Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Ryan Donato to Sharks for a 3rd rounder in 2021

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
1. in that case why do you want to trade a young controlled future 30 goal scorer?

2. and why should we accept the take of bruins fans on debrusk? did you hold the above negative opinions about the other guys you mention before they were traded, or did you pump their tires hard the same as you are pumping debrusk's tires now?
1. You need to give to get. Debrusk is likely a valuable piece if we want to trade for a better player in a different position. If not, I'm sure many would be happy to keep him as plan B. Take him for what he is, Bruins are either trying to move him for a top 4 defenseman, and/or are trying to sign FA top 6 wingers. We'll see if they are able to do that. As a fan, I'm losing faith in Sweeney's ability to do that, but remaining cautiously optimistic.

2. You don't need to accept anyone's take. The same way no one has to accept yours or mine on any player in the NHL. Every fan base has those that over and under rate their own players. What we say on message boards doesn't affect the actual value when the GM's make the trades, so "pumping tires" as you put, is just to make fan bases feel better about their players or potential ones coming in.

As for the players mentioned, my take for as little or as much you want to from it:
Spooner was very polarizing to the Bruins fanbase. Myself included thought Spooner would eventually usurp Krejci in his role. That obviously didn't happen. He was playing decently before he was traded, the concern was if he'd be able to maintain it. The answer for a very short period of time was yes, and then it was a hard no.

Donato was an NHL ready prospect, but not at the calibre of a cup contending team. Some were sad to see him go, but everyone knew Coyle was a much better fit for the Bruins at the time, because the Bruins couldn't wait to see if Donato found his game. Teams not in as much of a crunch to win, can afford the time to develop his game more. If he does, remains to be seen, but the potential is there.

Heinen, again, polarizing figure on the Bruins. Put up very solid numbers his first full season. He's a jack-of-all-trades, master at none, which more or less didn't make him stick out, but he put up adequate numbers considering his role. Bruins needed more size, and rightfully or wrongfully chose Nick Ritchie as the option with Heinen as the player going out. I still think Heinen is going to have a better career than Nick Ritchie Even though I do think Nick Ritchie will eventually settle in better on the Bruins.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
well right now heinen has only played the short stretch right after the tdl trade where bruin castoffs always seem to look their best.

give it time.

Looking at their last 3 years of production, Heinen has slightly better production, but plays a less physical brand of hockey and both guys comparable defensively.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He does well with a limited role against weaker defenders. He has puck skills but is very weak and easy to knock off the puck. I'm not surprised by the 3rd rounder return. Would've been better if it was this year... but meh.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Good trade for the Sharks. They get an NHLer for a third round pick. The chance that Pick becomes an NHL player is already in doubt the day of the draft but then you have to wait 3-5 years to see if the player turns into an NHLer.

Donato has not lived up to expectations but he’s still a serviceable player and once he accepts he’s probably a bottom six player and concentrates on that, he should have a pretty good career playing hockey.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What exactly is the gameplan here for the Minnesota Wild? About the 6th trade they've made in the last while that doesn't make sense to me.

Donato might be something. Been more flash than actual substance so far in his career. Still has a year to RFA so it's not like he needed a big raise or anything.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Good deal for San Jose , Donato can still be a 2nd line player. Even if he tops out at a 20 goal 20 assist guy thats still a valuable player for a pick which probably womt amount to anything.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What exactly is the gameplan here for the Minnesota Wild? About the 6th trade they've made in the last while that doesn't make sense to me.

Why doesn't this trade make sense? On a team that is overloaded at the LW position, wouldn't it make sense to move a player that the GM doesn't see as a fit?

I mean if its just that GMBG should've gotten a 2nd instead of a 3rd, that's just nitpicking. I'm sure if a team was willing to offer a 2nd rounder than Donato would've been moved to that team. As it stands, Guerin needed to clear out that roster spot and this was probably the best deal he was going to get.

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
Good trade for the Sharks. They get an NHLer for a third round pick. The chance that Pick becomes an NHL player is already in doubt the day of the draft but then you have to wait 3-5 years to see if the player turns into an NHLer.

Donato has not lived up to expectations but he’s still a serviceable player and once he accepts he’s probably a bottom six player and concentrates on that, he should have a pretty good career playing hockey.
He won't be a 4th liner with SJ so let's throw out the bottom 3 of the bottom 6. I don't think he should accept anything, that's not a very good way to be a motivated athlete. I think he'll fit in nicely, and with the potential of flanking Thornton, he could put up some good numbers.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Donato might be something. Been more flash than actual substance so far in his career. Still has a year to RFA so it's not like he needed a big raise or anything.
There was no room for Donato on the roster last year and it'll only be worse after adding Kaprizov this year. Guerin had to ship out a LW and Donato was clearly the odd man out. A 2021 3rd isn't a great return, but it's clearly where the market's at right now.

Reactions: TaLoN

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I always liked Ryan Donato. His dad was also one of my favorite Bruins players growing up. Good 2nd/3rd liner, lots of hustle.

Is Ryan going to become the next Chuck Kobasew? Or is it possible for him to carve out a better spot as a 2nd/3rd line threat in San Jose than in MIN?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I always liked Ryan Donato. His dad was also one of my favorite Bruins players growing up. Good 2nd/3rd liner, lots of hustle.

Is Ryan going to become the next Chuck Kobasew? Or is it possible for him to carve out a better spot as a 2nd/3rd line threat in San Jose than in MIN?

The Sharks don't have much winger depth right now, so there'll be space for him. Considering how often some of our guys get injured, he'll probably get top-6 time at some point.

Reactions: themelkman

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Why doesn't this trade make sense? On a team that is overloaded at the LW position, wouldn't it make sense to move a player that the GM doesn't see as a fit?

I mean if its just that GMBG should've gotten a 2nd instead of a 3rd, that's just nitpicking. I'm sure if a team was willing to offer a 2nd rounder than Donato would've been moved to that team. As it stands, Guerin needed to clear out that roster spot and this was probably the best deal he was going to get.
There was no room for Donato on the roster last year and it'll only be worse after adding Kaprizov this year. Guerin had to ship out a LW and Donato was clearly the odd man out. A 2021 3rd isn't a great return, but it's clearly where the market's at right now.

Targeting a 3rd rd pick with a cheap young productive RFA from your position of strength just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Should have put him in a Dumba package or another package that addresses the team's needs this year.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Targeting a 3rd rd pick with a cheap young productive RFA from your position of strength just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Should have put him in a Dumba package or another package that addresses the team's needs this year.
havent we learned from TOR fans that just throwing in spare parts doesnt make the deal look better?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It doesn't sound like a Dumba trade is at all imminent right now, so waiting just runs the risk of being stuck with Donato once the dust settles after free agency. It may have been more lucrative to wait, but I can see how maximizing value on this deal is a low priority right now.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He was the main piece for a young RHS center less than two years ago. And then set a new career highs in points.
youre talking about packaging him with dumba to get a top 6 c that we need. what about donato entices people enough to consider it? he has quality hands and a shot but as much as i wanted him in our top 6 its very clear he is not best suited there in nhl front office minds. i dont see how it adds enough value to dumba to get what we want.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Price is fine I guess, but why the heck are we wasting cap on a third liner when we have a gaping hole in the top 6.

I’m not gunna flip out on DW yet, but so far this offseason is not going in a direction that makes me think SJ will be any closer to a cup this year.

To a cup? Y’all just finished with the 3OA!

I get both the cup and repeating a bottom 5 team are both extremes but the latter is more likely to repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad