Skyrim Special Edition - 6 years of arrows to the knees

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The factions weren't as great as other games. I wouldn't call it rushed. Brotherhood and thieves guild were great. Companions were cool. Mage was garbage

Oblivion's factions were better, but Skyrim did a lot of other things better. Really hasn't been a perfect ES game.

As for this remaster. It apparently won't bork my mods so I'm cool with that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Oblivion's factions were better, but Skyrim did a lot of other things better. Really hasn't been a perfect ES game.

As for this remaster. It apparently won't bork my mods so I'm cool with that.

I would agree. I liked oblivions fighters guild. But werewolves are cool. I think ob had the better thieves. Skyrim had the better dark brotherhood

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would agree. I liked oblivions fighters guild. But werewolves are cool. I think ob had the better thieves. Skyrim had the better dark brotherhood

True. Dark Brotherhood was easily the best faction sidequest in Skyrim. Honestly outside of the mage's Skyrims factions are pretty good. Ob's Mage's is way better though.

Skyrim kind of also has the civil war sidequests that are basically additional faction quests IMO and they trump the arena easily. Skyrim's Dadric prince missions were better as well.

for BS this remaster just makes the most sense. It's most popular and mainstream ES game, the closest to current gen graphics so the easiest to remaster. Honestly some new content would be nice (would love a third option to the civil war quest line) but since PC owners are getting for free I have no right to complain expect I need to upgrade some hardware to run it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Morrowind did factions the best. IIRC, there were at least 4 factions you could join depending on your particular playstyle.

Rogue character?
You had Thieves Guild, House Hlaalu, Morag Tong, and the Berne Vampire faction.

Warrior character?
Fighter's Guild, House Redoran, Imperial Legion, and Quarra Vampire faction.

Spellcaster?
Mage's Guild, House Telvanni, Tribunal Temple, Imperial Cult, and Aundae Vampire faction.

Each faction had their own quest line, and often interacted with the other factions in said quests. IIRC, a large part of the Thieves Guild quest line was stealing from the Mage's Guild and wiping out the Fighter's Guild (or was it vise versa?)

Not only that, but they were very specific about joining requirements and advancement within the guild. If you didn't have the right attributes, you couldn't join and/or advance in a particular guild. Unlike in Skyrim, where I can be the head of the College of Winterhold by knowing only one spell (literally).

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Not only that, but they were very specific about joining requirements and advancement within the guild. If you didn't have the right attributes, you couldn't join and/or advance in a particular guild. Unlike in Skyrim, where I can be the head of the College of Winterhold by knowing only one spell (literally).

I often bag Morrowind for how un-user friendly and difficult it was at lower levels, but that was one feature I really liked about the guilds.

But lets not go overboard with the MW nostalgia. Who remembers its journal? Horrific and impossible to navigate. Don't let anyone tell me that Skyrim's isn't light years better.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I often bag Morrowind for how un-user friendly and difficult it was at lower levels, but that was one feature I really liked about the guilds.

But lets not go overboard with the MW nostalgia. Who remembers its journal? Horrific and impossible to navigate. Don't let anyone tell me that Skyrim's isn't light years better.

Yeah it's pretty garbage. Especially if I haven't played in a while. Probably a mod for it

Either way. That's so minor I can easily ignore that bad part

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah it's pretty garbage. Especially if I haven't played in a while. Probably a mod for it

Either way. That's so minor I can easily ignore that bad part

I'm sure there is, but I just don't think Morrowwind has aged well overall. Not just the graphics.

Skyrim overall is just a smoother game to play to me.

Oblivion is just weird. The content is really solid and so is the world for the most part. The leveling system and the enemy scaling is just **** though. I don't think I can play Vanilla oblivion.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Eh, it depends on how you look at it. For immersion, the journal was great. Instead of having map markers telling you where your quest objective is or giant arrows floating above NPC heads, you had to read the journal and figure out where to go next. Gameplay-wise, it was a pain in the ass, but it kept you immersed in the game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
A morrowind journal would be trash in skyrim. Could you imagine having to walk from riften to somewhere around markarth but you don't know exactly where?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
A morrowind journal would be trash in skyrim. Could you imagine having to walk from riften to somewhere around markarth but you don't know exactly where?

I remember there was one quest were you literally given directions "go that big boulder to the north, turn left, down the hill and its behind the trees".

Needless to say after 30 hopeless minutes, I never found my destination :shakehead

Anyway, as for the Skyrim remake, I'm all over it. Hopefully there'll be new content and I'll be able to finally complete the Thieves Guild questline which was bugged on the 360

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Eh, it depends on how you look at it. For immersion, the journal was great. Instead of having map markers telling you where your quest objective is or giant arrows floating above NPC heads, you had to read the journal and figure out where to go next. Gameplay-wise, it was a pain in the ass, but it kept you immersed in the game.

As much as it was immersive, even the gamers who like that stuff don't like it all the time. I tell myself I enjoy that type of stuff, yet I have trouble going back to games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout 1/2 which while being isometric games that have aged pretty well graphically, I can't get into them because the gameplay hasn't aged well. In real life where we don't have a quest market over everything we do, we have far better directions on how to do something.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Enough with the morrowind talk. That game was garbage and will never be remade.

Skyrim is the pinnacle of elder scrolls.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Enough with the morrowind talk. That game was garbage and will never be remade.

Skyrim is the pinnacle of elder scrolls.

No, Aliens: Colonial Marines was garbage. Morrowind, while it has aged poorly to say the least, is as far from garbage as you can get.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Skyrim has been the best in the series in my opinion. I loved Oblivion as well, but the leveling system was awful. I have replayed it with mods that change the leveling system, and enjoyed it even more than the first time I played it though. Morrowind was amazing at the time, and the uniqueness of the world and the immersion you have while playing it is timeless. Unfortunately, the game mechanics have aged terribly and are awful in comparison to new games. Even the mods that are available can't bring me spend much time playing that game, as it's just obsolete.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I've never played Skyrim (on my own) so I'm not sure what to expect. Obviously, people say it's an amazing game and all that. Will I be completely lost picking it up for the first time on PS4?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I've never played Skyrim (on my own) so I'm not sure what to expect. Obviously, people say it's an amazing game and all that. Will I be completely lost picking it up for the first time on PS4?

Not at all. It's not like it's COD or something where you get slaughtered if you're new. Just take your time, and explore. It's highly immersive

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Lost in the world. Yeah

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Yes, you'll be completely lost in Skyrim. I wouldn't expect to leave your house or function for a good long time.:sarcasm:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

You can go at your own pace.

Like lots of people, you'll probably find yourself seeing something cool off in the distance, running to it to check it out and then seeing another cool thing off in the distance, running to it and then realizing you just spent an hour(or more) just sightseeing haha.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Hey you just highlighted what I found to be a real pain in the ass in Skyrim, which I finally got around to playing this year, and after 100+ enjoyable hours what probably turned me off it: random quests that inexplicably lead you to the other side of the map.

This leads to two results: you throw it onto your quest queue to do later, or you do it now and hit the road... which inevitably leads you to other quests which sends you to other places across the map so you have to repeat the process.

Skyrim maps are basically a recursive function. The problem is, if you let too many quests start to pile up the game starts hitting performance problems. Not to mention you may have received any specific quest so long ago that by the time you get back to that area you've forgotten what it as about, or the immersion breaking effect where hey these seemed kind of urgent but you put it off for a few in-game months yet the NPC is still there waiting for you.

So at some point your quest book gets so full that you just have to stop what you're doing, ignore everything else and using ample fast travel start clearing them. Suddenly the game seems less fun and more like a chore.

So yeah I think (been a while since I played it) I'd take Morrowinds quests over Skyrim, poor journal & sketchy directions and all.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So at some point your quest book gets so full that you just have to stop what you're doing, ignore everything else and using ample fast travel start clearing them. Suddenly the game seems less fun and more like a chore.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, in an open world game with few restrictions, there will likely always be ways for things to end up as chores if you play a certain way. In this case, the solution would be to not let your quests pile up like that. That's easier said than done, I know, but something that I try to do is not follow quests that take me to a new region until I've finished the quests in my current area that I want to finish. For example, if I'm in Windhelm and get a quest to seek out someone in Riften, then I can surmise that that's the city that I'm meant to go to after Windhelm. If I go immediately, however, I'm going to end up receiving a whole bunch of Riften quests on top of the Windhelm quests that I haven't completed. If I don't want my quest book to get saturated and want to keep my travel efficient, then I should put that quest on hold until I've mostly finished up in Windhelm. I also find that more fun, because, once I do go to Riften, I can be eager for and invested in the new quests that I get, rather than annoyed that more things are being added to my to-do list that I have no intention of doing any time soon.

On a related note, it might be interesting in such a game to see more quests have some sort of expiration. I realize that part of the fun is being able to do any quest whenever you feel like it and you don't want to be harshly penalized for sightseeing and taking your time. Still, a little bit of urgency here and there could spice things up and help immersion. For example, right now, if I'm needed to send an urgent message to a fort about an imminent attack, I can blow that off and let weeks elapse in the game, only to finally do it and find that I "luckily" got there just in time. It would be cool, if I didn't deliver the message within 2 days, to arrive and find that the fort had been attacked, my reward forfeited and my reputation with that faction seriously damaged. Other quests could be far more forgiving, for example, receiving 5 gold instead of 10 if I take too long to deliver requested wolf pelts. It might be close to impossible to get the full reward on every quest, requiring players to prioritize, adding a small level of strategy to games (i.e. which order to do quests in to maximize reward). Anyways, it's an idea... maybe a bad one, but it'd be interesting to try it.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't get that complaint. Quests should never feel like a chore, because you shouldn't feel obligated to complete them. I just get around to the quests whenever I feel like it.

Say I'm doing a Dark Brotherhood quest to kill someone in Dawnstar. I kill the target, then check my map. Hey, the main quest has a crypt near Dawnstar, I'll head that way. I'll ignore the talk about "strange dreams" in Dawnstar, because I don't care about their problems.

After clearing the crypt, the main quest leads me back to Riverwood. That's quite a trek, so I'll just head north toward Solitude instead.

And so on and so forth...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad