Skjei unsure if he's ready to leave U. of Minn.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Clark & Co. want him to go pro. Sounds like he wants to stay in school for one more year of fun.

Brady Skjei still has some thinking to do.

The Rangers would like their first-round pick from 2012 to turn pro but the allure of returning to Minnesota for his junior season — off an NCAA Frozen Four appearance — is strong for the 20-year-old defenseman.

"I'm not sure," the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Skjei said Monday as the Rangers opened their week-long prospect camp. "Gordie [Clark, the Rangers director of player personnel] has told me he thinks I'm ready. But I'm still thinking. It's tough, but I think one more year of development would only help me."

Article

When was the last time a top-tier Rangers prospect went against management's plan for him? Didn't this happen with Kreider at BC?

Last edited:

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah there is no rush really. I know they probably can't wait to get their hands on him in Hartford but Minnesota isn't that shabby.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If the scouts think he is ready, I want him in Hartford or with the Rangers. However you can't blame him for wanting to enjoy the college life. Have fun dude.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
How does him going back affect his contract status? Don't want a Schultz situation here.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
How does him going back affect his contract status? Don't want a Schultz situation here.

Didn't they change the rules for NCAA prospect in the new CBA? That the player can stay and get his degree while the NHL club keeps the rights?

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
If we're going to have 1st round picks, can we please, I dunno, draft people who may be ready to go pro ASAP?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Clark & Co. want him to go pro. Sounds like he wants to stay in school for one more year of fun.

Article

When was the last time a top-tier Rangers prospect went against management's plan for him? Didn't this happen with Kreider at BC?
McDonagh too. According to HF, it meant that McDonagh had attitude problems and Kreider was going to the Bruins.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Yeah the Rangers wanted him pro after his freshmen year. Mac Truck also stayed an extra year.

Might not be a bad thing for him to stick around. More time in the weight room to fill out quicker, but kid will still need reps.

I think he's a lock to be better than JMoore based on size and focus factor alone.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No reason to leave if he doesn't want to.

Nothing wrong with one more year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If we're going to have 1st round picks, can we please, I dunno, draft people who may be ready to go pro ASAP?

Those picks exist in the top 5 and almost nowhere else.

Be patient.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
It's tough because you figure management has a pretty good idea how best to develop players, but you also want the kid to be comfortable when he does make the transition to the pros.

I won't complain if he stays because I'm moving to Minneapolis this August and will be able to watch him play live.

SupersonicMonkey*

Nothing has been decided yet.

But going back to school wouldn't be the worst thing. Not surprised Rangers brass wants him to go Pro now. He is good enough to play now.

If he feels he can add another dimension to his game (increase his offense) then it is hard to argue against it.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Those picks exist in the top 5 and almost nowhere else.

Be patient.

I know... I got spoiled by Staal, and I realize d-men take longer to develop. Stepan started fairly quickly after being drafted. I'm still bitter about McI over Fowler. :rant:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know... I got spoiled by Staal, and I realize d-men take longer to develop. Stepan started fairly quickly after being drafted. I'm still bitter about McI over Fowler. :rant:

Staal wasn't a full time NHL'er until 2007-2008, drafted in 2005. Two addtl' seasons.

Stepan wasn't full time until 2010-2011, drafted in 2008. Two more seasons.

Is it asking that much to wait one more year, especially when we can afford to?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
if he's not sure, then he should stay.

one more year will not hurt him or coming out early will not help us.

Stay in school young man

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Another year as a Golden Gopher will not hurt him. If he wants to stay in school, he should stay in school. The Rangers are more than allowed to express their wishes to him if they think he's ready, but ultimately, it's not like another year at school will hurt his development. Especially the way he gained responsibility from his freshman to sophomore campaigns. He'll come out after his Junior year like Kreider and McDonagh did.

Take the confidence of the team thinking you're ready and kill it up in Minnesota for another year :yo:

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Staal wasn't a full time NHL'er until 2007-2008, drafted in 2005. Two addtl' seasons.

Stepan wasn't full time until 2010-2011, drafted in 2008. Two more seasons.

Is it asking that much to wait one more year, especially when we can afford to?

No, I'm just impatient. :cry:

I guess my main concern is that if it takes 3+ years for a player to be ready for the NHL, Slats is going to fill that gap with an absolutely stupid UFA contract. That's my bigger concern than someone like McI taking 4+ years.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Lower risk means lower ceiling. There is no magic here. If two kids are ranked about the same, then if one is better at something, he must be worse at something else (or else they wouldn't be ranked the same).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad