So...are the Leafs actually good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stish

I stopped reading at:

Literally if I see one more article on tsn or sportsnet about some obscure TML prospect while ignoring every other Canadian team I'm going to flip my ****.

I stopped reading at "I stopped reading at:"

bobbyt911

Most of us are cautiously optimistic, the parade planners are few and far between on here. Once bitten twice shy kind of thing.

exactly and I am definitely basking in the success while its here cuz in the NHL things can go sideways in an instant for every team

ya know how sweet would it be the have the Leafs, Isles, Lightning and Panthers in the Semi's same thing in the West with St.Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary and Nashville.
Have none of the old guard make it past the 1st round

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
They have talent and they have good goaltending, that can give you a playoff spot in a 48 game season and it can give you a good position in the standings for parts of an 82 game season. But in the end it catches up to you if you're not playing solid fundamentals, if you're not playing winning hockey. I think the Leafs are one of those teams that fold when the going gets tough. No enough leadership, or maybe it's something else, but I'll be shocked and amazed if the wheels don't fall off HARD as soon as they hit some adversity.

What kind of adversity? You could argue they faced adversity when they lost 6-2 to Buffalo, then 9-2 to Nashville. Especially with the whole fan salute thing that got blown out of proportion by the media.

They've been 9-1-1 since then, which to me isn't characteristic of a team that folds when things get tough.

At the same time, I'm not denying the possibility of a collapse. I'm just saying that the Leafs have been showing signs that they may not be as mentally weak anymore.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I stopped reading at:

Literally if I see one more article on tsn or sportsnet about some obscure TML prospect while ignoring every other Canadian team I'm going to flip my ****.

Why are you reading Toronto media for news about non-Toronto NHL teams? Obviously they're gonna talk about the home town team.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I watch the Leafs and have friends who are Leafs fans who wanted to fire the coach, blow it up and tank for Mcdavid just a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know what's up with the Leafs. 1 little stretch of wins and they're the best team in the East, and then they'll lose a bunch and become the worst team.
That's oddly accurate.

I want to believe but I'll reserve my judgement until game 82.
Thanks Kreskin.

What I can say is that the Leafs have much better depth than last year.
True ! Shanahan must have helped Nonis.

As long as all four lines keep on contributing and Bernier can stay healthy, I think we have a chance of getting a wild card spot or better. But who knows?
I'd say that would guarantee playoffs.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
What kind of adversity? You could argue they faced adversity when they lost 6-2 to Buffalo, then 9-2 to Nashville. Especially with the whole fan salute thing that got blown out of proportion by the media.

They've been 9-1-1 since then, which to me isn't characteristic of a team that folds when things get tough.

At the same time, I'm not denying the possibility of a collapse. I'm just saying that the Leafs have been showing signs that they may not be as mentally weak anymore.

9-1-1 is ominous

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I watch the Leafs and have friends who are Leafs fans who wanted to fire the coach, blow it up and tank for Mcdavid just a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know what's up with the Leafs. 1 little stretch of wins and they're the best team in the East, and then they'll lose a bunch and become the worst team.

for the record, some of us still want the coach fired, even though we like the roster.

Apr 6, 2011
"Putting it together" means winning the cup in some cases and just making the playoffs for others. Eventually this Leafs "core" will probably put it together.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I'm talking about when they get a few injuries and they lose a couple of games in a row and teams are starting to catch up to them and all the reporters are asking if they're about to collapse again. That's when we'll see if they're actually a different team this year.

All teams can get a nice 10-game record. Even the Sabres. It isn't enough to change my opinion on a team fundamentally. If anything, it just reinforces my view of the Leafs as being a team of high highs and very, very low lows.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I like the Leafs but the fans think their team is different from last year because they added a few 4th liners? Really ? They can make the playoffs as a wildcard because of Bernier but they'll be out in the first round.

Last year the Bottom 6 scored an NHL low (yes lower than Buffalo, lower than Edmonton) 39 goals.

This year, we haven't had to rely on the 1st line at all.

I thin we can battle any team not named Pittsburgh in the playoffs. IF we get there.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Nice article timing for clicks. Leafs are better than last year though. Too bad Kaptain Komarov is out still.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
I'm talking about when they get a few injuries and they lose a couple of games in a row and teams are starting to catch up to them and all the reporters are asking if they're about to collapse again. That's when we'll see if they're actually a different team this year.

All teams can get a nice 10-game record. Even the Sabres. It isn't enough to change my opinion on a team fundamentally. If anything, it just reinforces my view of the Leafs as being a team of high highs and very, very low lows.

That's a fair point. They have had a few injuries throughout the year, though. Lupul missed a few games, Komarov and Polak are still injured. While not key players (outside of Lupul, arguably), they are definitely useful to the team.

Over the last few seasons, Toronto has been a team with high highs and low lows. I think with the added depth and a core that (hopefully) is maturing, they'll reduce some of the lows. This next stretch of road games will be a big test for them. If they can get through it playing at or above .500, I'll be a lot more confident in this team.

Last edited:

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Sabres vs Leafs Eastern Conference Final.

Sabres fans who have been taking a hit on their season tickets all year, would instantly turn a profit.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
the team last yr had the talent but did not have the right mindset. This yr they have the roster and look to have the right mindset.
I still say that the Leafs at the top of their game is better than the Habs at the top of theirs

Oh the guy who would take Nylander over Eichel? Tell us more about what you think.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Ducks will be a good test of that.

I don't know about that, they have already beaten a bunch of good teams, it's not like they need to beat the best team to prove themselves, I mean the Ducks have lost to Arizona and Florida, does that make them not a top team, I think not.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
No, they're not. Getting better, but still not good. Just riding a wave of high shooting and good goaltending right now. Just like Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad