Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Jonah Gadjovich claimed off waivers by the Sharks from the Canucks

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
First time I hear of an ELC-contract being claimed on waivers. I always thought they were auto-excempt. So, I was wrong, again.

It's one of the quirks in the CBA where the rules for determining waiver exemption is based on the players age on the date the ELC was signed, but the slide rule is based on the player's age at the start of the NHL season. Gadjovich is an early October birthdate, signed his ELC 5 days after he turned 19, but was only 18 at the start of that season. As a 19 year old signee, he had 4 years waiver exemption. His contract slid for 2 years, so his waiver exemption ended after the second year of his ELC.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
For everyone bagging on the Canucks here, who would take the over on 18 points this season from Gadjovich?

I don't think anyone is would expect Gadjovich to be more than a 4th liner or 13/14th forward this year. The issue is the guys that were kept up above him who are very much replacement level players while Gadjovich till has a decent shot of being an effective bottom 6 player; one with skills the Nucks severally lack (i.e. toughness and net-front presence). It's not the end of the world and may turn out to be nothing, but it could be something and is just the type of death by a thousand cuts move his management often makes.

Reactions: Lindgren

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I like him. It's sad to see him go. I hope he can make the NHL with the Sharks. At least 8 teams placed a claim on him. I think he's a good pick up by the Sharks.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It absolutely blows my mind that Jim Benning is employed by a NHL team, nevermind the same one in the same role as he has been for nearly a decade of miserable failure.

In the grand scheme of things this probably isn't some franchise-altering blow, but how stupid do you have to be to think you can simply 'hide' a player by not playing them much in the pre-season, like teams don't keep databases of scouting reports? Dude was a 2nd round pick and a former Canadian WJC player...this ain't some Siberian that some team unearthed while scouting someone different, this is a solid prospect that has seemingly developed as you'd expect a late 2nd round pick to develop in covid times. This is the type of player most likely to be claimed off waivers at this time of the year, and it's easy to see why. A semblance of upside and youth coupled with a bottom six role is an incredibly easy gamble to take. If he doesn't work out with San Jose...they lose nothing more than a fraction of a fraction of the cap in terms of money. An easily worthy risk for the Sharks here, even if Gadjovich immediately flames out. If he sticks...he's a rookie who turned 23 yesterday playing in the same division as the Canucks. Ample opportunity for regret.

I'm probably making more out of a beginning of the season waiver claim than I need to be, but this is just poor asset management by someone with a long history of galaxy-braining himself into poor asset/cap management.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't think anyone is would expect Gadjovich to be more than a 4th liner or 13/14th forward this year. The issue is the guys that were kept up above him who are very much replacement level players while Gadjovich till has a decent shot of being an effective bottom 6 player; one with skills the Nucks severally lack (i.e. toughness and net-front presence). It's not the end of the world and may turn out to be nothing, but it could be something and is just the type of death by a thousand cuts move his management often makes.

I guess that's kinda my point, all this venom over a guy who is most likely a spare or 4th liner.

Canucks have very good top 9 forward depth, not going to run through the names. Our 4th line is XXX-Sutter-Motte, which should also be pretty solid. I don't believe that scoring is going to be the Canucks biggest challenge this year. That last forward slot is going to go to the strongest defensive forward available that can penalty kill, that certainly is not Gadjovich.

I like this pickup a lot for the Sharks, Gadjovich could develop well there, he should get some solid looks. He has some solid tools, and some flaws as well, par for the course for a B level prospect. He took advantage of a diluted AHL and produced very well last year. He has improved his skating to the point it may now be adequate for the NHL, but will still likely be a shortcoming for him.

At this stage, I feel he is very close to NHL ready, but agree that he is likely an AHL tweener/13/14 forward right now. At some point he would have got minutes in Vancouver this year, but likely would have spent some time in Abby as well. He was almost certainly going to be waived at some point.

Canucks took a chance sliding him under the radar when teams were mainly focussed on their own players and got caught. I hope he does well in SJ. 5 pages of straight hate over a 23 YO with no NHL points seems a bit much though.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
5 pages of straight hate over a 23 YO with no NHL points seems a bit much though.

Be ready to be called a Benning apologist for this comment. (Or being on the receiving end of a lecture about how this is another “death by a thousand cuts” thing with Benning.)

Reactions: nucksauce

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
giphy.gif

As expected, UrbanImpact cuts and runs when called out on his bullshit. No surprise.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Canucks could just make things even by claiming Barre-Boulet off waivers. He seems like a solid 4th C who actually meets the need of the Canucks. Sutter is out so instead of Dowling, Boulet could be used there. Gadjovic would have been a 4th liner at best anyways, I doubt he would have been playing with Petersson or Horvat or even on 3rd line due to Canucks depth.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Canucks could just make things even by claiming Barre-Boulet off waivers. He seems like a solid 4th C who actually meets the need of the Canucks. Sutter is out so instead of Dowling, Boulet could be used there. Gadjovic would have been a 4th liner at best anyways, I doubt he would have been playing with Petersson or Horvat or even on 3rd line due to Canucks depth.

The problem isn't necessarily where he'd play in the lineup. Did you notice Petan getting top six minutes and looks on the #1PP unit? Gadjovic got a cup of coffee, performed well and then was just let go for no apparent reason. And this is on a team so talent-poor every year it's trading draft picks for mature players because it's got nothing coming up in its farm system, over and over and over again. Now, here we are with a player who's been drafted and developed for years here shows up at camp having improved what he needed to improve, brings badly needed toughness to a pudding-soft team, performs well enough to honestly earn a longer, more serious look, and he's not even given the chance to show what he can really do while waiver wire specials like Chiasson and Petan are trotted out game after game. This team constantly tunnel-visions in on their guys, and if anyone else shows up better it's like the team is confused and annoyed at having their plans complicated by this unforeseen circumstance, and it doesn't want to deal with it.

No team that can find room for Chiasson or Petan in its top six can afford to be losing cheap, homegrown talent for nothing. Especially if they're not even going to bother giving that talent a serious chance to make the team.

Reactions: Canuck86

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It absolutely blows my mind that Jim Benning is employed by a NHL team, nevermind the same one in the same role as he has been for nearly a decade of miserable failure.

In the grand scheme of things this probably isn't some franchise-altering blow, but how stupid do you have to be to think you can simply 'hide' a player by not playing them much in the pre-season, like teams don't keep databases of scouting reports? Dude was a 2nd round pick and a former Canadian WJC player...this ain't some Siberian that some team unearthed while scouting someone different, this is a solid prospect that has seemingly developed as you'd expect a late 2nd round pick to develop in covid times. This is the type of player most likely to be claimed off waivers at this time of the year, and it's easy to see why. A semblance of upside and youth coupled with a bottom six role is an incredibly easy gamble to take. If he doesn't work out with San Jose...they lose nothing more than a fraction of a fraction of the cap in terms of money. An easily worthy risk for the Sharks here, even if Gadjovich immediately flames out. If he sticks...he's a rookie who turned 23 yesterday playing in the same division as the Canucks. Ample opportunity for regret.

I'm probably making more out of a beginning of the season waiver claim than I need to be, but this is just poor asset management by someone with a long history of galaxy-braining himself into poor asset/cap management.
I think Jim Benning is like one of those idiots in those newish Harvey’s commercials. “He topped his burger his way, and now he thinks he’s running everything!”

And Aquilini fell for it.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad