Snow/Wang Must Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryChristine*

Listen dude, this is a rebuild.

Did you expect Snow to trade for a goalie who would take up a spot of one of the younger guys?

Garth is going to play the kids and see what they got, and i personally agree with that mindset.

Just like i don't want Snow signing any D-men. There are too many who deserve a chance to play.

I don't think the Nino trade is a huge mistake because i don't believe Nino was going to be a top 3 forward on the Isles.
And i don't believe Cal is going to hurt this team in anyway.

That's my opinion, time will tell.

Oh Great... Take up the spot of one of the younger guys?!?! When did Nabby become young? We should have dropped Nabby and got Schneider.. there are no excuses for this.
Nino looks better than any one on our 2nd line besides neilsen, but you['re fine with clutterbuck because he doesn't hurt the team? How does he not hurt the team, every time he shoots, he misses the net by a mile and doesn't even hit that hard. We already have Martin for that role.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
To extend the metaphor, I *would* blame him for escalating Vietnam

;)

Look, I definitely don't mean to insult your intelligence. You can string 10 sentences into a paragraph. You construct arguments. That counts for quite a lot around here. Still, I don't think your explanation of this particular turn of events is all that satisfying.

No worries, as I said before, it's all up for debate - I just like to keep it civil. Perhaps I was just typing a mile a minute when I made the political connection; it could have been better worded.

As an aside, I hope I don't come off like too much of a tight-arse; I sort of default to the deep vocabulary as a response to how much my posts would contain "****" otherwise. Since I can't use profanity constructively for emphasis, I gotta go the other way. :laugh:

MaryChristine*

Listen dude, this is a rebuild.

Did you expect Snow to trade for a goalie who would take up a spot of one of the younger guys?

Garth is going to play the kids and see what they got, and i personally agree with that mindset.

Just like i don't want Snow signing any D-men. There are too many who deserve a chance to play.

I don't think the Nino trade is a huge mistake because i don't believe Nino was going to be a top 3 forward on the Isles.
And i don't believe Cal is going to hurt this team in anyway.

That's my opinion, time will tell.

The rebuild is over DUDE... Hate to break it to you but we only have 4 years till JT is UFA. Garth snow obviously thought the rebuild was over and we were headed to the playoffs with this whole vanek thing.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Oh Great... Take up the spot of one of the younger guys?!?! When did Nabby become young? We should have dropped Nabby and got Schneider.. there are no excuses for this.
Nino looks better than any one on our 2nd line besides neilsen, but you['re fine with clutterbuck because he doesn't hurt the team? How does he not hurt the team, every time he shoots, he misses the net by a mile and doesn't even hit that hard. We already have Martin for that role.

The rebuild is over DUDE... Hate to break it to you but we only have 4 years till JT is UFA. Garth snow obviously thought the rebuild was over and we were headed to the playoffs with this whole vanek thing.

We're starting to go in circles;

He tried to get Schneider - that had already been leaked.

Additionally, the team was a .500 team the day of the Vanek trade. The injuries pooched the series of events afterwards.

MaryChristine*

We're starting to go in circles;

He tried to get Schneider - that had already been leaked.

Additionally, the team was a .500 team the day of the Vanek trade. The injuries pooched the series of events afterwards.

Schneider went for a 9th pick. Visnovsky was already injured before the Vanek trade.
We're done here.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Did anyone actually look at the grand total of salaries we added in the offseason? The biggest additions of ours have always been in retaining our own.

We didn't even add salary to this team when we took on Vanek. Edit - See below.

You could **** on Snow for not trading for Bernier or Schneider. It was a mistake not to do so as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, he's done a relatively good job at retaining our own players. He's done a relatively good job at drafting. He's done a relatively good job at building a team with a bargain payroll.

At the end of the day, this team is in a good position the second we're willing to spend to fill a couple holes in the lineup. Even if we only ever retain our own, we'll still be a good team when certain kids make it to this level. Good, not great like we should be for all of the losses we've had to endure. I can't stress that enough.

Our prospect pool is almost too good to fail on defense (and that's where we need the most help.) We have a handful of sizable forwards and a couple that can potentially produce. It should be just enough. We'll be a good team; we've lost enough to earn that much. Without adding salary at any point though, we'll never be great.

When Wang lets Snow get an average payroll, then I'll judge Snow more harshly. That bolded part above should pretty much tell you what he's dealing with though.

Edit - Thought it was originally $2.5 million retained, but it was less. So we did add some, but after we trade him - well, you know the deal.

:),
Mitch

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Schneider went for a 9th pick. Visnovsky was already injured before the Vanek trade.
We're done here.

Exactly; check the previous threads. Nino was offered for Schneider, and Vancouver turned it down. The Vanek deal was in motion well before Visnovsky got injured.

Vanek trade: 10.27.13.
Nabokov injury: 11.16.13.

Since defensemen are at premium and you may not want to bring Strome up that soon, if you have a deal in the works to make an improvement, do you shrink, or do you pull the trigger?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Did anyone actually look at the grand total of salaries we added in the offseason? The biggest additions of ours have always been in retaining our own.

We didn't even add salary to this team when we took on Vanek.

You could **** on Snow for not trading for Bernier or Schneider. It was a mistake not to do so as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, he's done a relatively good job at retaining our own players. He's done a relatively good job at drafting. He's done a relatively good job at building a team with a bargain payroll.

At the end of the day, this team is in a good position the second we're willing to spend to fill a couple holes in the lineup. Even if we only ever retain our own, we'll still be a good team when certain kids make it to this level. Good, not great like we should be for all of the losses we've had to endure. I can't stress that enough.

Our prospect pool is almost too good to fail on defense (and that's where we need the most help.) We have a handful of sizable forward and a couple that can potentially produce. It should be just enough. We'll be a good team; we've lost enough to earn that much. Without adding salary at any point though, we'll never be great.

When Wang lets Snow get an average payroll, then I'll judge Snow more harshly. That bolded part above should pretty much tell you what he's dealing with though.

Mitch

Succinct, logical, and sane. Fully agreed, and 'good on ya.' :handclap:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Exactly; check the previous threads. Nino was offered for Schneider, and Vancouver turned it down. The Vanek deal was in motion well before Visnovsky got injured.

Vanek trade: 10.27.13.
Nabokov injury: 11.16.13.

Since defensemen are at premium and you may not want to bring Strome up that soon, if you have a deal in the works to make an improvement, do you shrink, or do you pull the trigger?

To add on, the Islanders even offered up Pick #15 in the draft (Devils owning the #9). The Canucks wanted Bo Horvat. They did not want Nino from rumors and did not think Horvat would last to the 15th pick.

So they took the Devils better pick. Even if they got Nino and the 15th, which some had said may have been offered, they wanted Horvat badly.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Succinct, logical, and sane. Fully agreed, and 'good on ya.' :handclap:

Thanks, being succinct isn't usually my strong point. ;)

I was slightly off on the portion of Vanek's retained salary. (It'll probably even out after he's traded though. I threw that correction in there. I had thought it was $2.5 million retained for some reason. It's closer to $1.4 million. After Vanek is traded, the difference between his prorated $5 million and let's say a full year of Matt Moulson instead will be negligible.)

We're still second to last in payroll in the league. We've been dead last or second to last for how many years now?

Mitch

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
To add on, the Islanders even offered up Pick #15 in the draft (Devils owning the #9). The Canucks wanted Bo Horvat. They did not want Nino from rumors and did not think Horvat would last to the 15th pick.

So they took the Devils better pick. Even if they got Nino and the 15th, which some had said may have been offered, they wanted Horvat badly.

Snow tried.. Snow hoped.. Vancouver wanted..

So Snow didn't ACHIEVE? Oh ok.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What? Talk about jumping to conclusions. :laugh:

I hear ya, and I speculate on things regularly, but when the pudding full of proof is guaranteed to be shortly excreted I don't understand the rush to assume the worst. By Friday, we will know the truth. I am surprised no one is focusing on Vanek's "I am breaking up with you, it's me not you" line though. That would seem to clear some of the fog in this. He 100% wants free agency no matter what is offered, like some of us *cough* said he would because I think with my wallet as well.

btw - Sorry for the typos. I have a tablet that is buggy and yes it annoys the hell out of me.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Once we move to BK, hopefully Wang sells. Then if Garth doesn't have his hands tied with a small budget, I think the moves he will make will be able to help us become a respected organization again. Garth brings in better players, team performs better. Teams perform better fans are happy. Not to mention, I think he has drafted pretty well. It all starts at the TOP! When Wang doesn't want to pay because he is losing money, he ruins all the progress the hockey side of the organization is trying to make.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Thanks, being succinct isn't usually my strong point. ;)

I was slightly off on the portion of Vanek's retained salary. (It'll probably even out after he's traded though. I threw that correction in there. I had thought it was $2.5 million retained for some reason. It's closer to $1.4 million. After Vanek is traded, the difference between his prorated $5 million and let's say a full year of Matt Moulson instead will be negligible.)

We're still second to last in payroll in the league. We've been dead last or second to last for how many years now?

Mitch

We are dead last in salary paid.

MaryChristine*

We didn't even add salary to this team when we took on Vanek. Edit - See below.

Our prospect pool is almost too good to fail on defense (and that's where we need the most help.) We have a handful of sizable forwards and a couple that can potentially produce. It should be just enough. We'll be a good team; we've lost enough to earn that much. Without adding salary at any point though, we'll never be great.

Edit - Thought it was originally $2.5 million retained, but it was less. So we did add some, but after we trade him - well, you know the deal.

Mitch

You won't find one person who doesn't give Snow a pass on everything, who doesn't agree about the money situation. We all feel Wang is holding this organization hostage. Still , Snow has major opportunities on matters that have nothing to do with money. That's where the Snow supporters and Snow Criticizers differ.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Do you think Vanek would have signed if we offered him an extra year?
This is irrelevant...
Beside the fact that Snow realized he made a monstrous error when he thought we'd be a playoff contender and traded for Vanek, thinking he'd take a deal once we made the playoffs...
So what did he do? Offered him what he's already making?!?!?!
And on top of that... He leaked Vanek's rejection of the offer. Just so we all could see he "tried"...
We all know how good Snow is at keeping things within the organization. But this magically leaks. And we know it as our organization who leaked it since Arthur staple broke the story.
Your speculation that Wang is just cheap sucks. How about focusing on what a bad deal Snow made.
If we would have just kept Moulson... We could have GAINED a first round pick and who knows what else.
Now we have to sit here HOPING we break even... knowing in our guts that we wont. :cry:

Stop with the dumb 8th year stuff.

Excellent standout post! Yeah he leaked that Vanek rejected $50m dollars which to the average fan without the context of his current salary sounds like a big offer and Vanek just doesn't want to be here. Its disinformation at its finest.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
To the first paragraph, I have no clue why the 8th year wasn't offered - part of why in a perfect world I'd remove the entire front office. I couldn't even speculate on why they wouldn't offer the 8th year, unless money was a problem, or they simply didn't want to offer more than 7 years, etc. - again, I can't tell, but something's awry there - especially since there's been no issue extending existing contracts before.

As for the goaltending, agreed - we could use another option. I don't want to go into next year with Nabby, as we already he's a little more injury prone al the sudden. Sources seemed to claim he was in on Schneider and couldn't outbid Jersey last summer, though I can see the logic in Poulin "taking his lumps" now. I think we still have a good goalie there, but we absolutely need a starter he can learn from.

Back to the eighth year - I look at Snow & Wang and I see one guy with 2 or 3 decades of their life immersed in hockey & business, and a jackass who may have saved my hockey team from getting moved once upon a time, but who otherwise could screws up a cup of coffee and seems to elicit thoughts of some insane "monopoly man" spending $10M on his nephew's train set while 'Pennsylvania Avenue' goes to ruin. I could easily be wrong, but the impression I get is that it's more likely the problem with the 8th year was a ownership not wanting one more iteration of paying $7.5M+ more than management not recognizing that the 8th year makes a big difference.

Snow messed up on goaltending think Poulin was totally ready, when at least behind this defense he isn't. That final year on the contract offer though - that smells like "Chucky" to me.

Excellent post! Looks like the intelligent conversation is taking place in this thread rather than some of the other crazy town ones.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Lol one funny thing about the snow is that his biggest accomplishments are examples of underpaying his highest performing employees... Think about that for a second. That's inherently a double edged sword as anyone who was a high performing employee with a below market salary will attest to.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Thank you for the nod. At the risk of using political figures as a metaphor, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to blame Lyndon B. Johnson for Word War II, now does it?

That's what I see this as; a line-of-succession scapegoat for problem created years in advance before their tenure. Absolutely there were a few questionable moves, but none that would be so pivotal as to repeatedly shank the progress of the franchise because the owner is a lunatic.

That's BS. If Snow has $50/7 green lighted from wang then you know what... Don't make the Vanek trade because you'll never sign him for that. Use that money somewhere else. Trade for someone under contract. Sign a 2nd tier UFA. Resign moulson and add other players with that money.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Excellent post! Looks like the intelligent conversation is taking place in this thread rather than some of the other crazy town ones.

:cheers:

That's BS. If Snow has $50/7 green lighted from wang then you know what... Don't make the Vanek trade because you'll never sign him for that. Use that money somewhere else. Trade for someone under contract. Sign a 2nd tier UFA. Resign moulson and add other players with that money.

Keep in mind, that's likely something decided between whenever the trade was first negotiated and now. It's a little easier for me to see Wang saying "well.......offer him this much..." than Snow seeing one of the more dominant lines in the league on his roster and knowing the offer would have to be good, welching on offering the $60M+ it would take to sign him.

One can look at their separate track records and see consistency in one place and erratic decision making in the other. :dunno:

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
Face it, Snow believed his team was ready, most of us looked at the D and said - not so fast... Then he brings in a big winger for JT and injuries decimate the D. Could he predicted he was very thin on D already (SURE HE COULD, if we saw this as plain as day - he surely could). Late me also state I "believed" in Snow up until last year.

Mistake #1 over the last year - We should have landed Bishop, Schneider or Bernier as a top priority as these guys were obvious enhancements for a young/upwardly mobile team. But fact is anyone of those goalies are much better than Nabby or Poulin (short and long term), at the very least you let Poulin and one of the above battle for #1 this year.

Mistake #2 over the last year - we should have signed at least 2 quality D-men. Yes, over pay if needed. It was an obvious hole in the whole organisation.

Mistake #3 over the last year - he signed Bailey with only 20 games where he played well in the three years on LI. He should have said, show me this over 80 games and you will be part of the long-term future. Didn't work out and I don't think it ever will. He looks lost, has no fire in his belly and checks out every other game. This was obvious to us, but not Snow?

Mistake #4 over the last year - trading Nino for Cluster. Worst case you keep Nino in BP and line him up with Stromme. Build his confidence with another top 5 pick. Work it out, stop the head case crap and deal with the young man with a man's wisdom. Nash, SJ, NJ, Chic, Detroit does this all the time. What a waste of a top 5 pick.

None of these moves would have cost us a blue chip prospect.
None of these moves would have prevented us from trading for Vanek.
None of these moves would have cost more than Bailey's contract.

These are just a few lately. Had he not made these "obvious" mistakes we would be at least a .500 team with a chance for the playoffs. Now we are looking at another top 5 pick we all pray Snow won't $@^% up the draft as he is now two years removed from having Janokowski. Another Huge mistake of the past.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
:cheers:

Keep in mind, that's likely something decided between whenever the trade was first negotiated and now. It's a little easier for me to see Wang saying "well.......offer him this much..." than Snow seeing one of the more dominant lines in the league on his roster and knowing the offer would have to be good, welching on offering the $60M+ it would take to sign him.

One can look at their separate track records and see consistency in one place and erratic decision making in the other. :dunno:

Very fair point, who knows what goes on with Wang and his erratic behavior. In edging more blame Snow, but I think both you and MaryC both make great points.

Both Wang and Snow both likely have blood on their hands for this debacle.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Very fair point, who knows what goes on with Wang and his erratic behavior. In edging more blame Snow, but I think both you and MaryC both make great points.

Both Wang and Snow both likely have blood on their hands for this debacle.

And I fully agree with the bolded. I think the difference in opinion is that upon a hypothetical separation of the two and placing them with other personnel, I see Wang likely muddying the water in a franchise that does spend, repeating mistakes and doing things like getting too buddy-buddy with, or partying with the two players that eventually wind up getting their contracts bought out, while I see Snow continuing to manage a tight ship financially with a franchise that would spend and a prospect pool already in place, not getting burned on trades involving cap circumvention like Niederreiter or watching the team drag themselves through slumps as a result of a gamble on depth.

Wang would pull a bunch of eccentric mess and ruin what would be before his arrival, a normal franchise, IMO. Snow, on the other hand, would keep his head down, draft solid, and not have to make trades like the Niederreiter trade, or have to use the Niederretier contract to sit above the cap floor in the first place.

Funny thing is, the trade that ticks me off the most about Snow is one NO ONE mentioned. We could have traded Zhitnik to the Thrashers for Brayden Coburn years ago and got Frederick Meyer IV, Esquire from the Flyers instead.

Last edited:

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I still think Wang needs to go first. Snow can do a better job with a better allowance and other resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad