News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The idea of the judiciary system is to avoid conflict of interest and opinion based consequences.

If he has passed through the system we should respect that. If we don’t agree, then the fight needs to be to change the judiciary system; not dump a pile on people who passed through it.

Also, when the NHL let’s him play again(it’s going to happen), if no team offers him something, that will also be fair. But we all know that a few teams ARE going to offer him at LEAST a tryout.

So he is only time away from playing again.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So now that you see the facts are he only got a misdemeanor, are you still going to stand by your reaction? Are you going to boycott all players playing in the NHL that have misdemeanors because of the nature of the crime or what you think the person deserved? How about Casey Cizikas? Have you stopped watching the NHL because of him yet?
Yup.

People forget that Casey Cizikas killed a kid when he was in high school. Yet this guy was able to represent Team Canada a couple years after and play in the NHL. He loses his temper and pile drives a kid into the ground in a rugby game, killing him.

Article: From Manslaughter to the NHL: Casey Cizikas Has Done it All

If we're going to hold everyone accountable for their crimes then Voynov takes a back seat to at least this guy.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The optics of taking him on with the baggage he carries is probably insurmountable for at least 25 teams. You need the perfect storm of a team that sucks but isn't in a rebuild to be willing to take a risk. You also need minimal scrutiny from local sports media.

All Canadian teams would have to pass on him even if they thought he'd help on the ice. I'd say Florida is probably the best candidate. Maybe Arizona. Columbus could be a dark horse if everyone walks in FA.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yup.

People forget that Casey Cizikas killed a kid when he was in high school. Yet this guy was able to represent Team Canada a couple years after and play in the NHL. He loses his temper and pile drives a kid into the ground in a rugby game, killing him.

If we're going to hold everyone accountable for their crimes then Voynov takes a back seat to at least this guy.

The argument will be that Voynov hit a woman and for the white knights out there, thats the most deplorable crime you can commit, because women cant defend themselves. Nevermind that, by using that logic, you're simultaneously saying that women are inferior to men and 'need' protection. Its a petty fun argument to watch people make, to be honest. Abuse is bad, plain and simple. Doesnt matter who is being abused or who is doing the abusing.

The other argument will be "well, he was caught in the moment", while ignoring that Slava and his wife were in an argument before this all happened, and both parties are on record as saying that Slava tried to diffuse the situation by walking away (though, Slava's wife version of this story doesnt matter, because, again, she only recanted because she wants slava's money or doesnt want to get him in trouble. It cant possibly be that at the time of the incident, she was furious with her hubsnad and may have embellished details. Thats simply not possible.). But Slava isnt allowed to be caught in the moment of the argument. He needs to keep a cool head while Casey is allowed to crumple a kid.

Ultimately, it just boils down to - and im certainly not trivializing it here, it IS a serious problem - domestic abuse being the hot topic of social culture right now and it's being put further under the microscope because of all the sickening stories that are coming out of women being mistreated at home, in the workplace, and everywhere else.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That doesn't make any sense. Everyone has heard of stories where people stay together with their partners even though their relationship is ****ed up. Whether it's them being scared or just not realizing how bad things are. An acquaintance of mine is still together with his alcoholic husband for whatever reason even though she'd be way better off getting rid of him. People don't always make smart decisions.

Do these stories apply to Voynov? I'm good with an opinion based on how you feel but aren't you framing your narrative abit too close to a fact?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Do these stories apply to Voynov? I'm good with an opinion based on how you feel but aren't you framing your narrative abit too close to a fact?
I don't know and I never claimed that, if I sounded like it then I didn't mean to. I just think it's pretty ridiculous to say that everything's fine just based on the fact that they're still together.

Reactions: haveandare

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don't know and I never claimed that, if I sounded like it then I didn't mean to. I just think it's pretty ridiculous to say that everything's fine just based on the fact that they're still together.

My bad, I might have misread you.

That alone would be pretty ridiculous, I agree, so I did some reading and from what I understand:

The incident occurred at a Halloween party and the more I read, the more it sounded to me like he might have a serious problem with Alcohol.

The police interviewed her without a translator.

He accepted a plea deal and plead no contest.

And they had a child and later were married awhile after the event. The Olympic Committee cleared him to play and noted his charges here were already executed and he wouldn't fact any other negatives due to that.

He hasn't been in trouble since.

It sounds like he got help, possibly while on Probation, which would have been part of the required terms of a Plea Deal of this kind in Cali.

Based on all of this, I feel he should be reinstated.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The optics of taking him on with the baggage he carries is probably insurmountable for at least 25 teams. You need the perfect storm of a team that sucks but isn't in a rebuild to be willing to take a risk. You also need minimal scrutiny from local sports media.

All Canadian teams would have to pass on him even if they thought he'd help on the ice. I'd say Florida is probably the best candidate. Maybe Arizona. Columbus could be a dark horse if everyone walks in FA.
Every thing is going wrong in OTT... so the risk of adding him would not change much in their situation.

That said, I still do not agree with your statement. Most people believe in following the decisions by the judiciary branch. So a bunch of kids will probably/possibly protest such a signing but I don't think it would be as bad as some people are projecting. Specially if the team is PR prophylactic about it.

I think he is actually a low risk high reward since the team that signed him can always send him to the minors if it doesn't work out. And, at this point, he will probably only get a 1 year, maybe 2, tryout contract. So basically low or no risk.

Last edited:

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
So now that you see the facts are he only got a misdemeanor, are you still going to stand by your reaction? Are you going to boycott all players playing in the NHL that have misdemeanors because of the nature of the crime or what you think the person deserved? How about Casey Cizikas? Have you stopped watching the NHL because of him yet?

Yes, I still stand by it. My reaction was more in shock that its all he received. My criteria for boycotting isn't a misdemeanor charge, or manslaughter, its the fact that he beat the crap out of his wife. See the difference?

Here's a simple q for you: How would you feel about a colleague who did this crime and then came back to work? How would you feel about being a team player with said individual? I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time lacing up with someone who did what he did.

Once again, im all about second chances. He's not dead and he's not in jail and able bodied - he can go work elsewhere. Not in the NHL.

Reactions: JackFr

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yup.

Yeah, you're gonna have to point out where in the article you linked it says that.

Because what it actually says is that he tackled a kid in a rugby game, a kid who shouldn't have been playing for at least a year because he had a major concussion just two weeks prior. And the kids parents didn't and don't blame Cizikas at all, accepting it was an accident. The worst it gets is this Wordpress blog's article, which cites literally nothing and has multiple basic spelling errors, saying "Other witnesses say that Cizikas used a pile- driver move to knock Castillo to the ground."

And that's in an "article" that calls this act "murder" which is isn't in literally any sense. Despite the article having that slant to it, it still doesn't even come close to claiming what you're trying to attribute to it.

So, what's the difference? One act is very likely an accident - even accepted to be an accident by the victim's own family. Does anyone claim that Voynov accidentally beat his wife bloody?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The idea of the judiciary system is to avoid conflict of interest and opinion based consequences.

According to a person's rights. Since Slava Voynov doesn't have a right to work in the United States, this simply does not apply. Being able to work wherever you want is not a Universal Right.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I will absolutely boycott NHL players who got misdemeanors after their domestic partners won't testify after getting beaten. I feel pretty confident about my ability to remain consistent with respect to this standard.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There probably isn't a team in the league that needs a top 4 vet defenseman more than Ottawa . . . and if I were in charge of that team I wouldn't even entertain the notion of bringing that piece of garbage into the locker room.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I've got a million things on my list that rank higher than worrying if Voynov deserves a second chance. He's still rich if he doesn't come back to the NHL, so I really can't muster a ton of sympathy.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
She claims she hit the television set falling down, if I recall correctly.
Weird that she told the police who came to the house originally that he beat her, and then doubly weird that he pled no contest and accepted the punishment for a crime described as willfully inflicting corporal injury on a spouse.

Seem like she didn't claim it as an accident at the time and he didn't claim it as an accident in court. Sounds like it wasn't an accident.

Reactions: Torgo

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sorry buddy. Not everyone gets to enjoy their lavished career after they do something so horrible. The NHL should be no exception.

You're right. Dany Heatley should have never been let back into the league after driving recklessly and killing a teammate.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You're right. Dany Heatley should have never been let back into the league after driving recklessly and killing a teammate.

Wait for the "Heatly was impaired, he didnt know what he was doing. voynov knowingly beat his wife, so hes an utter monster" argument. Its coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad