Not open for further replies.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
With Bernier we're in whatever tier Montreal and Detroit are in imo

Last year TO was poised to make it, and then Bernier got hurt

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Maybe to people not actually WATCHING the games.
But you know, enjoy looking at the box score and assuming things.

Watched the game, the eye-test was ugly too.

They really know how to capitalize on chances though.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The box score AND the eyeball test both show that the Leafs were outplayed thoroughly but were shooting on a swiss cheese goaltender.

Actually they weren't, they had more hits and faceoff wins, they gave the puck away more, but also had more takeaways, Ducks had more PIM's, Leafs did better on the PP.

Ralphy*

Watched the game, the eye-test was ugly too.

They really know how to capitalize on chances though.

Maybe if the eye test involves staring at the shout counter all game.

The game should have been closer than it was going into the third, but the Leafs absolutely dominated the 3rd.

Ducks aren't going to score on a good goalie like Bernier with garbage shots all game.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Is it April yet? It isn't, oh ok. Call me then. They still have a brutal road schedule coming up. They have played 21 of their 31 games at home so far.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Good goaltending will win games.
Toronto got out of the first thanks to goalie and
good job capitalizing on opportunities.

Ducks lost their cool.

Linesmen were horrifying late, but make no mistake, this
game was won by the goalie in the first.
Toronto looked pretty good TBH

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
This is what having one of the best Goaltenders in the league will do to you, you win games while getting outshot like crazy.
I standby that the main reason why we had that massive collapse last season was because Bernier was injured and we couldn't get the elite level goaltending we needed.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
We usually get up by a goal or two early, than the opposing team ramps up the pressure resulting in many shots from bad angles as they get more and more desperate.
If they actually get a good chance, Bernier/Reimer turn it away, then we go back down the ice and score many more goals on many less shots.
What's so hard to understand?
This.

Randy likes to sit back when we get up early. And if you look up our record when scoring first or up after two periods, it appears to work.

Wings, kings, nucks, ducks, hawks, flames... Any other teams for them to take out?

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Our SA/G is 33. Obviously not good, but let's not pretend like this is the norm because it's happened a few times recently.

Honestly, most of the Ducks shots were so bad. If you guys dominated so hard, how come the only two goals were off the rush? Lol.

It, it is the norm. Its been happening non stop since Carlyle took over. This is yet another string of Leaf victories where they ride incredible goaltending and a scorching offence. The only reason its lasted a bit longer than most previous stretches is because the Leafs have a lot more scoring depth. Its no longer riding the Kessel line for offence. You simply cannot win especially later in the year (where the Leafs have collapsed before a few years running now) being out shot the way they are. Be happy they're winning now, I know I am. But this won't last. Not without a systems change. Ease off on the koolaid for a bit. This team is incredibly flawed.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
As a leaf fan, I will admit that Leafs are an average-above average team on a hot streak. We would need more skill to solidify ourselves as a good team, or even a contender later down the road. But while also on the topic, the east is fairy weak too with only maybe 2 or 3 good teams (Pitts, TB, Boston/Detroit). The rest are average-above average and the few at the bottom suck. This is why its possible for a team like the Leafs to go up and down in the standings with ease.

Ralphy*

It, it is the norm. Its been happening non stop since Carlyle took over. This is yet another string of Leaf victories where they ride incredible goaltending and a scorching offence. The only reason its lasted a bit longer than most previous stretches is because the Leafs have a lot more scoring depth. Its no longer riding the Kessel line for offence. You simply cannot win especially later in the year (where the Leafs have collapsed before a few years running now) being out shot the way they are. Be happy they're winning now, I know I am. But this won't last. Not without a systems change. Ease off on the koolaid for a bit. This team is incredibly flawed.

You managed to spout a few of the misconceptions about the Leafs all in one post, good job!

Bernier and Reimer stole 2 and 1 game each respectively, the other 3 we did did not even remotely need elite goaltending to win.

Please, do tell me about our collapse two years ago when we made it into the playoffs! 10 minutes at the end of game 7 does not constitute us collapsing later in the year. Get a grip.

I agree it's flawed. I never said it wasn't. They're playing great this year though. Try some optimism.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs play another terrible game and all their fans brag, it's like they all have short term memory loss...

The Leafs win all their home games: They have a road trip coming up, they're only winning because they're at home.

The leafs lose their home games: The Leafs suck.

The Leafs win all their road games: They're only winning because they got good goaltending.

Ralphy*

Leafs play another terrible game and all their fans brag, it's like they all have short term memory loss...

Fans of other teams look to the shot counter to determine the quality of a game, it's like they all have nothing better to do...

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
Fans of other teams look to the shot counter to determine the quality of a game, it's like they all have nothing better to do...

I watched the entire game and aside from goaltending, the Ducks were the better team. There is 0 doubt in my mind about this.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

Tip your fedora to "analytics" which fails to differentiate between a breakaway and shot from the red line.

Leafs win 6-2. 10 of their last 11. Maybe just maybe the highest scoring team in the NHL knows how to score goals.

Ralphy*

And you point to intangible things and "hope" instead of hard facts.

Interesting use of the quotation marks, but I'm not sure who you're quoting!

The hard facts:
- The leafs had solid goaltending keeping them in the game in the first
- The leafs capitalized on their chances
- The ducks took a bunch of terrible shots, scored on the rush when they actually took some nice shots
- The leafs dominated the third
- The leafs are 10-1-1
- The hfboard user base is MAD

Oct 18, 2011
Our SA/G is 33. Obviously not good, but let's not pretend like this is the norm because it's happened a few times recently.

Honestly, most of the Ducks shots were so bad. If you guys dominated so hard, how come the only two goals were off the rush? Lol.
they've given up 40+ shots 7 times
they've been outshot 22 times, while playing the vast majority of their games at home, being able to get the matchups they want.

i imagine their shot differentials will get worse now that they will spend alot of time on the road

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
7 out of 31 games is frequently to you? Math isn't your best subject is it? :laugh:

That's more frequently than almost anyone else in the NHL. The leafs gave up the most shots last year by a convincing amount so I don't know why you haven't figured out that they're a bad team yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad