So...are the Leafs actually good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They're a bubble team on a hot streak.

You could say every team is a bubble team. People forget the leafs finished 5th two years ago, were in 3rd for most of the year last year, and again are in 6th with 2 games in hand on a lot of those teams.

You can call it a hot streak, but it's funny how that works.

The leafs are winning, but their stats are terrible "they will collapse". Now they are winning with their best goal differential in 50+ years, people still say it.

Last year we won games thanks to Kessel and Bernier.

This year all 4 lines are scoring, and both goalies are playing well.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
need to wait for their home/road games to even out to get a better gauge on them IMO.

This. So far we have had an easy schedule with the majority of games on home ice. Let's wait until we go on some of the upcoming road trips due to the world juniors to see where we're at. By the end of them we could cement ourselves as a playoff team, or once again be on the outside looking in.

Oh and let's not forget about the collapse that may or may not happen

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I like the Leafs but the fans think their team is different from last year because they added a few 4th liners? Really ? They can make the playoffs as a wildcard because of Bernier but they'll be out in the first round.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
I like the Leafs but the fans think their team is different from last year because they added a few 4th liners? Really ? They can make the playoffs as a wildcard because of Bernier but they'll be out in the first round.

Being able to roll 4 lines with confidence is a pretty big difference from the past "truculent" years.
So,yes,really.

bobbyt911

They need a first line centre.

the team last yr had the talent but did not have the right mindset. This yr they have the roster and look to have the right mindset.
I still say that the Leafs at the top of their game is better than the Habs at the top of theirs

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
the team last yr had the talent but did not have the right mindset. This yr they have the roster and look to have the right mindset.
I still say that the Leafs at the top of their game is better than the Habs at the top of theirs

They sure had the right mind set when they were terrible for the first 20 games.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
only to collapse in the end. where they stand in april is all that matters.
Bernier was injured. Reimer didnt play well.

Also every pick they've ever made is a bust, and if they ever make it to the NHL, they are a 3rd/4th lines or bottom pairing D on every other team.
Why cant the Leafs draft good players ? They probably spend the most on scouting.

They're a bubble team on a hot streak.
Probably true !

Yeah the talent is there and Bernier hitting his stride.
YEAH !

As people have said, our best line last year (first line) is the worst line this year.
It seems like the Leafs actually have 3-4 lines this year vs. last year they had 1.5 lines.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Planning the parade eh boys.

Honestly, the Leafs parade cannot be planned.

When the Leafs win the Cup, there will be parades all over Canada.

First in Toronto, then in Ottawa, then in Quebec City, Montreal, then go to PEI, then NB, then go to the West and then some cities in the States too.

Leafs winning the Cup would be tough on the players...there would just be too many parades they have to be at.

bobbyt911

Honestly, the Leafs parade cannot be planned.

When the Leafs win the Cup, there will be parades all over Canada.

First in Toronto, then in Ottawa, then in Quebec City, Montreal, then go to PEI, then NB, then go to the West and then some cities in the States too.

Leafs winning the Cup would be tough on the players...there would just be too many parades they have to be at.

Leafs winning cup>>Habs winning cup

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I watch the Leafs and have friends who are Leafs fans who wanted to fire the coach, blow it up and tank for Mcdavid just a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know what's up with the Leafs. 1 little stretch of wins and they're the best team in the East, and then they'll lose a bunch and become the worst team.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I watch the Leafs and have friends who are Leafs fans who wanted to fire the coach, blow it up and tank for Mcdavid just a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know what's up with the Leafs. 1 little stretch of wins and they're the best team in the East, and then they'll lose a bunch and become the worst team.

You described every Canadian fan base. Don't be ignorant.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River

Yep because every other teams fans don't overreact at all...just Leaf fans.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I want to believe but I'll reserve my judgement until game 82.

What I can say is that the Leafs have much better depth than last year. As long as all four lines keep on contributing and Bernier can stay healthy, I think we have a chance of getting a wild card spot or better. But who knows?

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
You described every Canadian fan base. Don't be ignorant.

Not really. Time a time again this Leafs "core" has shown they can't get the job done. Some fans have had enough. It wasn't some simple overreaction because of 1 losing streak. Now after a few wins you guys think this team is any different ?

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Not really. Time a time again this Leafs "core" has shown they can't get the job done. Some fans have had enough. Now after a few wins you guys think this team is any different ?

This strikes me as ignorant. Their "core" has been young, changing, and made the playoffs just two seasons ago. They added depth and have great goaltending and I think the Toronto fans have a right to be proud of their team.

Doesn't make us look good to go around bashing a team that is one point back of us with a game in hand.

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
This strikes me as ignorant. Their "core" has been young, changing, and made the playoffs just two seasons ago. They added depth and have great goaltending and I think the Toronto fans have a right to be proud of their team.

Doesn't make us look good to go around bashing a team that is one point back of us with a game in hand.

I'm not bashing the Leafs. Just stating what happened. Like I said I like the Leafs and will cheer for them in the playoffs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You could say every team is a bubble team. People forget the leafs finished 5th two years ago, were in 3rd for most of the year last year, and again are in 6th with 2 games in hand on a lot of those teams.

You can call it a hot streak, but it's funny how that works.

The leafs are winning, but their stats are terrible "they will collapse". Now they are winning with their best goal differential in 50+ years, people still say it.

Last year we won games thanks to Kessel and Bernier.

This year all 4 lines are scoring, and both goalies are playing well.
They have talent and they have good goaltending, that can give you a playoff spot in a 48 game season and it can give you a good position in the standings for parts of an 82 game season. But in the end it catches up to you if you're not playing solid fundamentals, if you're not playing winning hockey. I think the Leafs are one of those teams that fold when the going gets tough. No enough leadership, or maybe it's something else, but I'll be shocked and amazed if the wheels don't fall off HARD as soon as they hit some adversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad