GDT: Slovenia - Slovakia

member 305909

If Slovenia loses they are certain to relegate. They just aren't a top-tier level team.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Slovaks pretty much dominating so far.

Really hoping they somehow drop at least a point to help out Latvia but probably not.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This TSN announcer has been ripping on Slovenia all tournament, bro, they aren't that good, they shouldn't even be in the top division, give them a break.

Americans are scratching their heads, thinking it is an intra-squad game
Not really. Luka Doncic is one of the most high profile athletes in the United States and put Slovenia on the map.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Slovakia needs a regulation win against Slovenia (which looks likely as they are up 1-0 and Slovenia has struggled to score in the tournament), Switzerland to beat Latvia in regulation and then Slovakia to beat Norway in regulation. All of those events seem pretty likely in isolation, putting them all together makes it a bit trickier, so I am not sure how exactly I'd handicap all of it happening.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Slovakia needs a regulation win against Slovenia (which looks likely as they are up 1-0 and Slovenia has struggled to score in the tournament), Switzerland to beat Latvia in regulation and then Slovakia to beat Norway in regulation. All of those events seem pretty likely in isolation, putting them all together makes it a bit trickier, so I am not sure how exactly I'd handicap all of it happening.

Regardless of the odds, as I said in the other thread, Latvia simply deserves the play-offs more, don't they? It's gonna be sad if they don't get there as the tournament co-hosts, and this erratic Slovak team overtakes them in the last second.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
These are all the games I would put on my betting ticket. And years ago when I used to bet, usually one game spoiled such bet.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Regardless of the odds, as I said in the other thread, Latvia simply deserves the play-offs more, don't they? It's gonna be sad if they don't get there as the tournament co-hosts, and this erratic Slovak team overtakes them in the last second.
Well depending on what happens later today in the Switzerland-Czechia game, there is a chance that Switzerland may already have locked up the top pick in Group (any win, regulation or OT would guarantee it as then Canada and Czechia could only tie them at 17 points and they'd have tiebreaker over both). If that happens, Switzerland may not be too motivated in the last game against Latvia.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
I am not sure. SVK has played decent games against all opponents except KAZ. But if LAT will get some point from SUI, then I will agree with you.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
that 3-on-1 wasted opportunity for Slovakia sums up our tournament
Exactly. I have not seen well executed 2 on 1, 3 on 1 or 3 on 2 rush yet. And Panik is only one who was able to convert opportunity alone against goalie. 10 goals in 5 games :-(

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well depending on what happens later today in the Switzerland-Czechia game, there is a chance that Switzerland may already have locked up the top pick in Group (any win, regulation or OT would guarantee it as then Canada and Czechia could only tie them at 17 points and they'd have tiebreaker over both). If that happens, Switzerland may not be too motivated in the last game against Latvia.

Of course. Which is why, if I was a better (I'm not), I'd consider it more probable for Latvia to advance.

Slovakia is totally lame in this Slovenia game, too, and they simply don't deserve to move on. Latvia's 7-0 win over Kazakhstan speaks a clear language, as to who's the more deserving team. They also beat one of the strong teams (Czechs), and Slovaks haven't. Slovakia's win over Latvia can be considered lucky.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Maybe I need to flip my mindset from being mildly puzzled why Slovaks aren't scoring more to legitimately believing Slovenia has a chance to get points here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad