Skjei unsure if he's ready to leave U. of Minn.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If signed Skjei probably won't make the NHL right away but he'll be on the fast track. If he signs this summer it's much more likely that the Rangers move Marc Staal sometime during the year. Skjei has a lot of the same attributes that Staal has--tall, great reach, defensively sound. Is probably even a better skater.

As far as Bodie and Allen they can still be players for us. They need vets around them in the AHL though and thats what Kampfer and Hunwick are there to provide. Not a good thing to be depending on just first and second year pros if you expect to win at the AHL level.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That's semantics as I'm aware he doesn't HAVE to sign with Hartford.

It isn't semantics. Skjei has no obligation to sign with the Rangers, ever. He could decide to retire from hockey tomorrow and that is totally his right. It's his life.

By selecting him in the draft, all we did was determine where he would play if and when he decides to sign a contract.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
If signed Skjei probably won't make the NHL right away but he'll be on the fast track. If he signs this summer it's much more likely that the Rangers move Marc Staal sometime during the year. Skjei has a lot of the same attributes that Staal has--tall, great reach, defensively sound. Is probably even a better skater.

As far as Bodie and Allen they can still be players for us. They need vets around them in the AHL though and thats what Kampfer and Hunwick are there to provide. Not a good thing to be depending on just first and second year pros if you expect to win at the AHL level.

I don't think Skjei has anything to do with Staal as of yet. Even if he projects as a similar player, we have no idea if he'll be anywhere near as good. If the team's goal is to win the Cup within the next few years, I think the idea would be to have BOTH of them contributing.

Not every defenseman can become as good as Staal/McD as quickly as those players became good.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think Skjei has anything to do with Staal as of yet. Even if he projects as a similar player, we have no idea if he'll be anywhere near as good. If the team's goal is to win the Cup within the next few years, I think the idea would be to have BOTH of them contributing.

Not every defenseman can become as good as Staal/McD as quickly as those players became good.

If Staal can sign for 5 mill, I'd be absolutely fine with him on the 2nd pairing. But anything more and he becomes problematic to keep.

nikonsniper*

backtoschool.gif

Fine with me. No room for him really right now anyway.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
No reason for it they just want him in the ahl but why should he play there instead of college and then pro cause it's not like he could move up and force out John Moore cause John Moore is totally fine where he is now..

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
John Moore has a hockey IQ of 50. I'm pretty sure Skjei is better than him right now. But Skjei has the potential to be far better than John Moore, so I'm fine with him going back to college for another year. It certainly won't hurt him.

SupersonicMonkey*

Skjei is a very intelligent player. It is one of his strengths. I would say, he relies on his head more than his skates.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Skjei is staying in school

Gopher Hockey defenseman Brady Skjei has confirmed he will return to the University of Minnesota for his junior season in 2014-15.

The Lakeville, Minn., is currently participating at the New York Rangers Prospect Development Camp at Madison Square Garden Training Center and informed the National Hockey League (NHL) organization of his decision on Thursday.

"I can't wait to come back and build off of what we accomplished last year," Skjei said. "It's a new season and a new team, but I'm excited about our potential."

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/2014/07/skjei-excited-to-return-in-2014-15.html

No surprise.

He still needs to work on his game.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
As much as I want to see Skjei turn pro this year, college seems to do a very good job of training players the defensive and positional portion of the games. This is obviously important to a blueliner. Still with the WJC behind him, I'd really like to see him get in a challenge at the next level. Maybe the Rangers will get him a spot in the WC at the end of the year.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm glad he stayed in College.

If he feels he's not ready, then he's not ready. Going to the NHL because someone else thinks you are ready is the wrong reason.

When the time is right, only you know.

Plus as mentioned, he stays and gets an education which will serve him well when his NHL career is over.

Good for Skjei.

Championship*

Can Brady add some offense to his game? If he can he could become a formidable D-man.

Championship*

Another question: Could Brady pull a Kreider and join the team for the playoffs? Not saying that he should, and really I guess it depends on his season. Plus, the chances that the Rangers want to trust one of their D-man spots to a greenhorn during the most important time of the year are slim.

Who knows, it's mid August what else is there to ******** about right?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can Brady add some offense to his game? If he can he could become a formidable D-man.

I think Brady himself mentioned that's one reason why he wanted to go back for one more year. It was reported that he has a very good slapshot (from earlier this summer I believe), so if he tries to hone that skill it'll be a plus for us.

Besides, he's probably wants one more shot at the NCAA title since they were so close last year.

I'm also curious to see how Nanne plays at OSU this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad