Skjei unsure if he's ready to leave U. of Minn.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Probably want him to play a season or half a season in the A (like McD did) before he joins the rangers. He has to be Staal's replacement. I've heard his ceiling is McDonagh-esque. If that's true Id want him here as soon as possible

SupersonicMonkey*

Probably want him to play a season or half a season in the A (like McD did) before he joins the rangers. He has to be Staal's replacement. I've heard his ceiling is McDonagh-esque. If that's true Id want him here as soon as possible

This is probably it.

He won't be as good as McDonagh. But a step below him, yes. Kid is very intelligent, sound fundamentals, high mobility, quick smart plays with the puck. Reach. Closes gaps quickly. Speed. He has the entire package, except he may never develop the offense.

Defensively, he will be outstanding.

Have to think that if he goes back to Minnesota, the offense may be one of the areas he wants to develop. Maybe he feels he can do it at Minnesota against competition he is already comfortable with, rather then trying to expand that part of his game while trying to adjust to the Pro level of competition.

Just speculating.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You think management wants him to go pro cause if they feel hes ready they would trade staal and bring brady up

Pushes JMoore out of the line up in less than a year giving the Rangers a very good trade chip. They have a guy that can do that in Conor Allen, but you need more depth in case injuries hit.

If Marc Staal gets traded it will be for a legit top 4 D or top 6 forward depending what can be backfilled or brought back. The Rangers don't have a ready made top 4 D in waiting right now, they have a bunch of guys that can step in on the 5-6 slots and go up against lower quality of competition, but nothing beyond that as of now.

SupersonicMonkey*

John Moore has a massive amount of potential. No way they give up on him. He pushed Del Zotto out. He is only 23 and has some physical attributes you can't teach. The game you can teach. They are working with him and developing him.

McDonagh
Skjei
Moore

On the left side in the future, will create a lot of problems for the opposition. That is serious mobility.

SupersonicMonkey*

regardless of how ready he is, I'd like to see him spend 1/2 yr in Hartford like McD did.

Undoubtedly what will happen when he signs, be it this summer or next.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If the scouts think he is ready, I want him in Hartford or with the Rangers. However you can't blame him for wanting to enjoy the college life. Have fun dude.

Yeah you can, he has an employer. I guess if it's up to him, then it's up to him, but to me "wanting to enjoy the college life" is not a good enough excuse.

SupersonicMonkey*

Him not going pro has nothing to do with "enjoying college life".

I recall the same claims about Kreider, then his interview is released where he talks about how all his time was spent at the rink, in the gym, or in class and how he had no social life and couldnt meet people.

These guys are professionals, but at the amateur level. The ones who screw around don't have their head on straight. Skjei has his head on straight.

SupersonicMonkey*

Yeah you can, he has an employer. I guess if it's up to him, then it's up to him, but to me "wanting to enjoy the college life" is not a good enough excuse.

The Rangers aren't his "employer". He doesn't have a contract with them. The Rangers own his rights. Rights that protect a team to have first crack at signing their draft picks.

When he signs his ELC, then he has an employer.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
John Moore has a massive amount of potential. No way they give up on him. He pushed Del Zotto out. He is only 23 and has some physical attributes you can't teach. The game you can teach. They are working with him and developing him.

McDonagh
Skjei
Moore

On the left side in the future, will create a lot of problems for the opposition. That is serious mobility.

I think Allen or a pure offensive defenseman like Bodie takes Moore's spot in the next year or two.

SupersonicMonkey*

I think Allen or a pure offensive defenseman like Bodie takes Moore's spot in the next year or two.

Depends on how a guy like Bodie develops. Remains to be seen if he can even handle Pro hockey, whereas John Moore was just a top six defender for a Stanley Cup finalist. And didn't make a fool of himself by any means.

The Rangers lost the Cup by 3 goals.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Can't be mad at a kid for wanting an education. Hockey will only last until he's about 35 give or take a few years. There's a whole lot to life after that and he may or may not be able to live for life without working after his NHL career is over.

SupersonicMonkey*

Now, I know based on my last post, some will say: "So Bodie remains to be seen but Skjei is a lock? So on so forth..."

To which i reply, absolutely. Skjei >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bodie. And its not debatable. Skjei is on another level. His IQ is NHL ready. His physical tools are NHL ready. It just comes down to if he is ready mentally. If he is, he will sign. If not, he will play his Junior year, and then sign.

Just wanted to clear that up and get it out of the way before the trolls rear their heads.

SupersonicMonkey*

Not sure they consider Allen a piece here.

They just signed Kostka and Hunwick as NHL depth. And Kompfer as potential.

If they viewed Allen that way, I'm not so sure they would be covering their bases as blatantly.

Allen hopes Skjei doesn't sign, because once he does, that left side is going to be blocked long term.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Not sure they consider Allen a piece here.

They just signed Kostka and Hunwick as NHL depth. And Kompfer as potential.

If they viewed Allen that way, I'm not so sure they would be covering their bases as blatantly.

Allen hopes Skjei doesn't sign, because once he does, that left side is going to be blocked long term.

Teams always sign scrap heap players for the seventh defense slot. You don't want a kid like Allen sitting in the press box.

SupersonicMonkey*

Teams always sign scrap heap players for the seventh defense slot. You don't want a kid like Allen sitting in the press box.

Agree here.

No you don't.

Gorton had odd wording for it though.

On Hunwick, “Matt can skate and is a character guy. Has a nice little blend of offense and defense and we thought he would be a good fit for us and fit in to what we are trying to do and a real character kid.”

On Kostka, “he is an offensive guy, can move a puck, skate, has some size. We think that he will be a good depth player for us. He is PP, has won at the AHL level. We like his character, we like the kind of player he is, he brings added depth going forward.”

The whole "kid" and "going forward" part is interesting language. But, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Agree here.

No you don't.

Gorton had odd wording for it though.

The whole "kid" and "going forward" part is interesting language. But, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Management types are always going to pump up new acquisitions to the press. I don't see anything remarkable about what Gorton said.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers aren't his "employer". He doesn't have a contract with them. The Rangers own his rights. Rights that protect a team to have first crack at signing their draft picks.

When he signs his ELC, then he has an employer.

That's semantics as I'm aware he doesn't HAVE to sign with Hartford.

SupersonicMonkey*

Management types are always going to pump up new acquisitions to the press. I don't see anything remarkable about what Gorton said.

While that may be true, when they deliberately bring up specific players without being asked specifically about them, its a hint toward who they hold in higher regard.

For example, he talked about Duclair recently.

I can't recall him speaking about Allen. But that doesn't mean he isn't on their radar. From what he showed in camp last year, i was impressed.

Still, i don't see him usurping Moore. Vigneault and the staff seem to love Moore.

I'll say this much, it is a nice problem to have. We have some very good young defensemen, particularly on the left side.

On the right side, hopefully Zamorsky and Calle Andersson emerge. And hopefully McIlrath continues to improve his skating so i don't have to have a stroke.

Hopefully the recent picks develop as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad