Slovakia: Slovak National Team- The start over again edition

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
and dont know what to do with Satan, Nagy, Bartecko or Zednik
I would say Zednik and Nagy are not candidates for NT anymore. Nagy had terrible season, did Zednik play this season??

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
as of mobile defenseman...we played tight defensive style in which you need this "pylons" to clear the zone...so Jurcina, Kudroc, Chara are locks in Sochi...

pretty much that cost Slovakia the gold medal game, by 2nd period the defence was gassed and unable to make break out pass or even clear the zone, same in QF game vs Canada, luckily Canada didn´t capitalize on that

Chara is head and shoulders above everyone, he can compensate his lack of agility with his reach, hockey IQ and positional play
Jurcina, Sersen, Mihalik, Valabik, Stehlik or Kudroc don´t have any of that. Most of time they take stupid penalties anyway.

Hrivik...his name i heard 1st time when i read that he was called to train with NYR...

If you happen to saw him in Connecticut as I did we wouldn´t be having this conversation

Handzus...if you think his speed is major problem then ok...get him fast wingers and problem solved...he will feed them with nice passes...Tatar and Bartovic as our version of TGV and we are done...one great line...then if we have free mikus then let him be center between Hossa and Kopecky...they have enough experience to pull him with them

Handzus is declining pretty fast, also injuries are taking their tolls unfortunately
Bartovic is good depth guy but in Sochi he will be 33 years old
Mikus is maybe 1st line center in Slovak Extraliga along ageing Pallfy but don´t fool yourself that line would be terrible to watch against Russia or USA

on Hawks Hossa had Kopecky on left wing centered by Toews or Sharp

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
and dont know what to do with Satan, Nagy, Bartecko or Zednik

please...dont embarrass yourself...Visnovsky retired from NT...Mikus both in D and O?

With all respect to you, i think, you embarrassed YOUR SELF. :sarcasm:

Do you know, we have forward Juraj Mikúš, D Juraj Mikuš and lets say also another D Peter Mikuš?

Nagy, Bartecko or Zednik... Do you follow Slovak ice hockey?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
In 2014 I think the Slovak team will be:

Gaborik-Mikus-Hossa
Kopecky-Bliznak-Hossa (81)
Tatar-Handzus-Radivojevic
Panik-Marcinko-Bartovic
Ruzicka

Meszaros-Chara
Sekera-Baranka
Granak-Jurcina
Marincin

Halak
Janus
Laco/Budaj

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I really wish Vladimír Mihálik and Boris Valábik would get their game together. Two MASSIVE defenceman that could be good if they focused on foot speed and not be so freaking slow.

The big ice kills them because they aren't very mobile but hell, watch videos of Chara. He doesn't seem to have any problems.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I really wish Vladimír Mihálik and Boris Valábik would get their game together. Two MASSIVE defenceman that could be good if they focused on foot speed and not be so freaking slow.

The big ice kills them because they aren't very mobile but hell, watch videos of Chara. He doesn't seem to have any problems.

Valabik has struggled with injuries the past few seasons. I believe he only played 3 games this year.

How was Mihalik this past season? Where do you expect him to play next year?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
How was Mihalik this past season? Where do you expect him to play next year?

He started out with Poprad Lev but ended up with Timrå IK of the SEL. Just a few assists here and there. Nothing to write home about..

I don't know his contract situation..

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

How about Valach?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Valach? hohohoooo, that guy must really turn his game and play some years in better leagues. :amazed:

If, they we should look to Michal Cajkovsky.

Yeah true, was wondering if he was at least solid defensively, his skating didn't look horrible in the WJC. If Cajkovsky is getting considered one would think Marincin should have a decent shot he would be a two year pro and might have some NHL games under his belt.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
I would cry if Juraj Valach makes the National Team. He makes Mihalik look like Marian Gaborik skating wise.

It was painful watching him this year for Slavia.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Hey guys, what do you think about roster for the 2012 Deutschland Cup? Considering Slovak ice hockey federation announced, it will be without NHL players.

Šatan - Bližňák - Hudáček
Záborský - Mikúš - Miklík
Hossa - Surový - Rúžička
Haščák - Šťastný - Daňo
Majdán, Lušňák

Graňák - Kudroč
Starosta - Baranka
Sersen - Mikuš
Štajnoch - Vydarený

Staňa
Janus
Hamerlík

The questionmarks are:
Starosta - He's injured now :(.
Graňák - I don't know why, but he didn't play last game for Dynamo Moscow :help:.
Daňo - It's possible, he will join U20 team in Extraliga. It looks like Bokroš needs him so much ;).

Cibák, Mezei, Špirko, Tabáček, Švárny, Slovák... - Are they good enough for NT :sarcasm:??
Nagy, Podhradský - I'm not sure what's their status considering their troubles with NT last season :p:.
Radivojevič - What the hell happened to the captain of Spartak Moscow :cry:?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hey guys, what do you think about roster for the 2012 Deutschland Cup? Considering Slovak ice hockey federation announced, it will be without NHL players.

Å atan - Bližňák - Hudáček
Záborský - Mikúš - Miklík
Hossa - Surový - Rúžička
HaÅ¡čák - Å ťastný - Daňo
Majdán, LuÅ¡ňák

Graňák - Kudroč
Starosta - Baranka
Sersen - Mikuš
Štajnoch - Vydarený

Staňa
Janus
Hamerlík

The questionmarks are:
Starosta - He's injured now :(.
Graňák - I don't know why, but he didn't play last game for Dynamo Moscow :help:.
Daňo - It's possible, he will join U20 team in Extraliga. It looks like BokroÅ¡ needs him so much ;).

Cibák, Mezei, Å pirko, Tabáček, Å várny, Slovák... - Are they good enough for NT :sarcasm:??
Nagy, Podhradský - I'm not sure what's their status considering their troubles with NT last season :p:.
Radivojevič - What the hell happened to the captain of Spartak Moscow :cry:?

Hudacek is out of form. better someone from SLovak Extraliga.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Well based on an interview with Otto Sýkora from Pravda earlier this week:
- they´re going to call up mainly experienced players and they will build on the players from last years´ IHWC, even though some of the are out of form (they´re hoping it might help them)
- just 2 or 3 rookies, they will try out more new players later in December and February (one of the rookies is pretty much confirmed - Janus, I guess other candidates might be Šťastný or Majdan. Sýkora also mentions Marcinko)
- no NHLers or Šatan
- no Staňa or LašÃ¡k either, so I guess that means asides from Janus we will have Hamerlík and Hudáček as goalies

Just two things about this: a) I really don´t like this part about calling up players just because they were in Helsinki 2012 and not based on their current achievements. :( Especially if you consider that while the silver was a team achievements, there still were individual players without whom they would never have achieved it and those won´t be playing at the DC (NHLers, Šatan, Laco etc.). I´m hoping that nomination based on solely on past achievements won´t become a regular thing.
b) Wouldn´t it make more sense to try out the rookies early in the season and to have the already more experienced team later on towards the IHWC? Okay, Slovan´s players won´t be available in December due to European Trophy, but while I do not know exactly which 10 Slovan players Sýkora and Vujtek consider potential NT candidates from the ones I can imagine around a half actually would be either NT rookies or young players.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Well based on an interview with Otto Sýkora from Pravda earlier this week:
- they´re going to call up mainly experienced players and they will build on the players from last years´ IHWC, even though some of the are out of form (they´re hoping it might help them)
- just 2 or 3 rookies, they will try out more new players later in December and February (one of the rookies is pretty much confirmed - Janus, I guess other candidates might be Å ťastný or Majdan. Sýkora also mentions Marcinko)
- no NHLers or Å atan
- no Staňa or Lašák either, so I guess that means asides from Janus we will have Hamerlík and Hudáček as goalies

Just two things about this: a) I really don´t like this part about calling up players just because they were in Helsinki 2012 and not based on their current achievements. :( Especially if you consider that while the silver was a team achievements, there still were individual players without whom they would never have achieved it and those won´t be playing at the DC (NHLers, Šatan, Laco etc.). I´m hoping that nomination based on solely on past achievements won´t become a regular thing.
b) Wouldn´t it make more sense to try out the rookies early in the season and to have the already more experienced team later on towards the IHWC? Okay, Slovan´s players won´t be available in December due to European Trophy, but while I do not know exactly which 10 Slovan players Sýkora and Vujtek consider potential NT candidates from the ones I can imagine around a half actually would be either NT rookies or young players.

I think you shouldn't worry about the nomination based on past achievements. This is just first tourney through the season. On the other side Vujtek isn't worrying to take a player with average stats, if he's confident with him (e.g. Andrej Å ťastný). That's what I like about Vujtek's decisions.

Anyway SZĽH announced the roster for 2012 Deutschland Cup:
http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clanok/hokej-v-nominacii-do-mnichova-aj-13-vicemajstrov-sveta-suhrn

Goalies: Peter Hamerlík (Oceláři Třinec/ČR), Jaroslav Janus (Slovan Bratislava)

Defenders: Ivan Baranka (Salavat Julajev Ufa/Rus., 64/3), Marek Ďaloga (HC Pardubice/ČR, 6/0), Kristián Kudroč (Novosibirsk/Rus., 30/2), Juraj MikuÅ¡ (HC Lev Praha/ČR, 3/0), Michal Sersen (HC Lev Praha/ČR, 49/2), Tomáš Slovák (HC Plzeň/ČR, 17/0), Martin Å tajnoch (Slovan Bratislava, 3/0), Richard Stehlík (MODO Hockey/Å véd., 79/2)

Forwards: Mário Bližňák (Slovan Bratislava, 25/1), Marcel HaÅ¡čák (HC KoÅ¡ice, 26/2), Marcel Hossa (HC Lev Praha/ČR, 101/24), Marek Hovorka (Sparta Praha/ČR, 16/1), Libor Hudáček (Slovan Bratislava, 15/3), Michel Miklík (Slovan Bratislava, 31/6), Juraj Mikúš (Lev Praha/ČR, 63/14), Branko Radivojevič (Spartak Moskva/Rus., 97/16), Rastislav Å pirko (Avtomobilist Jekaterinburg/Rus., 22/2), Andrej Å ťastný (Slovan Bratislava, 0/0), Tomáš Záborský (Avangard Omsk/Rus., 8/3), Peter GalamboÅ¡ (Bilí Tigři Liberec/ČR, 1/0), Tomáš Marcinko (HC KoÅ¡ice, 4/0), Peter Ölvecký (Slovan Bratislava, 9/0)

BTW I hope young guys such as Hudáček Július, Majdán, LuÅ¡ňák, Tybor, Vandas etc. will get a chance at the Arosa Challenge in december ;)

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Tomáš Záborský announced, he won't join the NT at the 2012 Deutschland Cup due to "pain of the shoulder" :shakehead. I suspected it. A few days ago I read an interview with him at sportbox.ru. Journalist knew the management of Avangard doesn't want to let him go and asked him. His answer was: "No comment". Now we know the answer. I'm not sure, I want to see him in NT anymore :shakehead.
An attitude of russian KHL clubs make me angry :rant:. They have no problem to release Russian top players for Euro Hockey Tour, but they make a pressure on Slovak players. That's a shame.

On the better note I'm pretty happy Radoslav Tybor replaces Záborský :nod:. Even Milan Hruška replaces Tomáš Slovák.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Tomáš Záborský announced, he won't join the NT at the 2012 Deutschland Cup due to "pain of the shoulder" :shakehead. I suspected it. A few days ago I read an interview with him at sportbox.ru. Journalist knew the management of Avangard doesn't want to let him go and asked him. His answer was: "No comment". Now we know the answer. I'm not sure, I want to see him in NT anymore :shakehead.
An attitude of russian KHL clubs make me angry :rant:. They have no problem to release Russian top players for Euro Hockey Tour, but they make a pressure on Slovak players. That's a shame.

On the better note I'm pretty happy Radoslav Tybor replaces Záborský :nod:. Even Milan Hruška replaces Tomáš Slovák.

Isn't this the reason that there are so many Slovak and Czech players playing on the KHL teams outside of Russia? Look at all the Czech's and Slovak's on Bratislava, Prague, Donetsk and Minsk. I know Russian teams are limited to the amount of imports they can have, but I'm sure most of them deliberately try and sign outside of Russia.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
They have no problem to release Russian top players for Euro Hockey Tour, but they make a pressure on Slovak players. That's a shame.

I think, its the same with Russian players. There was some idea few years ago, that players from KHL will be excluded from in-season national competitions.
The difference is, Russian players WANT to play for national team. Im sure, if Zaborsky really wanted to be in Germany, he will be there.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
^This.
I'm really dissapointed from Zaborsky's actions. Again. Last year he rejected Vujtek's invitations three times. I would ban him from NT forever. Shame, it's impossible with depth of NT.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
did somebody here watch d-cup? where would be Mikuš ranked among slovak Dmen at this tournament?

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The Slovaks have always been my second team in international tournaments, how are the next couple years of juniors looking? Anybody that could take that elusive 1st line centre roll?

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
I'm amazed at how well the goalies have been doing this year in Europe.

Stana, Janus and Hudacek are all the class above in Europe so far, but then you also have the Halak factor, even though he's only played one game so far. I'm interested what role Laco might have, considering his great performances last year.

Does this means that we no longer have to call on Hamerlik? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad