News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not gonna debate what “elite” means, but he’s a guaranteed top 4 Dman.

We’ll see I guess. These guys fall asleep at the KHL level. That’s the problem. And when they have to wake up, they realize they’ve fallen off. I loved his game before, but have a feeling he’ll comeback disappointing.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I recently read (2019) that he has refused multiple KHL offers and his mind is set on the NHL.

Not sure what the NHL are still investigating since I think his criminal actions were wiped clean back in july 2018 (as was reported by the LA Times at the time).

All I can come up with at this point is the NHL wants to do it in the deadest part of the offseason, or that maybe it's all been decided behind the scenes and Blake just wants his contract to elapse or something.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can anyone say with any real confidence that this guy is still an elite Dman at the NHL level? Honestly, I'm not sure any GM takes on this PR nightmare that comes with a reclamation project like this guy

One important aspect is, and I said this before the Rangers signed Kevin Shattenkirk too, that the job description has changed quite much for a PMD in this league.

Before you were supposed to throw the odd homerun pass but play a pretty conservative game besides that — until you got up to the attacking blueline.

Nowadays the PMDs are given much more free roles, all Ds are really.

Voynov would be a pretty immobile PMD in relation to the younger guys.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
One important aspect is, and I said this before the Rangers signed Kevin Shattenkirk too, that the job description has changed quite much for a PMD in this league.

Before you were supposed to throw the odd homerun pass but play a pretty conservative game besides that — until you got up to the attacking blueline.

Nowadays the PMDs are given much more free roles, all Ds are really.

Voynov would be a pretty immobile PMD in relation to the younger guys.
He's been gone for a while so maybe my memory is fuzzy. I thought he was decent on his feet and was a very heady offensive defenseman.

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
Habs offer Alzner to the Kings, we have Weber to show him how to be a man, after all Radulov is back in the NHL because habs were there ;) ! Social reinsertion is a thing that work !

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
:leafs

Toronto would be a good fit team and cap wise. He would be very cheap and the Leafs need an impact RHD with cost control. But hey, who doesn't right....But he could really help push Toronto's group closer to the top of Cup contention mountain if he plays like he did before the whole incident.

The counterpoint is Toronto is the biggest media market and they'd have to deal with the headcahe of explaining the acquisition of a wife beater....

If a Dog Murderer like Mike Vick was able to survive and make it back in Philly and on PrimeTime TV I think they'll be okay signing this dude.

Honestly it would be a story for a week in Toronto till something else comes up. If he plays well they would be the first market to forgive him

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ottawa could really use a quality veteran dman.

Unfortunately, when one is not a quality person, it is hard to make the case that we should sign him.

Man do we need a player like him though...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
:leafs

Toronto would be a good fit team and cap wise. He would be very cheap and the Leafs need an impact RHD with cost control. But hey, who doesn't right....But he could really help push Toronto's group closer to the top of Cup contention mountain if he plays like he did before the whole incident.

The counterpoint is Toronto is the biggest media market and they'd have to deal with the headcahe of explaining the acquisition of a wife beater....

If a Dog Murderer like Mike Vick was able to survive and make it back in Philly and on PrimeTime TV I think they'll be okay signing this dude.

Can't see Toronto signing a guy like that. It would be hypocritical of a team that preaches character to go around and sign a guy like Voynov.

Blue Jays let go of Osuna in a hurry. Rogers are part owner of the Leafs. I doubt Bell/Rogers/MLSE want the kind of press coverage that would follow with them signing Voynov.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Can't see Toronto signing a guy like that. It would be hypocritical of a team that preaches character to go around and sign a guy like Voynov.

Blue Jays let go of Osuna in a hurry. Rogers are part owner of the Leafs. I doubt Bell/Rogers/MLSE want the kind of press coverage that would follow with them signing Voynov.

this is a good point as to why the leafs would be out. Plus the leafs have been pretty huge on hiring women in the workplace and ethical hiring in general.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton has a long history of reclamation projects and giving NHL players a second chance. They'd probably consider it at least.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Varlamov and Watson are still playing don’t see why he shouldn’t be aloud to. A lot of players have probably done worse and not got caught in the past. I’d take him on the leafs as he fits a need and I’m sure after a couple games it’ll all boil over. plua Toronto’s main media is owned by the team so they could realistically just keep it zipped up about him. Not sure too many outside of HF really know about it. Also if he’s good he’s good and people will forget or not really care

Btw he’s still with the same women

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Varlamov was later cleared although it took about 3 years.

Watson and Voynov’s cases are pretty similar. Watson’s girlfriend has tried to take the blame. Voynov’s wife refused to press charges (although the DA went ahead anyhow against her wishes). Both are still with the women the assaulted. I can’t see much of anything more being done since he’s essentially been suspended from the NHL for several seasons already

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Austin Watson had a very publicized episode where he assaulted his girlfriend, as has Varlamov. It’d be very hypocritical for the NHL to essentially do next to nothing to them while trying to make an example of Voynov.

Watson: Predators' Austin Watson got 3 months probation for domestic assault case | CBC News
Varlamov: Semyon Varlamov arrested

Wow, I had no idea. Yeah it's a very slippery sloap and something that won't go over well by one side no matter what happens

not Bonsignore

Apr 4, 2015
No.
Abuse is abuse.
Whether against a person or an animal.
People need to stop thinking that because it’s against another human it makes it worse....it doesn’t.

On lets be very clear on this... abuse is terrible. Period. But humans and animals are not equal... if I'm driving down a highway and I hit a dog the merciful thing to do is put it out if its misery. If it's your child I hit I'd bet you'd disagree that would be the best option. It's ridiculous to compare the two. Humans are humans. Animals are food.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I wonder what his game is like now. And what type of contract he is going to get like 1 or 2 years and numbers. Curious case.

I don't think we have room for him but I hope he doesn't get blacklisted. Every person should have a right to work and make income, as well as have a path to redemption.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
All I can come up with at this point is the NHL wants to do it in the deadest part of the offseason, or that maybe it's all been decided behind the scenes and Blake just wants his contract to elapse or something.

they should want to do it in the busiest part to try and bury the news

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Varlamov and Watson are still playing don’t see why he shouldn’t be aloud to. A lot of players have probably done worse and not got caught in the past. I’d take him on the leafs as he fits a need and I’m sure after a couple games it’ll all boil over. plua Toronto’s main media is owned by the team so they could realistically just keep it zipped up about him. Not sure too many outside of HF really know about it. Also if he’s good he’s good and people will forget or not really care

Btw he’s still with the same women
I would take him and put him with Muzzin on 2nd line. Kings reunion of the two.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Well, I hope Red Wings go big on Karlsson and land him. If that fails, I certainly would be happy to have Voynov on the team.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As a Canuck fan that desperately wants to see the right side of our D be significantly bolstered, I have this to say:

I have no interest in Slava Voynov and if it was up to me, he’d be in Guantanamo Bay.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Apparently he's a good pro. But it's obvious he's not a good man nor does he love his family good enough. Babcock would say no.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I wonder what his game is like now. And what type of contract he is going to get like 1 or 2 years and numbers. Curious case.

I don't think we have room for him but I hope he doesn't get blacklisted. Every person should have a right to work and make income, as well as have a path to redemption.
He does have the right to work. In his home country where he hasn't gotten deported from for a crime. No business going back to NHL if you ask me.

Reactions: DekeLikeYouMeanIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad