happen, without counting on the young guys to be an important part of the team. I like the depth at every position on this roster. If a centre goes down you have Domi, Evans, Poeling who can all play. D has better depth.

I think this team could not only make the playoffs but be good enough to be a legit contender as soon as next year. And their potential only goes up from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad