Skyrim Special Edition - 6 years of arrows to the knees

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
They've gotten pretty arrogant in recent times with plus increase despite horrible quality, this whole Pro thing and now denying mod support to a huge company like Bethesda. Not sure what the game plan is but Xbox is stepping up from launch to be far more gamer friendly which is a total reversal from how they were introduced.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They've gotten pretty arrogant in recent times with plus increase despite horrible quality, this whole Pro thing and now denying mod support to a huge company like Bethesda. Not sure what the game plan is but Xbox is stepping up from launch to be far more gamer friendly which is a total reversal from how they were introduced.

Ps4 still will win. But ps5 (if there ever is) is gonna end up pretty bad

If there's no next console generation what's the point?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Sure there's mods. But it looks like it won't be any of the good ones

1) You have to define "good". What constitutes a good Skyrim mod to you, may not constitute to another (eg total conversions like Enderal have no interest to me)

2) Console players like myself have survived this far with NO mods. I've played through to level 50, twice, on the 360 and still haven't done everything in the base game. So even any mods is better than what we had before.

3) Several Skyrim modders have already said they are attracted by the challenge of porting their mods to XB1 without SKSE

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
1) You have to define "good". What constitutes a good Skyrim mod to you, may not constitute to another (eg total conversions like Enderal have no interest to me)

2) Console players like myself have survived this far with NO mods. I've played through to level 50, twice, on the 360 and still haven't done everything in the base game. So even any mods is better than what we had before.

3) Several Skyrim modders have already said they are attracted by the challenge of porting their mods to XB1 without SKSE

Frostfall. Campfire. I think it was called needs and diseases. The super big mods if they ever get done

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Not sure where you're getting the info from but for #3 I really doubt that's an opinion shared by many.

I mean don't get me wrong it's great that console players will be getting better access to mods too, but they're mostly going to be related to using the editor to create new content. But to get the stuff that fundamentally changes the game the script extender is a must.

To be honest though there's so many mods you can add you might not even notice missing the ones that need skse.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Key word there is try

Of course, but the thing is I've been a gamer for long enough to know that limitations actually cause game designers and content creators to be more innovative. I'm old enough to remember the days of the early 80s when programmers had to wrestle with primitive machines like the Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum, and it made they had to really creative in their game design. I fully expect we will see brand new mods designed specifically to fit within the differing limitations of the PS4 and XB1

So like I said, some modders have said they are excited by the challenge of porting their mods to XB1.
Some have said they're not going to do it, but they're happy for other people to take it and try.
Some have said they're not doing it at all (SkyUI). But for a mod like that, I can guarantee that someone will try and copy it, or design their own version that will work
And some have gone all PC Master-race and outright refuse to do it. They can expect that people with shamelessly steal their mods and convert them, and laugh in their face whilst doing it. Because internet.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
, and it made they had to really creative in their game design. I fully expect we will see brand new mods designed specifically to fit within the differing limitations of the PS4 and XB1

This is true but I'm not sure it's going to happen for a re-release on a large scale. On future new titles probably.

Some have said they're not doing it at all (SkyUI). But for a mod like that, I can guarantee that someone will try and copy it, or design their own version that will work
And some have gone all PC Master-race and outright refuse to do it. They can expect that people with shamelessly steal their mods and convert them, and laugh in their face whilst doing it. Because internet.

I don't think avoiding doing extra work for a platform you don't use is "going all pc master-race". If the mod could be used on consoles with minimal extra work and the modder flatly refused then maybe.

But even then I'd have a hard time objecting. It's their work and if they have a reason for not wanting it on one platform or another that's their call. Modders are generally a crazy bunch (speaking as one, though not for TES) but players aren't entitled to their content.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Of course, but the thing is I've been a gamer for long enough to know that limitations actually cause game designers and content creators to be more innovative. I'm old enough to remember the days of the early 80s when programmers had to wrestle with primitive machines like the Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum, and it made they had to really creative in their game design. I fully expect we will see brand new mods designed specifically to fit within the differing limitations of the PS4 and XB1

So like I said, some modders have said they are excited by the challenge of porting their mods to XB1.
Some have said they're not going to do it, but they're happy for other people to take it and try.

Are you talking about mods in general here or SKSE mods, which SkyUI falls under?

If it's the latter, do you understand what SKSE is? From it's own description this is a tool that "expands scripting capabilities and adds additional functionality to the game." Scripts are small bits of computer code, and the extended capability is needed to create mods that change things a lot like Frostfall.

For a programmer this isn't something that will bring out creativity, it's just a pain in the ass that gets in the way of creativity and in many cases will make SKSE mods impossible to replicate.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I don't think avoiding doing extra work for a platform you don't use is "going all pc master-race". If the mod could be used on consoles with minimal extra work and the modder flatly refused then maybe.

No, I don't either, and that's what I'm not accusing those modders of. But some have definitely come over all PCMR about their mods. As have some Skyrim PC players.

Are you talking about mods in general here or SKSE mods, which SkyUI falls under?

If it's the latter, do you understand what SKSE is? From it's own description this is a tool that "expands scripting capabilities and adds additional functionality to the game." Scripts are small bits of computer code, and the extended capability is needed to create mods that change things a lot like Frostfall.

For a programmer this isn't something that will bring out creativity, it's just a pain in the ass that gets in the way of creativity and in many cases will make SKSE mods impossible to replicate

Yes I understand that. Yes I understand that it means some features will not be transferable to console. So it may mean we get Frostfall-lite on XB1 - it's still better than Frostfall-not-at-all :)

Meanwhile, up to 16 mods on Bethesda.net, including the first of "I hope they come to console" mods in the form of Live Another Life and Open Cities

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So Bethesda just announced that XB1 will have 5GB space for mods and PS4 will only have 1GB.......was previously announced as 2GB for both.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I suspect that the amount will increase as time progresses and the files are tested by players. By that point more mods will also be available. Patience young Dovahkiins.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I suspect that the amount will increase as time progresses and the files are tested by players. By that point more mods will also be available. Patience young Dovahkiins.

I'm sure that's the reason.

Both Bethesda and Sony are unwilling to commit the resources to testing the mods, so they rely on the user base.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I'm sure that's the reason.

Both Bethesda and Sony are unwilling to commit the resources to testing the mods, so they rely on the user base.

When it comes to testing if the games will break the game r cause some errors, yes that will fall on the players to govern. As for viruses I am sure they will figure something out. Until then I am only going to download the mods that have been out for a while and have good ratings for my PS4.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
press preview copies have been sent out and first vids are up on youtube. Graphics are a definite improvement, if not quite "blow you away". Draw distance is much further, and cities look sharper.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The graphics are fine. But the real reason people will buy it esp on PC is mods

I'll take a free upgrade if at least frostfall rnd come back

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Has there been any info on potential mods?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't look the at the page before.:laugh:

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The graphics are fine. But the real reason people will buy it esp on PC is mods

I'll take a free upgrade if at least frostfall rnd come back

Campfire got loaded today, and the author said in the comments that he's working on Frostfall right now. He doesn't anticipate any problems as it didn't use the script extender until 2 years ago.

XB1 now has 41 mods uploaded. PS4 has 1........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad