News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He does have the right to work. In his home country where he hasn't gotten deported from for a crime. No business going back to NHL if you ask me.
Well as long as he get cleared (I have no pulse on the legalities of this case) he should befree to work in the NHL. Free Market. I'm not really into the social pressures of this going be blocked from playing at the highest of levels.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s no way any team is going to take on this as a PR disaster.

It was questionable a couple years ago, but so much has even changed since then.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Well as long as he get cleared (I have no pulse on the legalities of this case) he should befree to work in the NHL. Free Market. I'm not really into the social pressures of this going be blocked from playing at the highest of levels.

all charges were dismissed

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
"Old" videos. this way, people will be able to look at him and judge what you think about him, what's it like to potentially "have him back". Yes.. No... the choice is yours.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
On lets be very clear on this... abuse is terrible. Period. But humans and animals are not equal... if I'm driving down a highway and I hit a dog the merciful thing to do is put it out if its misery. If it's your child I hit I'd bet you'd disagree that would be the best option. It's ridiculous to compare the two. Humans are humans. Animals are food.
E43C541D-6CDB-4537-AF4B-4922B523B9EC.jpeg

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Regardless of the team signing him it’s going to be a bad PR move. People can make mistakes, the question becomes how you learn from those mistakes. This is what I would want to know:

• Has he gone to domestic abuse classes and does he continue to seek help regarding anger management;
  • Is he willing to address the media, the team regarding the incident;
  • Can we terminate the contract with no impact to our cap situation should there be conduct detrimental to the team
If he is willing to go along with those plus perhaps some sort of mandated counseling and charity work I would be fine giving him a shot with the leafs. 1 or 2 year show me.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Austin Watson had a very publicized episode where he assaulted his girlfriend, as has Varlamov. It’d be very hypocritical for the NHL to essentially do next to nothing to them while trying to make an example of Voynov.

Watson: Predators' Austin Watson got 3 months probation for domestic assault case | CBC News
Varlamov: Semyon Varlamov arrested
People equating Watson and Voynov are wrong. [MOD]

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/legal-look-disturbing-details-emerge-of-voynov-s-assault-on-wife-1.160584
Watson was drunk, pushed his girlfriend, left a red mark on her chest. Voynov left his wife with a cut above her eye that required 8 stitches. He struck her in the face with his fist, pushed her to the ground multiple times and kicked her repeatedly. He threw her into a flat screen TV. He left her bruised and bloodied all over her body, including on her neck. There was blood all over their bedroom, on the carpet, and on the walls. In addition, there was evidence that suggested prior and repeated domestic violence.

What Dean Lombardi did at the time was frankly despicable too. He didn't even abide by the NHL's decision of an indefinite suspension, and Voynov was a regular figure around the Kings' practice facility. Voynov even skated with his teammates at one point, which the NHL fined the Kings $100,000 for. Why? Because Lombardi thought it would be good for Voynov to be around his teammates. Lombardi also said this, which comes off as completely tone deaf for who the real victim in all of this is.

''Quite frankly, I'm beyond caring about reinstatement or cap relief,'' Lombardi said. ''My biggest concern is that if he is charged with a felony, this one incident could jeopardize Slava's entire career.''

Oh, but just because the wife asked that Voynov not be charged, that means that it's okay, right? That because they're still together, all is forgiven?

Last edited by a moderator:

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
all charges were dismissed

He was convicted and went to jail, which is generally rare for someone who has the money for a good lawyer. The charges were dismissed afterwards probably to expunge it from his record so he could travel to Canada and other places.

It won’t affect what punishment the league should dole out and whatever PR consequences teams are willing to accept or want to avoid.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
With the current movements going on and multiple high profile cases involving abuse of women, I don't see the NHL touching this with a 10 foot pole.

I'm not saying he's guilty, I'm saying it's not worth it from a PR perspective. The league is deeper than ever in terms of talent, they can let this one go.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well rest assured everyone.
A team will sign him.
He might have to lower his price to somewhere between 2-3.5M for his first year back (assuming he comes back with previous contract voided) and if he goes that low a ton of teams will go for him because money talks.

I can sleep well knowing my Oilers won't sign him. Why?
  • Who on earth choses to come to Edmonton?
  • We'd have to trade one of our top 4 d-men away for futures to fit him under the cap.
  • We've got REALLLLY nasty luck with Russians and I'm hoping all those Russian's agents have figured that out by now. Except Kos. He's awesome. *knock on wood*
  • We've honestly had enough wife drama in Edmonton already. Wayne's wife wanted live and work closer to Hollywood, Pronger thingy you probably don't want to know about... yeahhh.... we need to rebuild the Edmonton Oilers wives association. After it's been rebuilt into a strong and proud organization we shall welcome Slava and his lovely wife with open arms!

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Well rest assured everyone.
A team will sign him.
He might have to lower his price to somewhere between 2-3.5M for his first year back (assuming he comes back with previous contract voided) and if he goes that low a ton of teams will go for him because money talks.

I can sleep well knowing my Oilers won't sign him. Why?
  • Who on earth choses to come to Edmonton?
  • We'd have to trade one of our top 4 d-men away for futures to fit him under the cap.
  • We've got REALLLLY nasty luck with Russians and I'm hoping all those Russian's agents have figured that out by now. Except Kos. He's awesome. *knock on wood*
  • We've honestly had enough wife drama in Edmonton already. Wayne's wife wanted live and work closer to Hollywood, Pronger thingy you probably don't want to know about... yeahhh.... we need to rebuild the Edmonton Oilers wives association. After it's been rebuilt into a strong and proud organization we shall welcome Slava and his lovely wife with open arms!
You Guys dont even have 4 top 4 Ds

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You Guys dont even have 4 top 4 Ds

Yeah we do. We've got 1 #2 d-man in Klefbom.
2 #3-4 d-men in Nurse and Sekera.
Larsson with healthy 100% Klefbom looks like a fringe #2 but when Klefbom isn't around some people could argue that he looks like a #6. Without Klefbom he plays like a totally different player. Makes the dumbest decisions which often instantly cost the team. It's beyond mind blowing.
Sad thing is that none of those 3 LHD play well on the right side. Sekera had extensive experience playing on the right side before coming to Edmonton, but he's worlds better playing on the left.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
As a Canuck fan that desperately wants to see the right side of our D be significantly bolstered, I have this to say:

I have no interest in Slava Voynov and if it was up to me, he’d be in Guantanamo Bay.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Oh please. The guy can still play, even when he was in the KHL. He can definitely slide into Anaheim’s top 4. I’m able to give people a second chance, why not you?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He was convicted and went to jail, which is generally rare for someone who has the money for a good lawyer. The charges were dismissed afterwards probably to expunge it from his record so he could travel to Canada and other places.

It won’t affect what punishment the league should dole out and whatever PR consequences teams are willing to accept or want to avoid.

I do not believe he was ever convicted. He was charged and brought jail on charges. That's where he spent the time in jail.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Oh please. The guy can still play, even when he was in the KHL. He can definitely slide into Anaheim’s top 4. I’m able to give people a second chance, why not you?

I assume the answer is something like "Not everyone is like you?".

He pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges for injury to spouse, is that a conviction? I need a lawyer in here to tell me lol.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
replacing russell or benning with voynov would be exponential.

Mac t killed someone and he is still part of the org

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I assume the answer is something like "Not everyone is like you?".

He pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges for injury to spouse, is that a conviction? I need a lawyer in here to tell me lol.

Yes. It’s just not an admission of guilt.

Reactions: tfong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad