Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Ryan Donato to Sharks for a 3rd rounder in 2021

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It doesn't sound like a Dumba trade is at all imminent right now, so waiting just runs the risk of being stuck with Donato once the dust settles after free agency. It may have been more lucrative to wait, but I can see how maximizing value on this deal is a low priority right now.
youre talking about packaging him with dumba to get a top 6 c that we need. what about donato entices people enough to consider it? he has quality hands and a shot but as much as i wanted him in our top 6 its very clear he is not best suited there in nhl front office minds. i dont see how it adds enough value to dumba to get what we want.

I didn't see the Dubnyk trade initially so this one makes more sense to me now.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why dump him for a third ??

I don't know. It wouldn't have been my first choice. Maybe it was necessary for the Dubnyk move to follow. Our top 9 winger spots are filled up as long as Parise is on the roster, so at this point in time, there isn't room for him, and maybe Guerin realizes that a Parise move is no longer in the cards.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
So all Minnesota will have to show for Charlie Coyle is a 2021 3rd? Not the greatest moves
They also got a 4th round pick in 2019, so 3rd and 4th for Coyle. And Donato played for them 1+ season (didn't do much but still). It's certainly not a good return for Coyle, but I don't think this trade in a vacuum is that bad.

Donato has lots of flaws in his game and lost the numbers game in Minnesota. Maybe he can do better somewhere else but I have a feeling he's going to end up as this tweener type of guy who is not quite good enough to be a scorer in the NHL. He has a great wrister and decent skill too, but his skating, strength and defensive play are lacking. He's so easy to knock off the puck and since his skating is not anything special either, it's tough for him to do much at 5on5 especially against better players.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Like the Staal trade I feel extremely underwhelmed with this return..

Ladies,gentlemen,and all fans of the Wild this phrase above will be repeated many times in your future . Chiarelli is reincarnated. Guerin is a turd . I’m sorry.
When he was hired he said he worked under great GMs and mentioned Jason Botterill. The Wild were too talented to be a bottom team and the new GM keeps knocking you down a couple spots with every move . Good luck in the years ahead.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Ladies,gentlemen,and all fans of the Wild this phrase above will be repeated many times in your future . Chiarelli is reincarnated. Guerin is a turd . I’m sorry.
When he was hired he said he worked under great GMs and mentioned Jason Botterill. The Wild were too talented to be a bottom team and the new GM keeps knocking you down a couple spots with every move . Good luck in the years ahead.
That's a good one

I don't remember him saying anything about Botterill

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Good deal for San Jose. Donato made significant strides in rounding out his game this past year, and showed that he can produce at a very effective rate from the 4th line if played with high-IQ players who can adapt and let him play his game(Hartman and Koivu for the most part, also looked fine with Hartman and Rask earlier in the year). Whether that translates directly with more minutes against better opponents remains to be seen, but if you don't need a PKer on the 4th line wing(he can play either side), Donato showed he can produce down there. Surprised Guerin couldn't get more/didn't hold out for Col 2nd with maybe our 4th added this year rather than taking another pick in 2021. From my eyes Donato was the 2nd most dangerous player on the Wild at the end of the regular season, so I was quite surprised to see Evason scratch him in the playoffs(IMO should've scratched Galchenyuk and played Donato with Koivu + Zuccarello). Writing was on the wall that he was on the way out.

Last edited:

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Good deal for San Jose. Donato made significant strides in rounding out his game this past year, and showed that he can produce at a very effective rate from the 4th line if played with high-IQ players who can adapt and let him play his game(Hartman and Koivu for the most part, also looked fine with Hartman and Rask earlier in the year). Whether that translates directly with more minutes against better opponents remains to be seen, but if you don't need a PKer on the 4th line wing(he can play either side), Donato showed he can produce down there. Surprised Guerin couldn't get more/didn't hold out for Col 2nd with maybe our 4th added this year rather than taking another pick in 2021. From my eyes Donato was the 2nd most dangerous player on the Wild at the end of the regular season, so I was quite surprised to see Evason scratch him in the playoffs(IMO should've scratched Galchenyuk and played Donato with Koivu + Zuccarello). Writing was on the wall that he was on the way out.
Evason is a worthless moron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad