HF Habs: So, build next year team...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
As title says, build your team for next year. No trades, but sign any UFA/prospect you want. Assume we won't draft a NHL ready talent this year.

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Domi - Danault - Hoffman
Drouin - KK- Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Weal

Brodie - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak , Juulsen

Price
Greiss/Talbot/Halak/Khudobin

It works if Hoffman/Brodie/Khudobin signs for a combined 11.35 millions+whatever the cap increase is.

I had it at Hoffman 7m, Brodie 5m, Khudobin 2m. Domi 4m, Juulsen 1m, Mete 2m and Evans 0.9

Ideally, Byron is traded so we have more money for UFA and we sign some 4th liner for around 1m.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Suzuki - Drouin
Lekhonen - KK - Armia
Weal - Evans - Byron
Hudon, Vejdemo

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Juulsen

Price
Talbot

Add the inevitable 1-3 depth players who are brought in to play ahead of KK, Fleury, Evans...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As title says, build your team for next year. No trades, but sign any UFA/prospect you want. Assume we won't draft a NHL ready talent this year.

Domi - Danault - Hoffman
Drouin - KK- Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Weal

Brodie - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak , Juulsen

Price

It works if Hoffman/Brodie/Khudobin signs for a combined 11.35 millions+whatever the cap increase is.

I had it at Hoffman 7m, Brodie 5m, Khudobin 2m. Domi 4m, Juulsen 1m, Mete 2m and Evans 0.9

Ideally, Byron is traded so we have more money for UFA and we sign some 4th liner for around 1m.

I like your lineup. Would love Hoffman if he's deemed ok for the room. I'd also like Kovi back. Kovi and Hoffman would be as good as it gets with this lineup. Let KK, Poehling, and maybe even Evans be injury replacement depth and over-develop in Laval. Try to bring Thompson back too.

Also, I think Romanov is in the top 6, and Fleury's in Laval getting further development.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I like your lineup. Would love Hoffman if he's deemed ok for the room. I'd also like Kovi back. Kovi and Hoffman would be as good as it gets with this lineup. Let KK, Poehling, and maybe even Evans be injury replacement depth and over-develop in Laval. Try to bring Thompson back too.

Also, I think Romanov is in the top 6, and Fleury's in Laval getting further development.

Evans will be 24 next year. It's time for him to sink or swim.
I think KK will be ready for 3C duties, but if not, run:
Drouin -Domi - Hoffman
Kovalchuk - Danault - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Weal

I think Romanov can benefit from Bouchard's teachings for a year and Fleury can be the 6th D. Depending on Juulsen health, you could have Juulsen as 6th D and both Fleury/Romanov in AHL.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Hoffman is absolutely not worth it at 7m. Would be a massive mistake based on his play for the past 2-3 years. Obviously was amazing with Ottawa for the most part.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Domi - Danault - Hoffman
Drouin - KK- Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Weal

Brodie - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak , Juulsen

Price

I'm just curious as to why you're choosing such average free agents if you could pick anybody.

Gimme Krug, Dadonov, Pietro, Greene, Hall. Don't care how much this sets us over the cap, I move whoever I have to. Move Drouin, move Domi, move Petry.

That is...if I have to sign free agents, because deep down I don't want to sign any free agents, I want us to sell and rebuild. Krug is the only one I'd truly be interested in bringing in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans will be 24 next year. It's time for him to sink or swim.
I think KK will be ready for 3C duties, but if not, run:
Drouin -Domi - Hoffman
Kovalchuk - Danault - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
Weal

I think Romanov can benefit from Bouchard's teachings for a year and Fleury can be the 6th D. Depending on Juulsen health, you could have Juulsen as 6th D and both Fleury/Romanov in AHL.

I'm not sure Evans is ready to play C. But I definitely think he's ready for wing.

Anyways can't have too much time in the A. And, as we saw this year, can't have too much depth in case of injuries. Might as well take advantage of his waiver elibigle status.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hoffman is absolutely not worth it at 7m. Would be a massive mistake based on his play for the past 2-3 years. Obviously was amazing with Ottawa for the most part.

36 goals, 70 points last year. On pace for 32 goals 65 points this year. I would say 6-7m is market value.

I'm just curious as to why you're choosing such average free agents if you could pick anybody.

Gimme Krug, Dadonov, Pietro, Greene, Hall. Don't care how much this sets us over the cap, I move whoever I have to. Move Drouin, move Domi, move Petry.

That is...if I have to sign free agents, because deep down I don't want to sign any free agents, I want us to sell and rebuild. Krug is the only one I'd truly be interested in bringing in.

I'd sign whoever of Hoffman/Dadonov sign for cheaper.

I would love Krug, but I would be utterly surprised if he went UFA. Same with Pietrangelo.

I think Hall will sign way above his pay grade. Under 9m I would try to sign him.

Andy Greene is done. I don't see how he could help us unless he signs for 6-7 D money.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd sign whoever of Hoffman/Dadonov sign for cheaper.

I would love Krug, but I would be utterly surprised if he went UFA. Same with Pietrangelo.

I think Hall will sign way above his pay grade. Under 9m I would try to sign him.

Andy Greene is done. I don't see how he could help us unless he signs for 6-7 D money.

If that's the case then I do what I think we should be doing anyways, I focus on the rebuild. I bring in bottom 6 guys who are big and aggressive. If we're going to suck, so be it, but I want the opponents to be unhappy when they face us. Nobody is scared of playing Mtl right now and that's embarrassing. Clearly we aren't gonna get there via skill so might as well bring in depth guys who can make the opponents leave with some bruises.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
36 goals, 70 points last year. On pace for 32 goals 65 points this year. I would say 6-7m is market value.
Hoffman has been the kind of guy to get tons of points with Florida, yet somehow end up having a negative relative-to-teammate goal differential rate. Like golden boy Drouin, basically. An absolute attrocity at ES but good on the PP thanks to his elite shot.

You're right 6-7M (maybe even more) is market value, since there's a very strong correlation with how much a player gets in FA and their point production (because even GMs think it's all that matters I guess). Doesn't mean it's worth it. He's just not a player I'd be comfortable signing long term at such an amount. Maybe if it was 2-3 years I'd be fine with it.

But if Bergy did sign him to a long term 7m contract, he would get backlashed like crazy in 3-4 seasons unless he somehow went back to his Ottawa form. Which could be a possibility, who knows, but I wouldn't put this as a "likely" possibility.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Domi - Suzuki - Drouin
Lekhonen - KK - Armia
Lafreniere - Evans - Byron

Romanov - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak

Price
Kinkaid

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Domi - Suzuki - Drouin
Lekhonen - KK - Armia
Lafreniere - Evans - Byron

Romanov - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Mete - Fleury
Kulak

Price
Kinkaid

1. We most likely won't have Lafrenière.
2. Why would you play him on the 4th line?

Sounds like you drank a little bit too much of the Bergevin Kool-Aid.

Reactions: Habs178 and vokiel

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Armia - Suzuki - Drouin
Byron - Domi - Lehkonen
Plug #1 - Evans - plug #2

Kotkaniemi will get a chance for sure. I prefer to plan without and be pleasantly surprised if he is ready to take a step up.

Chiarot - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Kulak - Mete

Fleury will get games. Hopefully Juulsen can be healthy and effective enough, but can't bet on this. Let the others marinate and grow in the AHL.

Price
UFA backup

If the backup fails, I think we will see Primeau up in the big club next year. Otherwise, a more stable year in the AHL could be good for all prospects.

A UFA forward and LD would be good for insurance if some kid isnt quite ready to the workload (Romanov, Evans). It would be nice if that player was more than a filler. Pushing Kulak out of the regular lineup would be nice.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Ideally.. to be a contender (lol)

? - ? - ?
Domi - Suzuki - ?
Lehkonen - ? - Armia

? - Weber
? - Petry
Chiarot - ?

Price
?

In sum we miss:
- A legit top line (LW, C , RW) we have none of that
- A better 2nd line winger than Drouin
- A legit 4th line center
- A legit left side top defenseman
- A legit 2nd pair left defenseman
- A better bottom pair right defenseman
- A better backup

As you can see... not possible...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If we intend to keep Tatar, I'd do the following:

- trade Domi for Brodin
- sign an UFA center who can insulate Kotkaniemi or Evans in case they're not ready (D. Grant?)
- sign a middle-6 winger (Toffoli?)
- sign a good backup
- sign the usual depth guys

The roster would look something like this:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-UFA
Lehkonen-UFA #3C/Kotkaniemi(if ready)-Armia
Byron-Evans/UFA #3C (if Kotkaniemi's ready. Evans moves to wing then) - UFA
Extra: Weal

Brodin-Petry
Mete/Chiarot-Weber
Chiarot/Mete - UFA/Juulsen/Fleury
Extras: Kulak, UFA

Price
UFA

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Fire Julien and let the kids play big minutes and don’t care about the scoreboard and don’t waste anymore slots on guys we are flipping for mid-rounders taking up icetime

Domi KK Gally
Tatar Suzuki Armia
Drouin Danault Lehkonen
Byron Poehling Evans

Romanov Weber
Chiarot Petry
Mete Juulsen
Kulak Fleury

Price
Primeau

Never happen though

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
October is a LONG time away guys....................................MB better not still be here at that point!! FFS

He thinks adding Romanov makes us a playoff team??
All you need to know about this clown, is, the same old same old....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad