Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
So erm...its time for new skates for me. I have old Bauer Supreme 4000's. They're falling apart. I love the fit and the ankle lock. I think these were one of the first heat molded to your foot skate. Should I try the Bauer Supremes? I'm open to everything and would like to be around $300-$400. I'm basically looking for new 4000's, heh. Seems like everyone wears the Vapor's now...

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I know the standard after baking is to wait 24 hours before skating. Is this the case with the newer models?

I just got my brand new Supreme 190s and am pretty anxious to try them out.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's not an exact science, just don't skate on them the same day you got them. Be patient...

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Been out for a while, about to sign up for a drop-in inline league for the summer, but wanted some skate advice.

I own some Mission AC4s, which I used for one season and they were ok, but I wonder if they might be hurting my technique/progression. Reason being, they just feel a little large on my feet, which in turn might be affecting my speed/control.

My toes probably have 1/2 an inch tops before I get to the end (too much?), and I seem to have to tie them pretty tight to feel like they're firmly strapped to my feet and not 'wobbling' left to right.

Should I simply go into my LHS and try half-a-size down? Or should I be looking at something like Superfeet, or a different boot? I have Shock Doctors in them already, but honestly haven't noticed too much in the way of improvement.

The more I write this question, the more the obvious answer is to go in and try on half-a-size down, but if anyone has any advice I'd be happy to hear. Main issue I have with hockey stores is I've had a few pairs of ice/inline skates 'professionally fitted' and unfortunately they have never quite been exactly on the money (end up either being slightly too tight, or slightly too loose). The other issue with inline skates is that I have discovered that I seem to have a skinny ankle but wider foot. So a Vapor E is a pretty good fit, but they don't do those in inline until you hit the more expensive top-end (unlike ice skates).

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Been out for a while, about to sign up for a drop-in inline league for the summer, but wanted some skate advice.

I own some Mission AC4s, which I used for one season and they were ok, but I wonder if they might be hurting my technique/progression. Reason being, they just feel a little large on my feet, which in turn might be affecting my speed/control.

My toes probably have 1/2 an inch tops before I get to the end (too much?), and I seem to have to tie them pretty tight to feel like they're firmly strapped to my feet and not 'wobbling' left to right.

Should I simply go into my LHS and try half-a-size down? Or should I be looking at something like Superfeet, or a different boot? I have Shock Doctors in them already, but honestly haven't noticed too much in the way of improvement.

The more I write this question, the more the obvious answer is to go in and try on half-a-size down, but if anyone has any advice I'd be happy to hear. Main issue I have with hockey stores is I've had a few pairs of ice/inline skates 'professionally fitted' and unfortunately they have never quite been exactly on the money (end up either being slightly too tight, or slightly too loose). The other issue with inline skates is that I have discovered that I seem to have a skinny ankle but wider foot. So a Vapor E is a pretty good fit, but they don't do those in inline until you hit the more expensive top-end (unlike ice skates).

If you have a half inch of room the skates are likely at least 1 full size too long if not a size and a half. You want the skate to be as tight as possible without severe pain - your toes should brush the cap.

Read or reread the original post in this thread - especially the information about sizing. Go to a store and try on various brands and sizes until you can find something wear your heel is locked in, you don't feel severe pain or pressure or it doesn't feel loose and sloppy and your toes feather the cap.

To get your ideal fit you may have to go with a higher end model, but you don't have to go for a higher end current model. If you go for an older model that's being cleared out you can end up getting a high end skate for close to the price of a low-mid end skate.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
If you have a half inch of room the skates are likely at least 1 full size too long if not a size and a half. You want the skate to be as tight as possible without severe pain - your toes should brush the cap.

Read or reread the original post in this thread - especially the information about sizing. Go to a store and try on various brands and sizes until you can find something wear your heel is locked in, you don't feel severe pain or pressure or it doesn't feel loose and sloppy and your toes feather the cap.

To get your ideal fit you may have to go with a higher end model, but you don't have to go for a higher end current model. If you go for an older model that's being cleared out you can end up getting a high end skate for close to the price of a low-mid end skate.
Thanks for the response, I figured as much. Yeah, the main issue for me is any foot pain generally doesn't mainfest itself until later on (like, I've been out skating hard for a good 10-15 minutes). Anyhow, I will make the trip to my local soon.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the response, I figured as much. Yeah, the main issue for me is any foot pain generally doesn't mainfest itself until later on (like, I've been out skating hard for a good 10-15 minutes). Anyhow, I will make the trip to my local soon.

Some roller specific things to note that may be helpful if your store only has a few roller models:

- Mission skates are based on a Bauer Supreme last; so fit similar. If your store doesn't carry higher end mission skates, but have something like a One.8, One.9 or Total One in stock you can try those on to get an idea of sizing.

- The Vapor roller hockey skates fit, not surprisingly, like the Vapor ice skates.

- The CCM and RBK Roller Hockey skates fit like the corresponding model of ice skates.

- I don't have a lot of experience with Alkali skates, but from what I've read most people go up a half size in Alkali vs Bauer, Mission, CCM and RBK. ie. if you're a 7 in Bauer you'd go up to a 7.5 for Alkali in length.

- Easton does not have a roller hockey boot based off the Mako, but you could still try them on if you can find the original model on clearance or barely used for a good price. The Mako skates happened to fit my feet well and I picked up one pair on clearance new at a local shop for ice and another pair barely used (owned by the previous owner for less than 2 weeks, verified with a receipt, and he says he only skated on them a couple times) to convert to roller. A good shop can mount a roller chassis for you for around $30.

- Bauer also doesn't make a roller boot based on the Nexus line, but again if the Nexus ice boots fit well and you can find one in your size for a good price you can consider going the conversion route.

So I'd try on any roller hockey skates you can, but also try on ice skates as well. Figure out what fits you best and once you do; try to pick up a previous model that's on clearance. If it's a roller boot you're already set, but if it's an ice boot; doing a conversion is possible. You can either use the chassis off your old boots or pick up a new or used chassis of your choice.

Hopefully the clearance pair is available at/through the local shop. If it isn't and they spent a lot of time sizing you then you might want to offer them a bit of cash ($20-$40 depending on how much time they spent with you), but that's your call. Ideally, you'll find a pair of skates that fits well and is available in your size at a price you like in one place, but that doesn't always happen.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Great advice Anthony, thanks. If we have more roller players on here asking for tips, it might be a good idea to ask you to write up something!

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
It's Monkey Sports, so their selection is pretty vast (from recollection, they had every brand/model but Tours last time I was there).

Again, thank you for the detailed help!

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Great advice Anthony, thanks. If we have more roller players on here asking for tips, it might be a good idea to ask you to write up something!

I hope more people are here asking about roller. It's a fun sport, but doesn't have anywhere near the participation level it had when I started playing years ago. I'll be happy to help when possible.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
It's Monkey Sports, so their selection is pretty vast (from recollection, they had every brand/model but Tours last time I was there).

Again, thank you for the detailed help!

No problem. Yes, when I've visited the US I do notice that bigger stores like Hockey Monkey, Total Hockey ect. do seem to have a good selection of roller hockey skates.

In the Toronto area that's not always the case - the big chains like Sport Chek seem to only carry lower end Missions and not much else. Just Hockey hasn't carried any roller specific skates for years (but do a great job with conversions - that's where I got my Makos converted).

It's good you're in an area where more roller hockey skates and brands are accessible to try on, but if you don't find the right fit in any of the roller hockey skates; don't be afraid to try on some ice skates as well.

Converting skates is usually more expensive by the time you factor in new wheels and bearings (if needed), a chassis (if needed) and the mounting costs, but is worth it to me because it allows me to get the best fit and I prefer to use a chassis like Sprungs that provides a more ice like feel than the flat chassis available on stock skates. Plus, if you happen to buy skates that use the same steel and holder as your ice skates; you now have a spare set of holders and steel.

With that said, if you're fine with a flat chassis and there are no ice only boots that fit better; you can find amazing deals on clearout high end model roller hockey skates. I considered them when picking up new skates for roller a couple months ago, but no other skates that I had access to fit me as well as the Easton Makos (Tour and Alkali are two brands not readily available in my area and they don't have ice hockey boot equivalents), I find all stock wheels too soft for me and I'd still have to pay for a conversion because I'm addicted to the Sprung chassis and wouldn't want to go back to a flat (or hilo) setup unless there were no other options.

bluuuurr

Apr 14, 2013
Germany
Skate figment question

I started playing about two years ago and I've been using some hand-me-down intermediate level Bauer Vapors. My ankle locks into them very solid, however they are about one to one and a half sizes too big for me. I have about a full inch from where my toes end and the skate begins. I am too inexperienced to know if the fact that my skates are too big are holding me back any. Would I have anything to gain from getting some proper sized skates or does it not really matter as long as I can get them tight enough around my ankle?

edit-

Skate FITMENT, not figment.. can't change the title =[

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Oh yes...you would have everything to gain. Please go to your local shop and get properly fitted for a pair of skates. When you get your skates, please be sure to have them baked so they mold properly to your foot. I think any reputable hockey shop would bake the skates for free if you buy the skates there.
Welcome to the world of playing hockey and Good Luck!!

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
You've been playing for two years on skates that are over a size too large for you?! That's craziness. You'll definitely notice an improvement after playing in your correct size.

The fact that you're able to go for two years at all must mean they fit your foot on the sides pretty well. It's not just about toe room, so it's better to get properly sized so that you're comfortable in your boot. I wear a size down from my normal skates for goalie, but the brand just happens to be a longer, wider fit, so they're perfect. Would definitely not have known that if I was just responding to a craigslist ad, while some other goalie skates in my size were the correct length, but way too narrow.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
As you advised, went in today and ended up a full size down in some Vapors. Went out for a skate and the level of control was a lot better. Still some slight outside foot pain but I probably just need to get my feet used to skating again or break them in a bit more. Thanks again!

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Are vapor heels narrower than supreme? I always see how the supremes are an anatomical fit vs the vapors narrow fit, but I don't know which heel is narrower.

another question, are vapors shallower than supremes? I fail the pencil test once I get my Graf footbeds in the supremes but I haven't been able to try on any vapors.

thanks

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Are vapor heels narrower than supreme? I always see how the supremes are an anatomical fit vs the vapors narrow fit, but I don't know which heel is narrower.

another question, are vapors shallower than supremes? I fail the pencil test once I get my Graf footbeds in the supremes but I haven't been able to try on any vapors.

thanks

When I tried on all 3 (Nexus, Supreme, Vapor) this past Saturday, the Supreme's were really tight in the inner and outer malleolus region - the ball(s) on your ankle. However, they were more open near my heel. It felt as though it was grabbing my ankle instead of heel to stop my foot from lifting and creating the lock. The Nexus Just felt gigantic and more like shoes/boots. The Vapor were narrow in the heel, which felt better and I could adjust the tightness with the laces near the ball of my ankle. After baking, the Vapors felt awesome and more versatile fit.

If that makes sense......

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

thanks

Read Page 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad