Skyrim Special Edition - 6 years of arrows to the knees

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
Wow this is huge! I wanted this for so long and stopped hoping lol and now it's coming! I wonder if they'll add any extra content. Something I always thought would be awesome is if you could rebuild helgen I think it was and make your own town/colony

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow this is huge! I wanted this for so long and stopped hoping lol and now it's coming! I wonder if they'll add any extra content. Something I always thought would be awesome is if you could rebuild helgen I think it was and make your own town/colony

Well there's going to be mods, so technically there will be extra content.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'd rather have Morrowind then Oblivion or Skyrim tbh...

I never really could enjoy morrowind. Started on oblivion. Couldn't stand combat. Then I learnt it. It got better but it was pretty bad. It would be better is if you hit them everytime. But there would be a slight chance at a miss.

Probably gonna have to mod it to actually finish the game

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They're definitely working on it, and will probably announce it next year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/13/e3-2016-bethesda-is-working-on-the-elder-scrolls-6

When it comes out is a whole other thing. Just skimmed the article, but it says they want to take their time on ES:6 and have other projects that they're working on and "...will probably hear about those even before Elder Scrolls 6." My guess is probably 2018 release or possibly later. Guess this will have to hold us over till then.

I don't care for the release. I just want it announced with info on where it is and what's going on

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Remastering Skyrim for PS4 and XB1 is easy. The PC version has a lot of the features they'd need to add, and the engine technology has a lot in common with their existing PS4/XB1 game, which grants a high degree or portability.

An Oblivion or Morrowwind remaster is either a lazy upscale or a massive project that requires an actual team and an actual timeframe. It also makes less sense for them since neither game holds a candle to the success of Skyrim.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
The game is free for legendary edition owners or people who have the game and all the DLC. On PC atleast I dunno about console...

80$ tho? LMFAO pass. I'll just play the old one with mods.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Theres no substance to the $80 dollar thing. I doubt it will be anywhere close to that considering it will be completely free for a large portion of the fanbase.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If Morrowind was "massively successful", what does that make Skyrim - which outsold Morrowind in ~3 days and sold over 6 times the total number of copies?

...At a time where A: the "gaming culture" is more mainstream than it was when Morrowind was released and B: the Elder Scrolls series was more established than when Morrowind was released.

The fact that Morrowind is still being played and still having mods created for it, despite being a 15-year-old game, is certainly reason enough to claim it as massively successful.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
...At a time where A: the "gaming culture" is more mainstream than it was when Morrowind was released and B: the Elder Scrolls series was more established than when Morrowind was released.

The fact that Morrowind is still being played and still having mods created for it, despite being a 15-year-old game, is certainly reason enough to claim it as massively successful.
Morrowinds was a good game but even when I first played it on Xbox I couldn't get over the n64 cardboard textures (speaking of which the character models almost resembled goldeneye) and the horrible combat

It was a large game but I hated it and I don't even consider myself a casual gamer

I don't think skyrim is all that great either and the main questlines all seem unfinished like the game was rushed

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They're definitely working on it, and will probably announce it next year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/13/e3-2016-bethesda-is-working-on-the-elder-scrolls-6

When it comes out is a whole other thing. Just skimmed the article, but it says they want to take their time on ES:6 and have other projects that they're working on and "...will probably hear about those even before Elder Scrolls 6." My guess is probably 2018 release or possibly later. Guess this will have to hold us over till then.

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like ES6 will introduce a new engine and that most of the development of the game right now is in just developing the engine. He also said that two major projects will probably be announced before ES6 and that that'll make sense in the future, which I interpret could mean that those other projects will be based on the current (Creation) engine and they don't want to hurt the hype or reception of those projects by making them look like stopgaps with a re-tread engine before their next big thing.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

None of this detracts from my point, though.

Morrowind is not even fractionally as relevant to Bethesda or gamers in general, so why would they take the additional effort to remaster that instead of Skyrim.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If Morrowind was "massively successful", what does that make Skyrim - which outsold Morrowind in ~3 days and sold over 6 times the total number of copies?

You do realize that the human population is larger now then it was back in the early 2000s?

And idk even know if morrowind was hyped up at all by Bethesda. And rpg games weren't even that big yet

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Morrowinds was a good game but even when I first played it on Xbox I couldn't get over the n64 cardboard textures (speaking of which the character models almost resembled goldeneye) and the horrible combat

It was a large game but I hated it and I don't even consider myself a casual gamer

I don't think skyrim is all that great either and the main questlines all seem unfinished like the game was rushed

The game was a little rushed thanks to Microsoft. But it didn't affect the campaign at all. There was probably going to be an extended civil war quest line and the arena from oblivion. And maybe tiny things

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Some of the more silly arguments aside, I don't think anyone was arguing that Morrowind wasn't successful. But even if you take it relatively based on rankings it's really not close.

Skyrim was #2 on the 2011 sales charts, and it was only out for 2 months in that year. Morrowind didn't even crack the top 20 for 2002.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Some of the more silly arguments aside, I don't think anyone was arguing that Morrowind wasn't successful. But even if you take it relatively based on rankings it's really not close.

Skyrim was #2 on the 2011 sales charts, and it was only out for 2 months in that year. Morrowind didn't even crack the top 20 for 2002.

Skyrim also came out on 3 consoles. Morrowind only came out on PC and Xbox (and Xbox might have been later but id have to check). And I wonder if Bethesda even hyped it up

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The game was a little rushed thanks to Microsoft. But it didn't affect the campaign at all. There was probably going to be an extended civil war quest line and the arena from oblivion. And maybe tiny things

Theres other stuff. The College of Winterhold questline, one of the main quests, felt incredibly short. Like you're some scrub apprentice and suddenly youre the archmage in an hour.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
We can't really judge Morrowinds graphics. At the time, it was one of the most taxing PC games ever made and most rigs couldn't run it. I had to buy it on OX because there was no way I could afford a proper PC at 14 to play it lol. It was a game that the PS2 literally could not run. Contrast that with Fallout 4 today which while taxing, wasn't nearly as hard to run comparatively as Morrowind.

I'd rather have Morrowind then Oblivion or Skyrim tbh...

Thinking back, Morrowind may have had more depth gameplay and main story wise, but Oblivion literally had it all. Each faction was twice as long as the longest Skyrim faction (Thieves Guild), there were so many arching quest lines, more than a half dozen full fledged cities, and while the wilderness tended to look the same, it felt more alive than either Skyrim or Morrowind.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
While I do think you have to give it some slack, those games from the early 2000s really did just age like crap almost immediately. I bought an xbox in 2005 and vice city and morrowind and hitman just immediately looked like crap when i played them.

Though you play a game like Otogi myth of demons which came out in the same year and the graphics are just amazing.

but games that came out just 2-3 years later around '05-'06 have aged much better.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Theres other stuff. The College of Winterhold questline, one of the main quests, felt incredibly short. Like you're some scrub apprentice and suddenly youre the archmage in an hour.

The factions weren't as great as other games. I wouldn't call it rushed. Brotherhood and thieves guild were great. Companions were cool. Mage was garbage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad