Slovan Bratislava 2013/2014 season talk

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
Faterson, this is belasa or blue like sky.

5774.jpg

and this colour has nothing to do with HC Slovan tradition. Its different colour and if you dont see it, your problem, not my.. Last comment to colours, sorry I don't have time and mood for these kind of debates..

And that's exactly the big difference: we already are disappointed. I'd be for signing another player of Marcinko's calibre instead.

Calibre? He is just another average defensive minded center, he played decent in Extraliga thats what I call "calibre"..

Last edited:

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Faterson, this is belasa or blue like sky.

Calibre? He is just another average defensive minded center, he played decent in Extraliga thats what I call "calibre"..

This is what crossed my mind in literally 60 seconds as replacements...no Canadians, Finns, Russians, Czechs or Swedes are needed to make Slovan competitive. Keep Slovan slovakian and people will love them.

F: Spirko, Kolnik, Sejna, Nagy, Tybor, Marcinko, Cehlarik
D: Podhradsky, Granak, Mezei, Daloga, Valach, Cajkovsky
G: Laco or Hudacek

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
This is what crossed my mind in literally 60 seconds as replacements...no Canadians, Finns, Russians, Czechs or Swedes are needed to make Slovan competitive. Keep Slovan slovakian and people will love them.

F: Spirko, Kolnik, Sejna, Nagy, Tybor, Marcinko, Cehlarik
D: Podhradsky, Granak, Mezei, Daloga, Valach, Cajkovsky
G: Laco or Hudacek

There are good Slovak players which are UFA's or RFA's (Meszaros, Handzus, Gaborik, Tatar, Marincin, Panik, Viedensky, Baranka, Ruzicka, Zaborsky, Kudroc, Hascak, Podhradsky, Granak, Cingel, Starosta..) so yeah we can create solid team from Slovak players but everything depends on money.. and based on what I heard our budged will be same as in this season.. So it is quite reasonable to sign few decent and younger AHL players.. Key aspect is that they are cheaper then most good players which are in Europe..

Comparison..
- Cheechoo's last AHL wage was 105 000 USD
- Slovan lowest contract in first KHL season was 117 000 eur (162 000 USD)

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
There are good Slovak players which are UFA's or RFA's (Meszaros, Handzus, Gaborik, Tatar, Marincin, Panik, Viedensky, Baranka, Ruzicka, Zaborsky, Kudroc, Hascak, Podhradsky, Granak, Cingel, Starosta..) so yeah we can create solid team from Slovak players but everything depends on money.. and based on what I heard our budged will be same as in this season.. So it is quite reasonable to sign few decent and younger AHL players.. Key aspect is that they are cheaper then most good players which are in Europe..

Comparison..

Meszaros, Handzus, Gaborik, Tatar, Marincin, Panik, Viedensky No way, won't happen. Ever.
Baranka, Ruzicka, Zaborsky, Kudroc, Hascak, Podhradsky, Granak, Cingel, Starosta Worth a try to at least talk to them

Comparison..

You are mixing apples with pears, there is no way Cheechoo has the same salary in Zagreb as in Oklahoma City

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
I have an information from one person from Slovan, that Slovan is in talks with two tough canadians. But i cant imagine these type of players in Slovan. If somebody want the names, lets write me private message :)

Last edited:

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Meszaros, Handzus, Gaborik, Tatar, Marincin, Panik, Viedensky No way, won't happen. Ever.
Baranka, Ruzicka, Zaborsky, Kudroc, Hascak, Podhradsky, Granak, Cingel, Starosta Worth a try to at least talk to them

Comparison..

You are mixing apples with pears, there is no way Cheechoo has the same salary in Zagreb as in Oklahoma City

Cheechoo have the highest salary in zagreb, about 200.000€

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava

Comparison..

You need to learn how to read between the lines .. first of all key point is that good players in AHL are cheaper then most of players you mentioned.

If team have money we can talk about Granak, Kolnik, Sejna (they were too expensive for Slovan in last season) or Gaborik etc but based on my information our budget will be similiar like in this season so it's better to pay 200 000 euro to player from AHL (someone like Cheechoo) than 120 000 Eur Matousek or similar oaf.

Do you understand my point now or do you need images??

Last edited:

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
You need to learn how to read between the lines .. first of all key point is that good players in AHL are cheaper then most of players you mentioned.

If team have money we can talk about Granak, Kolnik, Sejna (they were too expensive for Slovan in last season) or Gaborik etc but based on my information our budget will be similiar like in this season so it's better to pay 200 000 euro to player from AHL (someone like Cheechoo) than 120 000 Eur Matousek or similar oaf.

Do you understand my point now or do you need images??

OK easy there man, don't get so offensive to a fellow belasy fan ;)
I know what you mean exactly, but what is the guarantee that the AHL player will adapt to european hockey perfectly? There is many examples of players who did not make the transition. I think the best compromise is to look at ex NHL/AHL-ers who have experience with european hockey, so the team and the player know what to expect from one another :naughty:

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
I know what you mean exactly, but what is the guarantee that the AHL player will adapt to european hockey perfectly? There is many examples of players who did not make the transition. I think the best compromise is to look at ex NHL/AHL-ers who have experience with european hockey, so the team and the player know what to expect from one another

Well, maybe, but try to answer me one question..

It is just my feeling or when comes to adaptation to something it is mostly problem of European players who can't adapt to NHL (AHL) ring, physical style of play etc..?

Olympic games in Sochi was played on big ice and Canada was first, USA was fourth..

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Well, maybe, but try to answer me one question..

It is just my feeling or when comes to adaptation to something it is mostly problem of European players who can't adapt to NHL (AHL) ring, physical style of play etc..?

Olympic games in Sochi was played on big ice and Canada was first, USA was fourth..

This might be my own personal opinion but I will answer. In the last couple of years I am involved in North American hockey incomparably more than in European hockey, the ratio is about 80:20%.
The Sochi was about quality of players and not the other factors. In the last decade or so USA have invested a huge amount of money and energy into development of young players, more than Canada IMO, and the result is a very powerful group of intelligent players who will be only better with progressing time. The quality and amount of Canadian players is not up to any discussion, this is a no-brainer.
The adaptation of European players to American hockey is a case-by-case situation, where some players make it and some don't. Young Swedes are the best at it, but we see also individual examples from other weaker countries like Granlund, Girgensons, Hertl, or Diaz.
To sum it up: it is all about the player's IQ, hard work, and mentality (talent is 1% of success). The factors you named are often used as excuses for the unsuccessful ones, because the successful ones never complain about the differences.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
This might be my own personal opinion but I will answer. In the last couple of years I am involved in North American hockey incomparably more than in European hockey, the ratio is about 80:20%.
The Sochi was about quality of players and not the other factors. In the last decade or so USA have invested a huge amount of money and energy into development of young players, more than Canada IMO, and the result is a very powerful group of intelligent players who will be only better with progressing time. The quality and amount of Canadian players is not up to any discussion, this is a no-brainer.
The adaptation of European players to American hockey is a case-by-case situation, where some players make it and some don't. Young Swedes are the best at it, but we see also individual examples from other weaker countries like Granlund, Girgensons, Hertl, or Diaz.
To sum it up: it is all about the player's IQ, hard work, and mentality (talent is 1% of success). The factors you named are often used as excuses for the unsuccessful ones, because the successful ones never complain about the differences.

I mostly agree with you at this point.

To Sochi: yes that's true, but.. Our media's was moaning about if and how soon our NHL players can adopt to play on big ring since the nomination was annouced..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I read on a Finnish sports site that Slovan has financial issues, which they've admitted to RIA Novost. Apparently due to missing the playoffs, payment of players salaries is late ("only" 25 days).

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
What a difference a year can make...

This time last year Slovan made the playoffs in their first KHL season and although they were one of the smaller budget clubs they also seemed to be just about the only one that was self sufficient. This year they struggled on the ice and now despite playing to capacity almost every game and keeping the payroll in check (at least compared to most other clubs) are short on money.

At times the KHL is hard to figure out. Spartak wasn't worth saving because they played in front of small crowds in an old rundown rink but the league is actively recruiting Valerenga, a club that plays in front of small crowds in an old rundown rink. Per reports the KHL is willing to spend tens of millions propping up Valerenga while at the sametime Slovan can't afford to pay its players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What a difference a year can make...

This time last year Slovan made the playoffs in their first KHL season and although they were one of the smaller budget clubs they also seemed to be just about the only one that was self sufficient. This year they struggled on the ice and now despite playing to capacity almost every game and keeping the payroll in check (at least compared to most other clubs) are short on money.

At times the KHL is hard to figure out. Spartak wasn't worth saving because they played in front of small crowds in an old rundown rink but the league is actively recruiting Valerenga, a club that plays in front of small crowds in an old rundown rink. Per reports the KHL is willing to spend tens of millions propping up Valerenga while at the sametime Slovan can't afford to pay its players.

Their ticket prices were ridiculously high, they had to auction them off at one point. The only reason they made profit last season. IIRC, ticket sales weren't on the same level this season.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
ticket sales weren't on the same level this season.

Ticket sales was on the same level and almost all games was sold out. Yeah ticket prices was higher but there was also higher expenses for wages and insurance for NHL players in last season. Problem is that part of the money from sponsor package for this season was linked to promotion to the playoff.

note: and that's huge mistake from management...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad