Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I've only watched the first 2 fights, but the second fight....wow:

[SPOIL]Talk about a late hit. He completely mixed up the bell and clicker. A well deserved DQ, even though he admitted his mistake.[/SPOIL]

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
[spoil]
I agree with just about everything you said c_k, so I won't spend time repeating.

Top to bottom it was a very enjoyable card, aside from the Texeira/Singh nonsense, each fight was pretty good despite only one KO and, what, two other fights with knockdowns.

Here's how I'd like to see the brackets set up for December 5th:
1 Bonjansky vs. Karaev

3 Schilt vs. Texeira

2 Hari vs. Overeem

4 LeBanner vs. Zimmerman

Reserve: Manhoef vs. Ghita (though I've gotta imagine they'll put Aerts in the reserve fight)
[/spoil]

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Mike Schiavello's twitter says these are the final 8 brackets:

[spoil]Hari vs Karaev
Texeira vs Overeem Side A.

LeBanner vs Schilt
Bonjasky vs Zimmerman side B.[/spoil]

Not the fights I would have chosen, but it splits the talent up pretty well.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Mike Schiavello's twitter says these are the final 8 brackets:

[spoil]Hari vs Karaev
Texeira vs Overeem Side A.

LeBanner vs Schilt
Bonjasky vs Zimmerman side B.[/spoil]

Not the fights I would have chosen, but it splits the talent up pretty well.

[spoil]They're setting up a Hari v Overeem rematch in the semis. Plus potential Schilt v Hari or Bonjaski v Hari matchups in the Final. Unless Overeem beats Badr again...

Obviously anything can happen, but it seems pretty likely that Hari, Overeem, Schilt, and Bonjasky advance. With the first three looking the most dangerous in the round of 16. I thought the Remy/Melvin fight should have at the very least gone to an extra round.[/spoil]

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
According to Junkie:
"Bellator Fighting Championships lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez (18-2) meets DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno (12-1-1)" - This is a go for Dream 12, should be a good fight.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
According to Junkie:
"Bellator Fighting Championships lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez (18-2) meets DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno (12-1-1)" - This is a go for Dream 12, should be a good fight.

Yeah I dunno much about Kikuno except that he's a karate guy and DREAM really seems to be throwing him into the deep end, but he impressed against Dida in his last fight so this may not be a huge mismatch. Though Alvarez represents a completely different kind of challenge.

I'll be interested to see what other matchups they come up with, though it'll be tough to beat DREAM 11 (which is coming up next week by the way... on a Tuesday though, so no all-nighter :( )

Also Melvin is the best, even when he loses
2584278.gif

I wanna see him bust some heads in Strikeforce, like get him to fight Lawler or something.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Heh, yeah, that was great with Melvin.

Could he could pass a drug test in the state though?

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Melvin did that to milk the crowd after a very close and controversial decision loss to Remy this past weekend.

I thought the same thing but I'm a bit of a newb with K-1 so I hadn't posted anything about it. In my eyes Melvin won that fight, worst case scenario it should've went to an extra round.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I thought the same thing but I'm a bit of a newb with K-1 so I hadn't posted anything about it. In my eyes Melvin won that fight, worst case scenario it should've went to an extra round.
I don't think there's a strong case for Melvin winning, but an extra round for sure.

The good thing about K-1 scoring is that in addition to having the option to extend to up to two extra rounds, the judges can score a round 10-10 if it's too close to call and there weren't any knock-downs.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I don't think there's a strong case for Melvin winning, but an extra round for sure.

The good thing about K-1 scoring is that in addition to having the option to extend to up to two extra rounds, the judges can score a round 10-10 if it's too close to call and there weren't any knock-downs.

Thanks for that, like I said I'm a K-1 newb, any rule clarifiaction is always appreciated. I really like the 10-10 scoring, that option should be available in all combat sports, IMO.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
So they made a last-minute addition to the DREAM 11 card, Sakuraba is on it fighting a some pro boxer looking for a paycheque. Cool I guess? :dunno:

HEIWA DREAM.11 Featherweight GP 2009 Finals
Date: October 6th, 2009
Place: Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan

Featherweight GP 2009 Final:
9. Tokoro/Takaya vs. Warren/Fernandes

DREAM Lightweight Title Fight:
8. Joachim Hansen vs. Shinya Aoki

Middleweight Fight:
7. Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Rubin Williams

Lightweight Fight:
6. Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Melchor Barracuda

Super Hulk Tournament Semifinals:
5. Sokoudjou vs. Bob Sapp
4. Minowaman vs. Choi Hong Man

Featherweight GP 2009 Semifinals:
3. Joe Warren vs. Bibiano Fernandes
2. Hideo Tokoro vs. Hiroyuki Takaya

Featherweight GP 2009 Reserve Fight:
1. DJ.taiki vs. Kazuyuki Miyata

In the FWGP I kinda see Warren vs Fernandes as being the "real" final since I don't think either Tokoro or Takaya has what it takes to beat either guy. It's a pretty interesting wrestler vs grappler matchup, though it could play out as a bit of a chess match in practice. Warren looked a little careless with his arms when he was in Kid's guard which could get him in trouble, but I'm not actually sure how good Fernandes' submissions are as he seems to be more of a positional grappler. So I'm gonna go with Warren by decision through better workrate and strikes landed in the standup.

Tokoro/Takaya is a striker/grappler matchup instead, though Takaya's submission defense is decent as well. A bit of a toss-up but I'll go with Takaya by TKO. As mentioned, I think whoever wins this is going to be in tough for the final unless something weird happens (always a possibility in tourneys, of course).

Sokoudjou should have an easy time with Sapp, he'll probably be tapping after about 10 punches. Really wish Mousasi were healthy for this as that was a much more interesting fight. Minowa/Choi should be good for a laugh, I'm sure Minowa will be going for a leg lock and will probably get one, but he'd better be careful that Choi doesn't fall on top of him :laugh:. Kawajiri is going to crush (heh heh) the nobody that they're putting in front of him.

Finally, Hansen-Aoki :yo:. It's a tough fight to call given that Hansen hasn't fought in a year, so who knows what kind of shape he's in. While striking is obviously his bread and butter, his grappling is pretty solid so I think Aoki will have a tough time catching him in a submission again. However I think he'll be able to drag it to the mat and keep Hansen on the defensive enough to get the win. Aoki by decision.

Aoki/Hansen promo:

If you've ever wanted to watch an 11-minute Minowa highlight, you're in luck:

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
This one snuck up on me. I knew about it, I just was caught off guard with how quickly August and September went by for me.

Even though this card has been watered down numerous times since they started to announce the fights, this should still be an entertaining card.

Not sure how quickly I'll be able to pace through the telecast since I've been so busy, so would those intent on discussing the fight please use spoilers until the weekend? TIA

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Bibiano/Warren fight sure ended in bizarre fashion...
[spoil]Crazy slam by Warren and postured up for some GnP. Bibiano latched on to an arm and spun around for an armbar. To me it looked like Warren tapped once on Fernandez' leg and his face seemed resigned. Ref jumps in. Warren suddenly looks shocked and Bibiano freaks out. Was there some pre-fight animosity there? Bibiano got in Warren's face after and then stormed out in a huff before he could even get his arm raised. Crazy... [/spoil]

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Such crap...

[spoil]I thought Hansen was winning that, should have held on for 10 more seconds rather than roll for th knee. I thought the TO to save himself from getting KTFO was more than a little questionable by Aoki. Punches to the ear being warned for punches to the back of the head. Hell one of the take downs in the 2nd was assisted by the officials. Hansen had a foot outside of the ropes and while the guy outside of the ring lifted his leg to sneak the rope under Aoki dragged him down. Then proceeded to do next to nothing. Oh well.[/spoil]

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Everyone absolutely positively has to watch the Featherweight Final!

Holy **** that was ridiculous!

LiquidClown

Feb 28, 2002
Huntsville, Al
Such crap...

[spoil]I thought Hansen was winning that, should have held on for 10 more seconds rather than roll for th knee. I thought the TO to save himself from getting KTFO was more than a little questionable by Aoki. Punches to the ear being warned for punches to the back of the head. Hell one of the take downs in the 2nd was assisted by the officials. Hansen had a foot outside of the ropes and while the guy outside of the ring lifted his leg to sneak the rope under Aoki dragged him down. Then proceeded to do next to nothing. Oh well.[/spoil]

[spoil] I'll agree with you on the second take down that was a little bunk but Aoki was taking Hansen down fairly easily. The time-out I felt was justified because if you look closely Hansen kicks Aoki in the balls before those two up kicks land and he actually is falling down into the up kicks. Aoki wins with another slick submission. He baited him into that and as soon as Hansen bit, Aoki snapped the arm and it was all over.

Found it a little funny a guy named "Hellboy" has "Jesus didn't tap" on his shorts..........that and then he tapped to :)

The featherweight final was a damn good fight but there's no way Fernandes won that fight. I know that they judge the entire bout and not by round but Takaya was taking it to him for most of the fight.

[/spoil]

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
[spoil] I'll agree with you on the second take down that was a little bunk but Aoki was taking Hansen down fairly easily. The time-out I felt was justified because if you look closely Hansen kicks Aoki in the balls before those two up kicks land and he actually is falling down into the up kicks. Aoki wins with another slick submission. He baited him into that and as soon as Hansen bit, Aoki snapped the arm and it was all over.

Found it a little funny a guy named "Hellboy" has "Jesus didn't tap" on his shorts..........that and then he tapped to :)
[/spoil]
[spoil]Aoki was having a tricky time with that particular takedown until the outside official added a single leg to the bodylock...

The ref has to call time, not the fighter. And the entire time was spent clutching his head and checking out his eyes recovering from getting rocked, not maybe getting clipped in the cup. And if you watch the rest of the fight whenever Hansen was down and Aoki standing Shinya is thrusting his groin at Hansen, seemingly in an attempt to defend upkicks.

The constant punches to the ear getting warned, the whole fight just smelled shady. Which is likely why Hansen felt compelled to try and finish that fight rather than holding on until the judges cards.[/spoil]

[spoil]The featherweight final was a damn good fight but there's no way Fernandes won that fight. I know that they judge the entire bout and not by round but Takaya was taking it to him for most of the fight.[/spoil]
[spoil]I agree. They must have heavily weighed the two standing back controls, though Bibiano did absolutely nothing but hang there both times.[/spoil]

Last edited:

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
Might want to edit that so you can hide the un-spoiled part of the FW final.

[spoil]Warren definitely tapped in the semi but that was so classless by fernandes. He went nuts 'cause he caught a guy with two fights in an arm bar. Someone like Jose Aldo would destroy him.[/spoil]

LiquidClown

Feb 28, 2002
Huntsville, Al
[/spoil]
[spoil]Aoki was having a tricky time with that particular takedown until the outside official added a single leg to the bodylock...

The ref has to call time, not the fighter. And the entire time was spent clutching his head and checking out his eyes recovering from getting rocked, not maybe getting clipped in the cup. And if you watch the rest of the fight whenever Hansen was down and Aoki standing Shinya is thrusting his groin at Hansen, seemingly in an attempt to defend upkicks.

[/spoil]

[spoil]
He got more than "clipped"Go see if you can find the HDnet feed of it, they showed it from another angle and hansen kicked him square in the nuts, Shinya took the blow and started going downwards and that's when Hansen caught him with two arguably illegal up kicks. Of course he's going to be shaken up. Go get kicked in the balls then twice in the side of the head and see what happens haha.

If you're going to call it shady keep in mind of the result of the featherweight final where the JAPANESE fighter got the short end of the stick. If you're going to blame anyone blame the ref in the ring. Though it wouldn't be the first time though that stepping out of the ring would cost someone positioning.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some odd stuff in the fight but Aoki controlled the ground game pretty dominantly.[/spoil]

[spoil]I agree. They must have heavily weighed the two standing back controls, though Bibiano did absolutely nothing but hang there both times.[/spoil]
[spoil]Like you said he had the standing back controls twice but never even as so much got a choke even slightly in. Takaya dominated him otherwise. I can't figure out how you would give that fight to him. Oh well. [/spoil]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad