Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Bought Bauer nexus 5000s. Out of the box great perfect fit for my ever widening feet. I have not skated in 7 plus years, and back then I was still tending the net. The skates absolutely kill my feet after 15 minutes of skating, and I have far less time now to skate. So I'm going to back them, any cons besides breaking down faster? When the 5000s wear out I'll plunk more down for the next pair.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I have very flat feet, and the last time I broke in Bauers (regular and goalie) I had a major squeeze going on with the sides of my feet from the ball through the midsection until the break in was complete. I coached and played six days a week back then, plenty of break in time. I'm having the same symptoms now, and I just want to bake to get the skates to be a tad more forgiving.

Prior to buying the nexus 5000s I measured and measured again, went to the local rink, tried them on they felt great. Skating is fine I like the skate, but after an hour my feet are just wanting to scream. I picked the nexus because they matched my foot pattern. I like the fit, but I've never had such a stiff skate either. My last two pairs of skates were goalie Bauer supreme 5000s and regular Bauer supreme 5000s circa 1997 and I used those through 2008 for hundreds of games and skates. Lots of repairs later I want new stuff. I'm most likey needlessly whining about newer stiffer tech.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The bake should definitely help with breaking in the width. You also have the option to stretch the skates to make it permanently wider, but I would give the full bake a try first.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
Update, got the the 4052s. Going to bake them tomorrow and skate on sunday. Skating in my old skates for todays hockey lesson and open skate.

popinjay

Apr 11, 2015
Help with new skates

Background: grew up playing hockey for over 20 years, strong skater but just started to play again after about 10 years. Old skates were a tad bit too small and really beat up so I bought a new pair of pretty high end skates...CCM RBZ (yay for clearance sales and new models coming in). I would usually wear CCM (tacks) as they seemed to fit my wide feet best.

I went out last week with my old skates since I was getting the new ones molded at the pro shop. My skating was fine and I was able to do all standard stuff like two foot stop, one foot stop, crossover, skate fast, etc.

I took my new ones out for public skate today. The fit is good and they feel fine. Might take a little breaking in, but definitely these new head molded materials make it much easier than what I remember. My problem is I can't seem to come out of a crossover on my toes very well, or accelerate off my toes. Basically anything I try to do in an aggressive forward stance (which is how I mostly skate). In my mind this has to do with how my old skates blades were worn down over the years. If you take a look at them here (image link) you will see a much more rounded blade near the toe. I don't know much about blade profiling, or the radius, pitch, etc. Is there anyway I can get my new skate blades more similar to the old ones?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
AIREAYE is the expert here so he might give you different and better advise, but the RBZ is already considered a forward leaning skate compared to other current models. I would just skate in them and adjust. It won't take that long. You might actually like this skate better once you get used to it.

popinjay

Apr 11, 2015
AIREAYE is the expert here so he might give you different and better advise, but the RBZ is already considered a forward leaning skate compared to other current models. I would just skate in them and adjust. It won't take that long. You might actually like this skate better once you get used to it.

No you're right, and I probably have to break them in and get used to them a bit more. The blade differences are drastic though... even more so if you are looking at them in person. I feel like if I can get the front a bit more rounded like my old skates, then they would be perfect. I haven't bought new skates in at least 15 years so I'm not sure if it's just the skate I need to change the blade up a bit, or if I will just get used to these new ones after a couple skates and that's it.

edit: here is the other thing: when I put my old skates on last week, they felt fine. I could accelerate of the toes and crossover no problem. I couldn't possibly still be used to the skates after wearing them twice in 10 years? (muscle memory would be gone???) They should essentially act as brand new skates right, other than being worn and softer than brand new ones.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The RBZs aren't forward pitched. Neutral.

I suggest talking with your pro shop guys to figure out a solution. I would say pitch them forward so you're more on the balls of your feet. If that doesn't work, have them grind down the toes/heels. Different guys prefer different steps, so ultimately, it's a touch-and-go process. Try those methods and see what works/doesn't work. Everyone is different.

popinjay

Apr 11, 2015
Alright, I think I will keep them as is and test them out a few more times. If I still can't get on the balls of my feet very well, or they continue to feel weird then I will talk to the pro shop guys about getting the pitch moved to a forward lean. I feel a bit better knowing that if I don't get used to feel of the new blade, I can possibly get them adjusted for my style and feel of the old ones.

steevdeadman

Feb 25, 2014
Boogie Down Bronx
Skate Stiffness question.

I'm a hefty guy (5'7 240ish) and I am working on learning skating and playing hockey. I started with very soft skates (Bauer Supreme 140s) and I was scared I was going to break my ankle they were so soft. Then I moved up to Reebok 12k skates, they were ok for a while, but I'm now getting that feeling like the skate is too soft and doesn't react to my movements. Should I move up to a stiffer skate or are my ankles too weak?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, it's hard for us to tell given that we don't know how well you can skate...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you can afford it, I would upgrade. Although fit is paramount of course, see if you can get lucky and find a sale skate that's mid end or mid-high. Examples could be One.7s or One.8s in Supreme, 30K, 28K, 18K, 17K or 16K in Reebok.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I took my new ones out for public skate today. The fit is good and they feel fine. Might take a little breaking in, but definitely these new head molded materials make it much easier than what I remember. My problem is I can't seem to come out of a crossover on my toes very well, or accelerate off my toes. Basically anything I try to do in an aggressive forward stance (which is how I mostly skate). In my mind this has to do with how my old skates blades were worn down over the years. If you take a look at them here (image link) you will see a much more rounded blade near the toe. I don't know much about blade profiling, or the radius, pitch, etc. Is there anyway I can get my new skate blades more similar to the old ones?

That's quite a different radius from your old to new skates. Take both pairs to a Pro shop where they know for sure how do a proper radius and have your new ones cut that way. You old ones look like they are < a 7' radius im gonna say you have great balance !

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I've got some Crazy Lights and I like them a lot. Good fit for my wide forefoot but I've got some minor heel lift. I always have a little trouble of getting the top eyelet to stay tight without wrapping the laces around the guard (I hear that is bad for the skates to wrap around).

How well does pump feature on reeboks help prevent heel lift? I'm thinking about getting ribcores for next skates when the price drops. I was thinking of getting the RBZ's with the price drop now but I imagine heel lift would be more prominent with them having more volume than the CL's.

Last edited:

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some new ice skates. I've always been a fan of Bauer. I still have and fit in my Bauer supreme 8090's (very old I know). Just got back into hockey. I just want to know what skates are good for playing hockey. I don't play a whole lot and don't think I need $400+ skates, but was interested in which skates everyone thinks is best, whether it's Bauer or not. Thanks.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've got some Crazy Lights and I like them a lot. Good fit for my wide forefoot but I've got some minor heel lift. I always have a little trouble of getting the top eyelet to stay tight without wrapping the laces around the guard (I hear that is bad for the skates to wrap around).

How well does pump feature on reeboks help prevent heel lift? I'm thinking about getting ribcores for next skates when the price drops. I was thinking of getting the RBZ's with the price drop now but I imagine heel lift would be more prominent with them having more volume than the CL's.
It sounds like the CLs aren't the best fit for you. Have you tried wax laces? I personally really like the Elite Oval Laces myself. You could also try a pair of Stable 26 socks to fill in some volume. I find that they're very good for securing the ankle/heel if there's enough volume in that general area.

Regarding Pumps, think of it this way; you shouldn't have to rely on them to get proper heel lock. They're an accessory. RBZs fit differently than CL, better out-of-box so you may like them better regardless of any perceived volume difference.
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some new ice skates. I've always been a fan of Bauer. I still have and fit in my Bauer supreme 8090's (very old I know). Just got back into hockey. I just want to know what skates are good for playing hockey. I don't play a whole lot and don't think I need $400+ skates, but was interested in which skates everyone thinks is best, whether it's Bauer or not. Thanks.

Read the guide.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
It sounds like the CLs aren't the best fit for you. Have you tried wax laces? I personally really like the Elite Oval Laces myself. You could also try a pair of Stable 26 socks to fill in some volume. I find that they're very good for securing the ankle/heel if there's enough volume in that general area.

Regarding Pumps, think of it this way; you shouldn't have to rely on them to get proper heel lock. They're an accessory. RBZs fit differently than CL, better out-of-box so you may like them better regardless of any perceived volume difference.

Read the guide.

I haven't heard of the Elite Oval laces or the stable 26 socks. I'm going to look in to getting some of those. I do have waxed laces which have helped some. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad