Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Too bad Time Warner Cable are complete tools so I don't get HDNet or even the option to purchase it. Which leads me to ask, where do you guys watch/download fights/cards?

I'm not sure, someone will hook you up. I was able to find a live stream of the Miller/Jacre fight (#2), just can't remember what the IP was.

Could someone with more knowledge of these internet machines help this man out?

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Overeem's going to fight Peter Aerts in the K-1 World Grand Prix :yo:

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/news/2009/0901_wgp_01.html

The opening round is:
1. Badr Hari vs. Zabit Samedov
2. Ruslan Karaev vs. KYOTARO
3. Semmy Schilt vs. Daniel Ghita
4. Ewerton Teixeira vs. Singh "Heart" Jaideep
5. Peter Aerts vs. Alistair Overeem
6. Remy Bonjasky vs. Melvin Manhoef
7. Errol Zimmerman vs. Glaube Feitosa
8. Jerome LeBanner vs. Musashi

Only a month away though, I hope Overeem's hand is healed up.

Manhoef is going to get killed by Bonjasky again :(

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Overeem's going to fight Peter Aerts in the K-1 World Grand Prix :yo:

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/news/2009/0901_wgp_01.html

The opening round is:

Only a month away though, I hope Overeem's hand is healed up.

Manhoef is going to get killed by Bonjasky again :(

When did Melvin qualify? I had thought he got injured in his last chance. I'm thrilled, but at the sametime upset that I missed his qualificaiton.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
When did Melvin qualify? I had thought he got injured in his last chance. I'm thrilled, but at the sametime upset that I missed his qualificaiton.
According to wikipedia, Gokhan Saki, who would was a finalist last year, is injured, so I'm assuming Melvin's taking his place. :dunno:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
There were always going to be three spots that would just get filled in by guys of K-1's choosing, then as Ensane mentioned someone had to fill in for Saki as well. So Overeem, Manhoef, Feitosa and Musashi are the four guys who have been entered without winning the qualifiers / being a final 8 participant from last year.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'll be rooting for Remy as usual. The first two K-1 events I watched were the GP finals in 2003 & 2004 and Remy won the tourney both those years. His flying knees are awesome to watch. I'm a big Aerts fan as well but I like Overreem a lot too so hopefully the winner of that meets Remy in the final.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I was watching the Score lastnight (sport station in the great white north) and Mauro Ranallo said there was outlets reporting a Sengoku bout between Barnett and Bigfoot Silva if he (Silva) wins his next bout.

I'm assuming it would be for the PEC (performance enchancing championship of the world), but an interesting fight none the less.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Same here, mainly cuz he's one of the few guys i'm real familiar with. I haven't followed K-1 for about 4-5 years, so I'm pretty out of touch. The only other thing concrete, I won't be rooting for Hari.
It's kind of the same thing with me. I followed it a lot closer in 2004/2005 then I have the last few years. There's still enough top guys from 04/05 fighting now but I'm not very familiar with guys like Zimmerman, Teixeira, Kyotaro, Jaideep and Ghita. Even Hari I only know from his spazout cheapshots on Remy last year and then getting KTFO by Overreem on NYE after dissing MMA.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
It's kind of the same thing with me. I followed it a lot closer in 2004/2005 then I have the last few years. There's still enough top guys from 04/05 fighting now but I'm not very familiar with guys like Zimmerman, Teixeira, Kyotaro, Jaideep and Ghita. Even Hari I only know from his spazout cheapshots on Remy last year and then getting KTFO by Overreem on NYE after dissing MMA.
Heh, a few of those guys were finishing high school when you last followed K-1.

That's the thing that I love, you've got guys like Aerts, JLB, and Feitosa, who are competitive into their late 30s, but you've also got a handful of extremely young up and comers that are good enough to compete in their early 20s.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
There were always going to be three spots that would just get filled in by guys of K-1's choosing, then as Ensane mentioned someone had to fill in for Saki as well. So Overeem, Manhoef, Feitosa and Musashi are the four guys who have been entered without winning the qualifiers / being a final 8 participant from last year.
Ah, here's the scoop:
4 men have been chosen as a result of the fan poll held on the K-1 Official Site.

The result of the fan poll held on the K-1 Official Site is shown below:

1. Alistair Overeem - 14104
2. Melvin Manhoef - 9233
3. Mirko Crocop - 8153
4. Glaube Feitosa - 8102
5. Catalin Morosanu - 8093
6. Musashi - 8084
7. Mark Hunt - 3249
8. Tyrone Spong - 2069
9. Paul Slowinski - 2024
10. Stefan Leko - 1857
11. Pavel Zuravliov - 1835
12. Alexey Ignashov - 1383
13. Yosuke Nishijima - 1261
14. Ray Sefo - 1251
15. Gegard Mousasi - 1179
16. Might Mo - 1172
17. Taiei Kin - 1023
18. Freddy Kemayo - 809
19. Chalid "Die Faust" - 687
20. Hong-man Choi - 643
Others: 115
Total number of votes: 76,326

As K-1 Event Producer Sadaharu Tanikawa noted, K-1 would like to prioritize the fans' selection as closely as possible. Therefore the inclusion of their first and second choices, Alister and Melvin was a simple decision. However, as Mirko is now contracted to the UFC, he could not enter the event. Fan choice number 4, Glaube was then confirmed, rounding out the 3 fighters initially believed would make up the card. According to the fans vote, Catalin Morosanu was actually number 5 with 8093 votes and Musashi was 6th with 8084 votes. It really was very close between them. After discussing things with our sponsors and taking into considering everything Musashi has achieved in the past, and the fact that this will be his final opportunity before retiring, we decided to give him the chance he had begged for, despite the fact that some out there may disagree with this decision.
Crocop -- if only!

Then again, would also have been interesting if Mousasi was top-4.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Well **** you then! :D

What's the reason? As I said I haven't followed for quite some time, but that guy seems like a grade A De Ouche to me.

He's definitely an ass but his fights are almost always pretty exciting so I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go far, as long as he doesn't win. He's aggressive as hell so his fights pretty much always end with either him or the other guy getting KO'd. He destroyed Aerts last year and then his fight with Zimmerman was one of the best I've ever seen. Bonjasky was pretty much schooling him though before he went nuts on him.

I don't know a lot about some of the newer guys in this tourney either. Ghita is the one we were talking about earlier who just won that tournament by leg-kicking the crap out of everyone in record time, but I didn't see the other qualifiers (Samedov and Singh). Kyotaro is their "heavyweight champ" which he got by winning a four-man tourney earlier this year after they stripped the title from Hari for his antics. I don't really know how good he is, he's definitely, uh, flamboyant though.

After that he beat Gokhan Saki in the final, though Saki had had a much harder opening round fight and was obviously pretty worn out. His opening round fight with Karaev should be interesting though, Karaev is pretty wild so he could get caught just as easily as Manhoef did, and I'm sure K-1 would love to have a Japanese guy into the final.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
but I didn't see the other qualifiers (Samedov and Singh).
I caught Singh's GP win. While ee has a great, lanky body for the sport, his technique is very poor at generating power. His punches and kick just don't a lot of pop or snap in them. His GP win was anything but impressive: his first round opponent, IIRC, was a tae kwon do stylist who had never won in K-1 and had no business being in the tournament to begin with; his second round opponent went through a first round war where he took a ton of damage from leg kicks; and in the finals, he drew Taiei Kin, who similarly went through two wars and is 39 to boot. He was running on fumes by the time of the finals. He's not quick enough to avoid the bombs of the big guns in the tournament and he doesn't have the power to stand and trade, so I think Teixeira will have no problem knocking him out.

Kyotaro is their "heavyweight champ" which he got by winning a four-man tourney earlier this year after they stripped the title from Hari for his antics. I don't really know how good he is, he's definitely, uh, flamboyant though.
I only watched him in the HW tournament, but from what I saw, he's technically very sound, great quick footwork, and defends well. Though, I still have no idea how to ducking counter took out Melvin. Stylistically he was a bad matchup for Saki, who isn't exactly Mr. Mobility. In the tournament, I've gotta think he's an underdog. Karaev's got decent speed and his reach, which is something that neither Saki nor Manhoef have much of, should give him problems.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'm not a huge fan of K-1. I don't know why, really. I'm not a huge boxing fan either, and boxing is much more technically sound than K-1. I just don't find it anywhere close to as interesting as world-class MMA.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of K-1. I don't know why, really. I'm not a huge boxing fan either, and boxing is much more technically sound than K-1. I just don't find it anywhere close to as interesting as world-class MMA.

I don't think it's fair to say K-1 is less technically sound than boxing, it's just a different sport. It does *look* a lot wilder but you have to consider the effect that adding kicks has. You just can't be as defensive because if you try to shell up you're just going to get brutalized at range by them. Even if you're using your arms to protect your body, kicks are so much more powerful than punches that they'll just go right through (or break your arm outright, which has happened at least once to LeBanner). As a result guys have to be much more aggressive because they'll get punished if they aren't pressing their opponents... which leaves them much more open to looking sloppy or getting KO'd.

Anyways I just really got into K-1 myself within the last year or two... it helps that last year's WGP was so good minus Hari's idiocy in the final. The fights tend to be pretty exciting and the production has that epic feel to it that I love about Japanese MMA as well. I still prefer MMA because I love the ground game, but K-1 has a lot going for it.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I don't think it's fair to say K-1 is less technically sound than boxing, it's just a different sport. It does *look* a lot wilder but you have to consider the effect that adding kicks has. You just can't be as defensive because if you try to shell up you're just going to get brutalized at range by them. Even if you're using your arms to protect your body, kicks are so much more powerful than punches that they'll just go right through (or break your arm outright, which has happened at least once to LeBanner). As a result guys have to be much more aggressive because they'll get punished if they aren't pressing their opponents... which leaves them much more open to looking sloppy or getting KO'd.

Anyways I just really got into K-1 myself within the last year or two... it helps that last year's WGP was so good minus Hari's idiocy in the final. The fights tend to be pretty exciting and the production has that epic feel to it that I love about Japanese MMA as well. I still prefer MMA because I love the ground game, but K-1 has a lot going for it.
I agree with this. I wasn't able to get into K-1 in previous years because it was never shown, even with tape delay, on any TV here in the states, let alone a major network like HDNet. Even though he's an ass in the broadcast booth, I do have to tip my hat to Guy Mezger for making that happen.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Even though he's an ass in the broadcast booth, I do have to tip my hat to Guy Mezger for making that happen.

Don't tip your hat to him, he pats himself on the back enough for it. I swear to god, every broadcast that idiot does is 50% self-promotion.

I really like what he has done from a business side of things, I just wish he would exit the broadcast booth.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Don't tip your hat to him, he pats himself on the back enough for it. I swear to god, every broadcast that idiot does is 50% self-promotion.

I really like what he has done from a business side of things, I just wish he would exit the broadcast booth.
Sure loves to tie his expertise--which I'm not dogging, since I know it exists--into past glory. A true and true pedant if I've ever seen one. No wonder Tito has such an easy time feuding with him.

4thliner*

I am. K-1 is awsome. It is better than a lot of MMA matches, and I LOVE MMA. Anyne who likes stand up striking need look no further as K-1 has the best strikers in the world. Clutching and grapping to slow things down and to save your ass is not allowed as they will not bring you back if you do so, especilay if you are a new blood breaking in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->