Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
[spoil]
-Nutshot to Aoki was legit as far as I'm concerned, no faking. Agree that some of the other stuff was kind of shady though, the ref grabbing a single :laugh:, constantly warning Hansen about rabbit punching when that **** was going on all night in the other fights with nary a peep, etc. At any rate you still have to give credit to Aoki for the win, and Hansen for lasting that long in pretty much a pure grappling match with him -- even being gutsy enough to try for a few subs himself! Anyways I'm happy with the result because Kawajiri/Aoki is going to rule (Kawajiri will probably beat the crap out of him though)

- I would have given the nod to Takaya in the final as well, but it was close enough that I think the decision is fair. Aside from taking his back twice Bibiano also knocked him down once (right before the second time he took his back) and landed some pretty hard shots of his own, just not as many. At any rate I was really impressed with Takaya, he fared a lot better than I was expecting him to. His takedown defense was especially good. And the fight with Tokoro was great as well, possibly even better than the final. He was awful in the WEC so it's nice to see him bounce back on home turf.

- This is why Bibiano got in Warren's face after their match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rls33CHzzSI&#t=1m37s. I dunno what Warren was complaining about, it looked like he tapped twice on the leg to me and that arm was gonna get broken anyways.

- don't really wanna see Minowa fight Sokoudjou, he might die :(
[/spoil]

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
[spoil]
-Nutshot to Aoki was legit as far as I'm concerned, no faking. Agree that some of the other stuff was kind of shady though, the ref grabbing a single :laugh:, constantly warning Hansen about rabbit punching when that **** was going on all night in the other fights with nary a peep, etc. At any rate you still have to give credit to Aoki for the win, and Hansen for lasting that long in pretty much a pure grappling match with him -- even being gutsy enough to try for a few subs himself! Anyways I'm happy with the result because Kawajiri/Aoki is going to rule (Kawajiri will probably beat the crap out of him though)

- I would have given the nod to Takaya in the final as well, but it was close enough that I think the decision is fair. Aside from taking his back twice Bibiano also knocked him down once (right before the second time he took his back) and landed some pretty hard shots of his own, just not as many. At any rate I was really impressed with Takaya, he fared a lot better than I was expecting him to. His takedown defense was especially good. And the fight with Tokoro was great as well, possibly even better than the final. He was awful in the WEC so it's nice to see him bounce back on home turf.

- This is why Bibiano got in Warren's face after their match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rls33CHzzSI&#t=1m37s. I dunno what Warren was complaining about, it looked like he tapped twice on the leg to me and that arm was gonna get broken anyways.

- don't really wanna see Minowa fight Sokoudjou, he might die :(
[/spoil]

Agreed 100%. Great night of fights.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
[spoil]Yeah, that nutshot was pretty rough. I didn't think they were allowed to actually have him take a seat in the corner though, that was kind of odd. I think it's without question that notable Japanese fighters over there do get special treatment inside the ring. I had Joachim winning the fight but had he made it to the end, I'm pretty sure that Aoki would've taken the decision. Still, I'm glad Aoki won.[/spoil]

Oh, and

[spoil]WAR MINOWA!!!!!![/spoil]

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Thanks to everyone for using the spoiler tags.

[spoil]
Put me down as another who thought that Takaya should have taken that decision. He landed much more strikes standing and nullified all of Fernandes's takedown offense. Definitely the fight of the night though, and much props to both men for their performance -- especially in that final minute. It's a shame that more fighters don't go for broke when they hear the final minute warning. Takaya's standup was top notch: he was fast, varied his combos, and his footwork was amazing. Bibiano's on the other hand was wild, and stationary. I can't see him holding the title very long.

Joe Warren got careless and it cost him. He may not have tapped, but how was he going to get out of that position? He'll be back, but hopefully this serves as a lesson that just because fighting with reckless abandon can win you fights, it doesn't mean it can't cost you them as well. I figured training with Urijah post-Brown I would have helped him learn this lesson. Apparently I was wrong.

Hansen/Aoki was another fun one. A lot of chessmatch-like posturing. As much of a dick he is, I really have to hand it to Aoki for pulling off a sub in the final 5 seconds or so. I for one, think that Aoki was milking the timeout. Sorry...you cry wolf so many times, you deserve to be met with cynicism instead of the benefit of the doubt.

Blah...Sakuraba and Kawajiri did what they were supposed to do: dominate cans and bring their fanbases out to the show.

Another blah for the Superjoke tournament. Sokoudjou did the same thing to Sapp as he did to Nortje, though it was good to once again hear a Bob Sapp war cry.

The only surprise from the HMC/Minowaman fight was that it lasted so long.

I'm currently starting to buy into the theory that Mousasi wasn't really injured, but he didn't want his name associated with this joke of a sideshow in the long run.

Lastly, I'll also note the clear discrepancy to shots to the back of the head, depending on the fighters. Anything close to the side of the head was levied with a warning for Hansen, for instance, yet Kawajiri's went over like a fart in the wind. Neither were very notable to begin with, but to me, the inconsistency was clear.

Fun card, as usual. I'm also starting to think that Schiavello might be a little bicurious (he called Mezger sexy like 3 times and dubbed Miyata, Sexyata).

[/spoil]

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Thanks to everyone for using the spoiler tags.

Fun card, as usual. I'm also starting to think that Schiavello might be a little bicurious (he called Mezger sexy like 3 times and dubbed Miyata, Sexyata).

I noticed that also, he may in fact hit from both sides of the plate.

[spoil]

The superhulk tourny was a farce, no doubt about it, but Minowman is in big trouble against Soko. Does anyone think he really has a chance? His tactics work against the freakshows but I have no idea how he isn't going to be murdered against a real fighter.....

I thought Warren was being a b***h, to me it looked like he tapped. But even if he didn't, the ref had to call that before his arm got snapped. Deal with it, move on and grow from it Joe.

Regarding the low blow, I think I"ll give Aoki the benefit of the doubt also, it did look like it hit him square in the test ies. What is the rule to kicking a downed opponent? Beyond the nut shot, it looked like that last up kick to the temple landed while Aoki had his knees on the mat, is that illegal in dream?

Finally, does anybody know if Aoki/Kawarji is going to happen at dynamite? [/spoil]

kideh

[spoil]
You can't kick or stomp a downed opponent in the head from a standing position, but I think of both fighters are downed, you're allowed kicks to the head in DREAM.

Aoki said something about fighting a lot this year and wanting to take a break when asked about Dynamite and on BloodyElbow there's a thing about rumours that his contract with DREAM is up, and he could be contemplating a move to the US... but that could be bargaining tactics.

I don't know why Warren was complaining. His arm was extended before he hit the mat, he was flattened out with his head in the wrong direction, and Bibiano had Warren's opposite arm tied up with his feet. There was no way he was escaping.
[/spoil]

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
do any of you guys watch "The Outsiders" fights? and if you do can you pm me with some links please =)

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
I finally saw the Dream 11 Featherweight GP Final...

[spoil]Disagreed (barely) with the decision. Thought that Streetfight Bancho took it. Didn't really take damage despite the takedowns, and was more crisp in the striking throughout the bout.[/spoil]

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Big weekend in Japanese fightsports! (Thanks to Nightmare of Battle for all these cards)

OLYMPIA DREAM.12
Date: October 25th, 2009
Place: Osaka Castle Hall in Osaka, Japan

LW: Katsunori Kikuno vs. Eddie Alvarez
LW: Parky vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
WW: Marius Zaromskis vs. Myeon Ho Bae
MW: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Zelg “Benkei” Galesic
MW: Yoon Dong Sik vs. Paulo Filho
MW: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tokimitsu Ishizawa
FW: Yoshiro Maeda vs. Chase Beebe
FW: Keisuke Fujiwara vs. Tomoya Miyashi-ta
HW: Alistair Overeem vs. TBA

FieLDS K-1 WORLD MAX 2009 World Championship Tournament -FINAL-
Date: October 26th, 2009
Place: Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan

K-1 World MAX 2009 FINAL Fights (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
Souwer/Pramuk vs. Petrosyan/Yamamoto
Andy Souwer vs. Buakaw Por. Pramuk
Giorgio Petrosyan vs. Yuya Yamamoto

K-1 World MAX 2009 FINAL Reserve Fight (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
Yoshihiro Sato vs. Yasuhiro Kido

Superfights (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
MAX: Kozo Takeda vs. Albert Kraus
MAX: Taishin Kohiruimaki vs. Drago
MAX: Hinata vs. Mike Zambidis
MAX: Artur Kyshenko vs. Toofan “Storm” Salafzoon
MAX: Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima vs. Xu Yan
60kg: Kazuhisa Watanabe vs. Jae Hee Cheon

It'll be interesting to see how DREAM's cage experiment goes. The card on paper is kind of blah. Kikuno/Alvarez should be interesting, Alvarez has a tendency to get tagged in his fights and Kikuno seems to have pretty sick precision with his striking. Smart money would still have to be on Alvarez taking him down and pounding him out though, I think. Aside from that.... eh. Zelg/Saku could be interesting, I know Zelg is mainly a kickboxer but I don't think he has the kind of power that say, Manhoef used to bulldoze through Saku, so Saku could have a chance here. On the other hand this is a big step up from that boxer he faced a couple of weeks ago. :laugh: I don't know anything about the guy Zaromskis is fighting but I'm guessing he's not great. I don't see Yoon having anything to offer against Filho. Beebe/Maeda should be a good fight. And Overeem is reportedly fighting James Thompson, a big step up from his last fight against Tony Sylvester :laugh:.

K-1 MAX final should be good, Souwer/Buakaw I think is a toss-up (edge to Souwer maybe) and Petrosyan shouldn't have much trouble beating Yamamoto. I'm thinking Petrosyan takes the whole thing.

DREAM is live on HDNet late Saturday/early Sunday, but I don't think the K-1 finals are.

Also, any Gomi fans out there, he fights next week on another Japanese show which I think is part of the Shooto promotion, more details here: http://nightmareofbattle.wordpress....japan-09-rumina-sato-vs-joe-warren-announced/. It's also going to feature Joe Warren fighting Rumina Sato, which should be interesting... Sato has looked shot lately but he's still got good submissions, so Warren had better protect those arms.

Anyways I'm gonna miss all the action (as well as UFC 104) cause I'm out of town at a conference, lame. Why couldn't it have been last weekend instead... :rant:

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Now I'm still newer to MMA so correct me if I'm wrong, but DREAM is MMA and K-1 is kick-boxing, correct? I know Sengoku is MMA.

Still going to tape DREAM. Jeez, more and more I'm falling in love with HDNET.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Now I'm still newer to MMA so correct me if I'm wrong, but DREAM is MMA and K-1 is kick-boxing, correct? I know Sengoku is MMA.

Still going to tape DREAM. Jeez, more and more I'm falling in love with HDNET.
You are correct about DREAM being MMA and K-1 being kickboxing. They're actually owned by the same company though and many of their fighters will fight in both.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Has there been any rumours about where Gomi is heading after this fight? I read that he stated this would be his last fight in Japan for quite some time which led me to beleive he may be US bound....

This article is the most recent one I've read about that...

Gomi already said in public that after the VTJ fight; he would like to cross the Pacific Ocean to fight in the states. He had agreed to fight for Affliction but the show never happened, and his management team did get into talks with other promotions such as the UFC, Strikeforce, and Bellator but nothing really went forward partly because Gomi was looking for just a one-fight contract that would give him a relatively hefty pay check, and with a clause where he get to chose the opponent. However after the fall of Affliction it seems like Gomi's management has realized that he has to do a multi-fight deal otherwise the PRIDE lightweight GP champ would never get a shot at fighting for major promotion in the states.
What about Sengoku? Well, he could end up in their New Year's Eve show because after all Gomi, is still one of the biggest ticket sellers in Japanese MMA.
The outcome of this fight would probably determine where Gomi would be heading for next year.

Kinda sounds like he wants to fight in the States but his demands (to this point, anyways) have been a bit unrealistic.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Wow, what a weekend coming up.

Once again, I'm going to ask that spoiler tags be in effect.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Could we just say that people who haven't watched the events yet or don't want them spoiled should avoid clicking on this particular thread for a few days? I found it a little tedious having to highlight/mouse over everyone's spoilered comments after the last one. It's not a huge deal either way, but presumably if someone's opening this thread within a few days of the event, they know it happened and are interested in either reading or commenting about it anyways.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Could we just say that people who haven't watched the events yet or don't want them spoiled should avoid clicking on this particular thread for a few days? I found it a little tedious having to highlight/mouse over everyone's spoilered comments after the last one. It's not a huge deal either way, but presumably if someone's opening this thread within a few days of the event, they know it happened and are interested in either reading or commenting about it anyways.

True, now that we're not operating out of a single thread anymore, and have a whole MMA board, it's a lot easier to avoid spoilers.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Either way works for me. If anyone sees a new thread created for either event, please report the post to have a mod merge it -- just in case I don't spot it right away.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I would just put it in the thread title, in a separate thread for discussion, "MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS" in upper case, if it gets to that point. Make it the first thing. That way they've been warned.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
hm, OK. Maybe people should spoiler-tag the K-1 discussion until next week then. :D

Tonight will be pretty cool, I think DREAM kicks off about an hour after UFC 104 ends. :yo: I might have a chance to catch it after all...

Sideline

May 23, 2004
[spoil]Holy crap Zaromskis is turning into a WW CroCop! Another head kick KO.

I thought for sure Sakuraba was going to get stopped, but he somehow managed to pull out a kneebar.

Thompson is a joke...[/spoil]

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
Good show the Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tokimitsu Ishizawa was easily MOTN

[spoil]the main event was a time waster..I hated seeing alveraz win especially in what seemed flukey...Indifferent about Zaromskis but he has to be given respect. I honestly thought he was going to get caught while he was being overly aggressive but then he just crocopped the poor dude :shakehead while his legend grows I hope we see him in strikeforce soon. sakuraba fight was also a feel good moment and I aint even japanese..But what did he say at the end? is he retiring? [/spoil]

I didnt like the cage gimmick, I honestly hope it was a one off..I think what pissed me off more than anything was them adopting the 3 five minute rounds system..Thats not what Japanese mma is about..What I always liked about the 10 minute first round 5 minute second round system was the battle of attrition element.. The fights also felt like u were watching a story unfold..There was an art to it,the 3 five minute round system works for america because its geared towards blood lusting casuals who want to see chaos at a frenetic pace

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad