TV: SNL: Season 45 Murphy to Host: Shane Gilis hired/fired

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Shane Gillis?
Nah, this will undoubtedly make him a bigger name than if he was a featured player on SNL for a couple of seasons. He's gonna do the Adam Carolla and Ben Shapiro podcast rounds, blah blah political correctness, blah blah cancel culture.

Somebody's head at SNL probably should roll for this, whoever's job it was to vet potential new cast members fell asleep on the job.

Reactions: Beau Knows

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Gillis is for sure getting a Joe Rogan podcast episode.

Getting fired from a terrible show like SNL doesn’t qualify as a cancellation either. That’s a gift.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Nah, this will undoubtedly make him a bigger name than if he was a featured player on SNL for a couple of seasons. He's gonna do the Adam Carolla and Ben Shapiro podcast rounds, blah blah political correctness, blah blah cancel culture.

Somebody's head at SNL probably should roll for this, whoever's job it was to vet potential new cast members fell asleep on the job.

I'm sure they were aware of his past, it's probably why they took him on. SNL needs a spark. The conspiracy in me, is they did all this on purpose to boost interest and ratings.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh okay. Losing your new job isn't "cancel culture" because that new job sucked anyway. :rolleyes:
Or that he'll just get a different job. If people think cancel culture is someone barred from making a living for life, then obviously that doesn't exist. Not even worth engaging that argument.

Sep 19, 2008
Or that he'll just get a different job. If people think cancel culture is someone barred from making a living for life, then obviously that doesn't exist. Not even worth engaging that argument.
Yup. He'll just go back to Gas Digital and Matt and Shane's "Secret" Podcast will return. The people who like him will be happy and the outraged and slighted who didn't like that brand of off key humor will be pleased.

LOS recorded Monday night and were fresh off the news so we will see what they have to say when their free eps drop Friday :laugh: Suffice it to say they are NOT pleased

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Again, is it cancel culture when people within the industry call it garbage?

I want to make sure I know what I can comment on in social media before I get labeled a part of "the mob".
Do they want him off SNL? Are they contacting their advertisers? What about the people in the industry that disagree with that notion. Calls to authority usually don't work well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Shane Gillis labor worth was not worth the risk to SNL to keep him. The free market has spoken. :sarcasm:
Pretty much. It's why attacking Chappelle would never work. It's why Colbert got away with his Trump Putin holster joke while a smaller person wouldn't. The one that surprised me was Kevin Hart.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Do they want him off SNL? Are they contacting their advertisers? What about the people in the industry that disagree with that notion. Calls to authority usually don't work well.
When I saw the podcast I would have though even less of SNL than I currently do, especially with the optics of his jokes and them hiring their first ever Asian full-time cast member. And many others commented on this as well.

Surprisingly enough public perception can be a very important aspect when it comes to media that is so large in scope. To act like people who say ridiculously shitty things should never suffer some kind of consequence for it is ridiculous to me. This have existed long before Twitter was a thing, so calling it some "cancel culture" is way off the mark. Don Imus lost his radio job before Twitter really took off, and that is only an example I know off the top of my head.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When I saw the podcast I would have though even less of SNL than I currently do, especially with the optics of his jokes and them hiring their first ever Asian full-time cast member. And many others commented on this as well.

Surprisingly enough public perception can be a very important aspect when it comes to media that is so large in scope. To act like people who say ridiculously ****ty things should never suffer some kind of consequence for it is ridiculous to me. This have existed long before Twitter was a thing, so calling it some "cancel culture" is way off the mark. Don Imus lost his radio job before Twitter really took off, and that is only an example I know off the top of my head.
I'm not sure what your point is and if you deny that there are groups out there, on all sides of issues that will target advertisers and sponsors and endorsements to get people that they don't agree with fired or cancelled, then I don't know where we can go from here. I never stated that it all started the day twitter existed, it's just gotten worse with it.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I'm not sure what your point is and if you deny that there are groups out there, on all sides of issues that will target advertisers and sponsors and endorsements to get people that they don't agree with fired or cancelled, then I don't know where we can go from here. I never stated that it all started the day twitter existed, it's just gotten worse with it.
My problem is there is this growing fear from the right and "edgy" comedians who are calling out this vague concept of a "cancel culture", without ever describing what it is or how it manifests or how effective it actually is.

People bitch on Twitter. That is one of the major features of the platform. If you are going to say racist shit, then people on Twitter are probably going to call you out for it. That isn't "cancel culture" as people describe it.

Reactions: BonMorrison

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
By the way if you get called out and legitimately try to engage with the criticism in a genuine fashion, you are more likely to lose the heat than if you apologize in a stupid half-handed way like Gillis did.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My problem is there is this growing fear from the right and "edgy" comedians who are calling out this vague concept of a "cancel culture", without ever describing what it is or how it manifests or how effective it actually is.

People ***** on Twitter. That is one of the major features of the platform. If you are going to say racist ****, then people on Twitter are probably going to call you out for it. That isn't "cancel culture" as people describe it.
I've described, others have described, you either ignored it or just flat out disagree.

Gunn was cancel culture, Kathy Griffin was cancel culture, Mario Lopez, Chris Pratt, etc.

Some of those deserved the blowback they got and some didn't. Cancel Culture isn't just against the right or the left or comedians. It is about a force of ideology, and if you don't apologize and stay in line, then you'll be kicked out. It does nothing to actually change their behavior if it is bad behavior.

If the goal is the eliminate racism, there are much more effective ways to do it.

Reactions: TheBeastCoast

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
By the way if you get called out and legitimately try to engage with the criticism in a genuine fashion, you are more likely to lose the heat than if you apologize in a stupid half-handed way like Gillis did.

A million times this. And nobody has, not Gillis, not the comedians who have rushed to his defence, not the people on this forum, this thread, who are defending Shane Gillis. It's all been sensitive, indignant martyrdom. I'm not going to take the woe is me takes seriously if you can't even be bothered to stand up for the actual words. So many comedians come across as the biggest crybabies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kevin Hart tried that if I recall, didn't really help him. Sometimes you don't even get a chance to engage, Al Franken is an example of that.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I've described, others have described, you either ignored it or just flat out disagree.

Gunn was cancel culture, Kathy Griffin was cancel culture, Mario Lopez, Chris Pratt, etc.
Saying "this is cancel culture" is not an explanation of what it is.

Cancel Culture isn't just against the right or the left or comedians. It is about a force of ideology, and if you don't apologize and stay in line, then you'll be kicked out. It does nothing to actually change their behavior if it is bad behavior.

If the goal is the eliminate racism, there are much more effective ways to do it.
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Saying "this is cancel culture" is not an explanation of what it is.

I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous.
In previous posts, I'm not going to go back through them when it's apparent that it won't be a worthwhile discussion. It'll inevitably get too political and not productive.

What part is ridiculous?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
In previous posts, I'm not going to go back through them when it's apparent that it won't be a worthwhile discussion. It'll inevitably get too political and not productive.

What part is ridiculous?
The concept of "you better stay in line or you are kicked out." What exactly does "stay in line" mean? Not say stupid racist stuff that is demeaning to other people or you may not get a highly sought-after profession that has a very limited number of people who can actually participate, meaning you will have to settle for your regular career?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The concept of "you better stay in line or you are kicked out." What exactly does "stay in line" mean? Not say stupid racist stuff that is demeaning to other people or you may not get a highly sought-after profession that has a very limited number of people who can actually participate, meaning you will have to settle for your regular career?

Take Mario Lopez saying that 3 year olds are too young to make a decision on what gender they are. He was forced to apologize and you better believe he won't be making public comments along those lines again. That's making sure he stays in line or he'll be out of Hollywood.

Chris Pratt has had similar comments about blue-collar America not being represented or other things related to hunting or his don't tread on me shirt. He's been forced to apologize and if he wasn't a huge star that brings in tons of money, he'd have more problems.

Not of that stuff is even close to being an issue or controversial like the Gillis thing obviously is, but it still caused an outrage mob that they had to apologize for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad