Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Devan Dubnyk (50% retained) and 2022 7th round pick for 2022 5th round pick

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
At the end of the day, San Jose’s owner said they could spend to the cap. This is a move that will bring them close to it after they sign another forward but they only have to pay Dubnyk 2.5m. That means it will stop them from signing to someone ~2million but you could expect a young guy to fill the role of someone that would cost that much.

Doug also loves his proven things over young potential guys so it makes sense he wants to split 2 former starters over a younger goalie.

Reactions: qqaz and themelkman

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
She is a Wild beat reporter. But I don't think it's fair to say confirmed.

Russo was apparently on Sirius and said Dubnyk + pick for a Pick. Unclear if that's Dubnyk +4th for 5th or Dubnyk + 7th for 5th.
If people actually read her tweet she's not confirming the Dubnyk trade but confirming the Donato trade. She says the Dubnyk trade is close to being done now as well.

Reactions: themelkman

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I am surprised that Dubnyk had such low value, but I guess it makes sense with the state of the market and how bad of a year he had.

I feel like he should have brought a similar return to Allen, but maybe the market was so saturated at this point that Guerin took whatever he could. Surprised it took this long to complete if that's all he went for.

Why would he bring a similar return to Allen? You’re talking about a goalie that was great this year vs one that was terrible.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Baffling choice by the Sharks here. Dubnyk even he were a FA I'm not sure I'd sign him to be more than a 3rd goalie at league min at this point. Maybe Nabokov thinks he can fix him or something.

Reactions: Morrison and hn777

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Lol. I just remember someone said a 1st was being discussed going to the Wild lol.
That's because people are stupid.

The reported rumor that it was being discussed for a "high pick". At the time the deal was likely Donato + Dubnyk for a 2nd. As the discussions evolved the trade got broken up into individual deals with a third and 5th reportedly.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Dubnick to SJ might work

But remember he became a great goalie on the defensive système of the Wild

Contract year might help motivation for him , but Sharks D is not steady, poeple critize Martin Jones, but wait...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am one of the few in MN who thinks that Dubnyk has a resurgence in him. His first few years in MN he got overplayed. I think that he has had plenty of time to rest, get his head straight both about his family, and his game, and play his ass off in order to win another contract. He's a big goalie that is effective at blocking the net when he tracks the puck well.

The AAV is higher than you'd like, but 2.5M cash is decent for a backup that has been a legit #1 starter.

Oh, and Doobs didn't become good on the Wild. ARI fans told us when he was traded that he had been really good for them after their brilliant goalie coach/whisperer got his hands on him, and they were right.

Reactions: Makoshark

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I can guarantee 8 billion weren’t talking about this deal at all. But yes agree with your main point. :laugh:

Haha thanks.

Good luck with them both. Wish them well. If Donato can get stronger on his skates he could be something for you guys. Doobs isnt as bad as folks say. Scary stuff last year with his wife. Hoping for the best for her. Frustrations have always been with him is he will make 10 great saves and then let in a softy. He will wins some games for you but you have to bear with those bad goals.

Reactions: Gecklund

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know SJ kind of has to “go for it” with an aging core and have limited assets with which to address holes in the roster but I’m baffled by this. Goaltending can be fickle and I guess you are hoping you have two shots between Jones and Dubnyk that one of them has a bounce back year but the track record of Jones being awful and the track record of Dubnyk being in decline are years in the making so I’m not sure I’d qualify this as SJ “taking their best shot” to win with the aging core of EK/ Burns/ Vlasic /Couture/ Kane. (Obv Hertl and Meier are the two best forwards at this point but they should in theory be around a while).

But yeah - judging goalies is a complete mystery from year to year it seems...Dubnyk could be anything from a fringe NHLer to a playoff hero next season and I would not be shocked.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Haha thanks.

Good luck with them both. Wish them well. If Donato can get stronger on his skates he could be something for you guys. Doobs isnt as bad as folks say. Scary stuff last year with his wife. Hoping for the best for her. Frustrations have always been with him is he will make 10 great saves and then let in a softy. He will wins some games for you but you have to bear with those bad goals.
Yeah I really think Donato will look great with us. I think the plan is to give him to Jumbo and put him in the Pavelski role on the third line. Dubnyk I’m torn about. Obviously his mind wasn’t on hockey last season and I don’t think anyone can blame him. Hopefully his wife is doing better and she’s able to come over to the Bay Area where there are some great doctors and hospitals.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
SJ wins both deals in my mind.

Donato > 3rd
Dubnyk > 5th

Yes, Dubnyk doesnt really upgrade SJ goaltending a ton, but he only has 1 year left and buys their young goalies more time to develop. Not bad.

I can see you haven't watched him play. He's good for a least a soft one per game and will never steal you a game. Has an awesome personality trait were he deflects all responsibility to everyone else.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad