Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Jonah Gadjovich claimed off waivers by the Sharks from the Canucks

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He broke out last season in the AHL, 15 goals and 18 points through 19 games is impressive especially at 21 years old. His issue was always his skating, but he showed up to camp much lighter and actually seemed to improve this portion to a passable level, most Canuck fans fully expected him to make the team.

Why was he cut? Because we don't have enough penalty killers, and we have plenty of offensive players.

It's hard to say what he projects to be. I would think a 15g 15a 3rd liner who can play the net front presence on the power play, he has really good hand eye coordination for tip ins.

All I keep hearing about this camp is who is going to kill penalties and it just feels like such nonsense. It really shouldn't be an issue to have your skill players kill penalties if the alternative is dressing shitty 5v5 players. No idea what Green's aversion to it is considering he was literally a skill player who learned to play defense to stay in the league

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All I keep hearing about this camp is who is going to kill penalties and it just feels like such nonsense. It really shouldn't be an issue to have your skill players kill penalties if the alternative is dressing shitty 5v5 players. No idea what Green's aversion to it is considering he was literally a skill player who learned to play defense to stay in the league
That’s his job to coach up players. Plus Benning to give him guys who have the versatility to do that.
Also for kids coming up you do really need to develop your overall game and offer more to the table if you are not a top 6 caliber player.

good luck to Gadjovich.

hope he gets a shot in SJ.

And I hope he doesn’t get treated like Corrado who sat in the press box for long stretches. But was able to be sent down to the A on conditioning. Stupidest thing in the nhl that guys who are healthy scratched can be assigned down for conditioning without having to clear waivers if they are not exempt. Should be in IR first to go down without waivers.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
That’s unfortunate for Van. Gadjovic could be a solid middle 6 asset… honestly he was off the radar, but has looked quite solid (nothing special) so far this training camp. Looks like he added a step, but will make his money standing in the blue, and has decent enough hands to collect loose picks and score goals from that area.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That’s unfortunate for Van. Gadjovic could be a solid middle 6 asset… honestly he was off the radar, but has looked quite solid (nothing special) so far this training camp. Looks like he added a step, but will make his money standing in the blue, and has decent enough hands to collect loose picks and score goals from that area.
Looking at just Gadjovich I do wonder where is the best place for him to play and develop. Is it in the nhl or back in the A as he came to camp in much better shape.

like with Corrado, he was better served playing on the A all those years ago vs sitting in the press box for the Leafs. Think Corrado had a chance to eke out a Kevin Connoifhton type career as a spare Dmen had he gotten more ahl time to refine his game rather than just practice in the nhl.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
weird take since all those guys you mentioned are probably not going to make the Canucks and had nothing to do with Gadjovich.

Garland- Pettersson- Boeser
Hoglander- Horvat-Pearson
Dickenson- Miller- Podkolzin
Motte- Sutter- Diguisseppe

Who does Gadjovich take out in that lineup?

-Podkolzin? Id rather Podkolzin make the team over Gadjovich, and Gadjovich cant handle 3rd line role imo that Podkolzin will have.

- Diguissepe has had a very solid solid training camp, and will kill penalties for the team. Gadjovich aint beating him out. Proven NHLer with 200 games under his belt.

I'm happy for Gadjovich that he will get an opportunity with the Sharks (hopefully)

Scouting Report:

-Soft Hands around the net, good around the crease.
- skating is just not good enough, particularly start and stop
- will stand up for his teammates
- doesnt kill penalties which really has hindered him from making the NHL.

Best case scenario, he turns out to be like a poor mans Pat Maroon style of player.

All the best to Jonah!
He could have easily been a 13th forward and early season replacement for Motte. I agree it was poor asset management......yet again.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Why not waive MacEwen who certainly would have cleared?

He will probably be waived too. Its not one or the other.

Guisseppe is the guy that beat out Gadjovich for the 4th line winger role.

For Gadjovich to have made the team he would have had to beat out Guisseppe or Motte.. and thats not happening as both are going to be heavily relied on especially in PK.

Gadjovich's chance to make this team was last year or previous years but even then he couldnt beat out pylons like Roussell, Eriksson, Virtanen, etc.

Now the Canucks have started to add depth at wing with the likes of Garland, Podkolzin , Dickenson, Hoglander etc..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He could have easily been a 13th forward and early season replacement for Motte. I agree it was poor asset management......yet again.
Sounds like Sutter is out for a while. They have depth PKers like Pearson, Bo, Miller who can step in for a short time but Green isn’t keen on using them for extended stretches. Thus puts more emphasis on the spare guys to step into those roles.

basically can go back and say it was a mistake to sign the oft injured Sutter again in a key role given the roster.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

No he couldnt because he doesnt kill penalties.

This is really his big downfall.

as a 13th forward who is he going to replace?

if a top 6 guy gets hurt, Gadjo cant fill that role.

Theyll probably call up someone like Bailey or Petan.

if a bottom 6 guy that kills penalties gets hurt, Gadjo cant fill that role.

Theyll probably call up a guy like Dowling or Highmore.

Gadjo is a the absolute definition of a tweener.

I wish he specialized on something to give himself some value to the team.

Kinda like what Guiseppe has done to have had 200 plus games in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not many players today who would play in the bottom 6 don’t either PK or are part of the PP2 unit.
For Gadjovich to be on the roster would mean that the Canucks should have spent the Pearson cap hit on a better 4C who could stay healthy. plus would require that at least 1 or 2 of Garland, Pod, Hog, Petey, Brock can join Bo and Miller on the PK if guys go down like Motte, Highmore, the 4C. That’s coaching right there.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Stupidest thing in the nhl that guys who are healthy scratched can be assigned down for conditioning without having to clear waivers if they are not exempt. Should be in IR first to go down without waivers.

The difference being that a conditioning assignment can only be made with the consent of the player, he remains on the 23-man-roster, and it can only be for a limited amount of time.

It's not at all the same thing as being demoted.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
No he couldnt because he doesnt kill penalties.

This is really his big downfall.

as a 13th forward who is he going to replace?

if a top 6 guy gets hurt, Gadjo cant fill that role.

Theyll probably call up someone like Bailey or Petan.

if a bottom 6 guy that kills penalties gets hurt, Gadjo cant fill that role.

Theyll probably call up a guy like Dowling or Highmore.

Gadjo is a the absolute definition of a tweener.

I wish he specialized on something to give himself some value to the team.

Kinda like what Guiseppe has done to have had 200 plus games in the NHL.
Your odds of losing a 31 year old Dowling or 27 year old PDG on waivers is a lot less than losing a 22 year old that has shown improvement and a coaching staff still thinks has potential. Benning had options but he made a choice and the Canucks lost an asset earlier than they needed to. Benning not having other options for the PK and having to waive a younger asset is another example of poor forethought and reacting to an issue as opposed to being pro-active and being several steps ahead in the building of the team. Even if Gadjo never develops into a legit NHLer, letting him go to waivers while players late in their 20's/early 30's career minor leaguers remain is not good asset management.

Reactions: jd22

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Looked good in the games I watched of him this preseason. Scrappy player with a good motor. Probably worth a waiver claim but I don't think it'll be a huge loss. Guys like this are easily replaceable.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Teams can always manipulate things. Like keep the kids to start then send them down after the season begins once teams have set up their 23 man roster.

hope you don’t need to dip into the spare guys on the opening road trip.

but they prioritized others.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
How the heck does a GM who makes the playoff 1 in 8 years still have a job with said team?
2 in 7 is not much better but could be worse, could have signed E. Kane to long term contract. Ericksson dropped off a cliff but Kane has always been of questionable character. Who is SJ Gm? Cannot still be Wilson. That said is it possible both teams think the same about Gadovich just SJ is more willing to play him. I heard Dahlen is with them still too. These were the type of players we were taking fliers on when we had no depth and no hope of winning. Goldobin from SJ was a perfect example and Dahlen from Ottawa.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It would be more concerning if Gadjovich, at his level of play today made the team.

The fact that fellow wingers like Garland Podkolzin Dickenson have made the team just pushes the depth of the Canucks and raises the minimum floor for the depth forwards.

I dont think this was a case of bad asset management. What asset? he couldnt have been worth much in a trade. If anything it was a bad draft choice.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Can't say I know a ton about Gadjovich but I'd try and hold on to a player like that until he gets a fair shake at the NHL level. Nice claim by San Jose.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It would be more concerning if Gadjovich, at his level of play today made the team.

The fact that fellow wingers like Garland Podkolzin Dickenson have made the team just pushes the depth of the Canucks and raises the minimum floor for the depth forwards.

I dont think this was a case of bad asset management. What asset? he couldnt have been worth much in a trade. If anything it was a bad draft choice.
Agree with this point - another Benning myth - the draft guru. Yet the Canucks have one of the lowest numbers of drafted players on their roster and the farm system is not very good or deep.

Reactions: Son of Petter

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Agree with this point - another Benning myth - the draft guru. Yet the Canucks have one of the lowest numbers of drafted players on their roster and the farm system is not very good or deep.

Every GM has bad picks or picks that didnt turn out.

lowest number of drafted players?

I dont know what the league average is but I dont think the Canucks are doing poorly at this especially from a quality vs quantity look.

Pettersson
Hughes
Horvat
Boeser
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Demko

Their farm system isnt very good because hey had 3 years of a Calder Winner or Calder finalist which hadnt been done since the 70s.

They also had draft picks that went straight to the NHL like Podkolzin Rathbone, Hoglander

They have also traded draft picks for legit NHLers like JT Miller, Garland , OEL and Toffoli

Their lineup is super young loaded with talent, of course their farm team is gonna be poop when all their studs are in the show.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Every GM has bad picks or picks that didnt turn out.

lowest number of drafted players?

I dont know what the league average is but I dont think the Canucks are doing poorly at this especially from a quality vs quantity look.

Pettersson
Hughes
Horvat
Boeser
Podkolzin
Hoglander
Demko

Their farm system isnt very good because hey had 3 years of a Calder Winner or Calder finalist which hadnt been done since the 70s.

They also had draft picks that went straight to the NHL like Podkolzin Rathbone, Hoglander

They have also traded draft picks for legit NHLers like JT Miller, Garland , OEL and Toffoli

Their lineup is super young loaded with talent, of course their farm team is gonna be poop when all their studs are in the show.
They were the worst team in the league collectively over a 5 year stretch they should have some high end draft picks, in Bennings time with the Canucks they would have started off with 56 draft picks and they have 6 Benning picks on the roster. Only 1 Benning Dman and they have made the playoffs 1 or 2 times. So he has done pretty good when drafting top 10, after that....Demko a high second rounder, Hoglander a high second rounder. His best attribute as a GM and he's average if not below average at it. This is a big part of the problem.

CNuck

Jun 26, 2012
not a lot of canuck fans have him pegged in the starting lineup so not sure all the commotion is all about. Yes he has the POTENTIAL to be good but he's definitely a project at this point in time

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Dickinson is a W? Garland made the team? What is this?

The Canucks are stuck with Nic Petan, Alex Chiasson and some other garbage because they thought they could sneak Gadjovich through waivers. This was a pretty clear mistake. The magnitude of the mistake is small, but it is an unforced error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad