Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Ryan Donato to Sharks for a 3rd rounder in 2021

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
Ok but look at the Sharks... if Joe Thornton stays in Switzerland, they'll have nothing left from the Sturm/Stuart trade that people loved so much for them

Joe Thornton made the Sharks a cup contender for a decade plus. I wouldn't call that nothing. I'd certainly take that over whatever kind of dumpster fire the Sharks are, and going to be, for the foreseeable future.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Joe Thornton made the Sharks a cup contender for a decade plus. I wouldn't call that nothing. I'd certainly take that over whatever kind of dumpster fire the Sharks are, and going to be, for the foreseeable future.

The Sharks aren't a contender right now, but they're nowhere near a dumpster fire. Literally everything went wrong this year, and once they got rid of DeBoer they started actually looking like a hockey team.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Pacific is absolute garbage. With a full season of Boog behind the bench (+Thompson and Madden now), and if our top guys can stay healthy, there's no reason to believe they won't at least come close to getting a playoff spot.
Their top forwards aren't that good and their depth is horrendous, although it did get somewhat better with Donato. I think with the right system and some luck they can be in contention for the playoffs, but they won't be an actual cup contender for at least 5 years, barring a miracle in the draft lottery.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Pacific is absolute garbage. With a full season of Boog behind the bench (+Thompson and Madden now), and if our top guys can stay healthy, there's no reason to believe they won't at least come close to getting a playoff spot.
What’s San Jose’s lineup going to look like next season with Donato and where does SJ use him at?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
What’s San Jose’s lineup going to look like next season with Donato and where does SJ use him at?
Likely he will be split time on the third line with Jumbo and Gregor, competing with Labanc for the 6th top 6 forward slot. The team is also going to have about 5.5-6M to sign one more forward for the top line, or two guys at 3.5M, which would probably push Labanc and Donato down to the third line together.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Kane-Hertl-$5-$6M acquisition
Donato/Labanc-Couture-Meier
Gregor-Thornton-Donato/Labanc
Marleau-Kellman/Handemark-Sorensen/Nosen?
Kellman/Handemark

Vlasic-Karlsson
Simek-Burns
Ferraro-(?)
Paschinuk/Desimone

Jones
Dubnyk

Possible that Merkley (D) or Leonard (F) force their way into the line-up. It's clear that the team needs a top 6 forward, but I'm okay with rotating one of Labanc or Donato into the top 6.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
As a Wild fan, I don’t think Donato is necessarily slow or physically weak. At the NHL level though, his edge work and subsequently balance is about the worst that you will see at this level. That makes him appear to be a poor skater and not strong on or off the puck.

He’s a good enough skater in straight lines. Great, quick and heavy shot. Surprisingly a good playmaker in some scenarios.

It’s hard to see him developing his skating given the deficiency he faces is not easily developed at this point in his career. If given the opportunity, he could put up some points as a third wheel on a line. Difficult to see that will be in San Jose where he will likely find himself in a similar position as he was in Minnesota.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
As a Wild fan, I don’t think Donato is necessarily slow or physically weak. At the NHL level though, his edge work and subsequently balance is about the worst that you will see at this level. That makes him appear to be a poor skater and not strong on or off the puck.

He’s a good enough skater in straight lines. Great, quick and heavy shot. Surprisingly a good playmaker in some scenarios.

It’s hard to see him developing his skating given the deficiency he faces is not easily developed at this point in his career. If given the opportunity, he could put up some points as a third wheel on a line. Difficult to see that will be in San Jose where he will likely find himself in a similar position as he was in Minnesota.
The sharks have been pretty effective at improving skating over the last 10 years or so. Even with seasoned vets. Hes going to get an opportunity to move up and down the lineup because the Sharks dont have enough offensive talent up front. Honestly if he cant make it in San Jose right now hes probably not going to.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He won't be a 4th liner with SJ so let's throw out the bottom 3 of the bottom 6. I don't think he should accept anything, that's not a very good way to be a motivated athlete. I think he'll fit in nicely, and with the potential of flanking Thornton, he could put up some good numbers.

Well obviously he shouldn’t stop trying to get better. The fact is though, he’s not the offensive player some thought he would be. We would’ve seen more by now and Minnesota wouldn’t be moving on. Scoring is pretty natural for most top six players at the NHL level.

To often guys like Donato end up flaming out because they continue to see themselves as that type of player and really offer nothing else to the organization. Those who accept who they are, end up carving themselves a nice career being bottom six players, who can play up if needed.

When I say he should accept who he is as a player, that’s what I’m talking about. The guys who put in the hard work to be bottom six players, instead of the hundreds who can’t cut it in a scoring role, get put down in the bottom six and don’t really know how to be a role player. We see it every year. These guys are out of the league after their second contract because there’s cheaper options in the salary cap era..

Dan Cleary is the greatest example in the history of the sport. Top pick who was supposed to light it up and failed miserably in that role. He was toast ever being a top 6 player, was out of options, on his way to Europe but ended up getting a tryout with Detroit. He bought into playing a role hundreds of others don’t and ended up playing another 10 years. Most of those type of players end up in Europe for a few years and then end up in the real world.

Donato has all the attributes to be a really good bottom six player. He should embrace that, is all I’m saying. If he doesn’t, he’ll end up out of options and SJ will probably be his last stop in the NHL minus a couple of PTOs.

It really is rare for a player who expected to be a top six player and ends up a role player. 90% of your bottom six players are either young players who are climbing the organizational ladder, older guys who are winding it down, or guys who’ve spent 3-5 years in the AHL becoming good bottom six players. Most players in Donato’s position don’t make that transition. Even if they have played in the AHL, they were down there in a scoring role.

For a third round pick it’s worth it, but if he doesn’t accept who he is as a player and work at it, he won’t last more than a season or two.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Well obviously he shouldn’t stop trying to get better. The fact is though, he’s not the offensive player some thought he would be. We would’ve seen more by now and Minnesota wouldn’t be moving on. Scoring is pretty natural for most top six players at the NHL level.
Leading the team in 5v5 goals, while playing under 11 minutes a night, with mostly 3rd and 4th line teammates isn't seeing enough?

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Leading the team in 5v5 goals, while playing under 11 minutes a night, with mostly 3rd and 4th line teammates isn't seeing enough?
Exactly. How were the Wild ever going to find out if he is scoring line calibre when he rarely saw time on a scoring line while many other garbage players did. He played for 2 idiot coaches. Hopefully he gets a shot with San Jose.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Exactly. How were the Wild ever going to find out if he is scring line clibre when he rarely saw time on a scoring line. He played for 2 idiot coaches. Hopefully he gets a shot with San Jose.

Funny thing is that we did see it at the end of the 2018-19 season. Boudreau just chose to ignore it.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It’s hard to see him developing his skating given the deficiency he faces is not easily developed at this point in his career.

The Sharks have done a good job of helping a number of players to take their skating up a rung over the years. Time will tell with Donato.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Like the Staal trade I feel extremely underwhelmed with this return..

That's nothing. Wait until the Parise/Ladd deal goes down....

The 1st talk was never all that grounded, but a 2021 3rd for a guy that has clear 20 goal upside is pretty weak.

I'm no detective, but sure sounds like you think a 2nd rounder would have been a fair deal.

The Sharks aren't a contender right now, but they're nowhere near a dumpster fire. Literally everything went wrong this year, and once they got rid of DeBoer they started actually looking like a hockey team.

Fair, but sure picked a hell of a year to trade that 1st rounder...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Erep

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm no detective, but sure sounds like you think a 2nd rounder would have been a fair deal.
I think a 2020 pick in the 50-80 range would have been pretty fair. The fact that it's not a 2020 pick and belongs to the Penguins instead of the Sharks makes it feel more lackluster, though for all I know it'll end up turning out better. The value's underwhelming, but it's not completely off either.

You mentioned the rumored Parise/Ladd swap, and what probably bugs me more than anything is that this trade is at least a partial indication that Parise's not going anywhere anytime soon.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hindsight is 20/20. The Sharks were two wins away from another SCF the year before.

Hindsight is definitely 20/20, but I feel like at the time Wilson should've at least had 20/40 vision. No one thought it would be that bad, but with the core getting older, Karlsson not what he was (that contract is a whole other story), and Pavelski being out the door it was set up to have some sort of setback.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Hindsight is definitely 20/20, but I feel like at the time Wilson should've at least had 20/40 vision. No one thought it would be that bad, but with the core getting older, Karlsson not what he was (that contract is a whole other story), and Pavelski being out the door it was set up to have some sort of setback.

I don't entirely disagree, the Sharks were bound to take a step back, but they were still expected to be at least a playoff team, especially in a division like the Pacific. I still agree that they're not currently a contender, but they have a new coaching staff led by a guy who made marked improvements toward the end of the year (that were unfortunately too little too late), have already added forward depth in Donato now, and some of our younger players now (i.e. Ferraro, Letunov, Kellman) have a year's worth of experience to build on.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

You don’t move on from a player his age for a 3rd round pick if you think he’s a top 6 player. Especially from a team that has problems scoring who already won’t have Staal and Koivu back. Who acquired Johansson and Bjugstadt. That’s a pretty damning indictment from Guerin.

I’m complimenting the guy for having the skill set to be a very good bottom six player if he chooses to be. You have to ask yourself though, why the Wild are giving up on him? Do they not think he’s committed enough to become a role player? It’s a fair question because he has the tools, he’s not old and he’s not a cap casualty. He also has a pretty good shot. So why are they moving on after such a short stint in Minnesota?? Boston was more understandable getting Coyote for him as he’s exactly what the Bruins need more of.

We’ve seen this a hundred times and very rarely does a player that moves multiple times before he’s 25, ever amount to anything in the way of being a scoring threat. Hopefully he proves that fact wrong but there’s a reason he was moved today, and it wasn’t for the asset the Wild might see in 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad