Confirmed Trade: [SJ/VAN] Jonathan Dahlen for Linus Karlsson

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
One thing the Sharks tend to do well, is turn players who lack skating ability, into players who hold their own skating wise. Maybe that can help this guy?

Feb 19, 2018
The most successful pick the Sharks have ever made from the 3rd round in franchise history is Thomas Greiss. Our third round drafting is inexplicably terrible.

Honestly hilarious to see that one Nucks fan racing about how great this deal is. Most Sharks fans forgot Linus existed.

Well in hindsight Jim Benning’s best trade was for Markus Granlund so good luck with that!!!
We traded for Dahlen by the way lol

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
I trust our scouting in Vancouver so somehow I think we might have pulled a fast one. I also trust SAN Jose’s drafting and they just took this kid third round last year.

Basically a pic for Dahlen. One that we clearly had eyes on.
Except our 3rd round drafting has never been any good

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
One thing the Sharks tend to do well, is turn players who lack skating ability, into players who hold their own skating wise. Maybe that can help this guy?

Good point. Hertl and Labanc come to mind.

Does anyone have the link of Linus Karlsson's advanced stats metric that had him neck and neck with his drafts best?

I can't remember which metric it was, I just remember reading about it on a Sharks blog, and thusly ended up taking him high in a number of deep fantasy leagues last summer.

edit: It wasn't this, but similar, this one talks about Emmanuel Perry's model

Top 25 Sharks Under 25: No. 14 Linus Karlsson is exciting for a third-round pick

nor this
Sharks_U25_Prospects.png

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well in hindsight Jim Benning’s best trade was for Markus Granlund so good luck with that!!!
We traded for Dahlen by the way lol

What on earth does this mean?

Well I guess we will have to bank on ours because since Benning has taken over he has hit on or looking to on every one.

Trymakin/Dipietro/Madden etc.

What does that have to do with this trade? :huh:

Feb 19, 2018
What on earth does this mean?

What does that have to do with this trade? :huh:

It means we obviously scouted the kid before we traded for him. I’m betting we really liked him last year at the draft.
You don’t just trade a more sought after prospect for some unknown Swedish kid playing tier-2 hockey.
He didn’t draw a name out of a hat, if you need me to break it down more.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Well this will be very interesting to see how this pans out as there was a lot of hype around Dahlen and having him play with his BBF in Pettersson, our star player...

Reactions: Altimus

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
This is a good trade for SJ. Will be interesting to see if he is protection worthy from the expansion draft, while Karlsson will be exempt.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
So many people up in arms with Canucks moving on from Hunter shinkaruk 2.0. Kid was fine on the big ice, but without the time and space the big ice allows he was below average most nights.
Last year after training camp he had mono and was assigned to Utica. Not long after he requested to go back to Sweden. Came back this year was one of the Canucks first cuts from camp to Utica and then never proceeded to win over Cull with his play. From all reports I’ve read and games I’ve seen him on NA ice is he’s not quick enough to be as small as he is and weak on the puck. He doesn’t win board battles and was mostly invisible 5v5 for the Comets. He never really made an effort to go into the dirty areas of the ice to score, so his game was mostly from the perimeter which usually doesn’t amount to NHL time.

The fact that the Canucks traded him to possibly the deepest forward core in the west is a total middle finger to a young player not willing to pay his dues.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
One of my hockey buddies on Twitter is a Sharks fan and I had to talk him off a ledge when he saw this and thought it was EK65 straight up for Dahlen. He was losing his f'ing mind :laugh:

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
One of my hockey buddies on Twitter is a Sharks fan and I had to talk him off a ledge when he saw this and thought it was EK65 straight up for Dahlen. He was losing his f'ing mind :laugh:
I’d believe this if you said Melker. But Comeon man. Erik? Really.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
So many people up in arms with Canucks moving on from Hunter shinkaruk 2.0. Kid was fine on the big ice, but without the time and space the big ice allows he was below average most nights.
Last year after training camp he had mono and was assigned to Utica. Not long after he requested to go back to Sweden. Came back this year was one of the Canucks first cuts from camp to Utica and then never proceeded to win over Cull with his play. From all reports I’ve read and games I’ve seen him on NA ice is he’s not quick enough to be as small as he is and weak on the puck. He doesn’t win board battles and was mostly invisible 5v5 for the Comets. He never really made an effort to go into the dirty areas of the ice to score, so his game was mostly from the perimeter which usually doesn’t amount to NHL time.

The fact that the Canucks traded him to possibly the deepest forward core in the west is a total middle finger to a young player not willing to pay his dues.
Didn't take long for the marching orders to get sent out

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
DAHLEN FOR KARLSSON :scared:

(not that karlsson)

(not that dahlin)

:D

In all seriousness though, f*** Dahlen and his “entitlement” mentality if him and his agent requested a trade.

Roster spots are earned......not given.

In training camp, the opportunity was there for Dahlen and he was outplayed. Hence - him getting sent down.

If you have zero defensive savvy and your skating is suspect *at the AHL level*, then do you really feel that you should be up in the Biggs?

Hit the bricks Dahlen. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I f***ing hate “entitlement” mentalities.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
:D

In all seriousness though, **** Dahlen and his “entitlement” mentality if him and his agent requested a trade.

Roster spots are earned......not given.

In training camp, the opportunity was there for Dahlen and he was outplayed. Hence - him getting sent down.

If you have zero defensive savvy and your skating is suspect *at the AHL level*, then do you really feel that you should be up in the Biggs?

Hit the bricks Dahlen. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I ****ing hate “entitlement” mentalities.
You need to calm down. Right now.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa saw something.... lol

Listen, as a Sens fan, I hate everything about the Sens. But the drafts that their new head scout have run have been pretty good. It’s one of only two parts of the organization that functions properly.

When they drafted Dahlen, Bob McKenzie said that out of the scouts he talked to 1/3rd didn’t peg Dahlen as an NHL player, a 1/3rd thought he could’ve a bottom 6 guy, and a 1/3rd saw top 6 talent. An even divide across the board.

After working with him, the Sens realized how far down he was in the prospect pool and worried about his transition to NA ice.

I think the hype (*cough* calling it Forsberg/Erat 2.0 *cough*) went a little to far when he got traded to Vancouver, but given his intelligence and the style of game he plays there’s still a reasonable chance that Dahlen continues to develop and becomes a useable Top 9 forward, in my opinion.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
If he wanted out, good riddance. you earn your time in the nhl, you don't demand it. glad we got something for him.
The problem is he didn’t want out because he didn’t want to put his time in. Quite obvious there was issues between him and Cull and that’s not a good thing for the future.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Good in Sweden but not much at all happened in Utica. He was disappointing to say the least.
He had a really slow start but was really starting to come on. 29 points in 50 games is pretty good considering the start and the lack of opportunity from coaching staff.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Was more than willing to play in the AHL. Here is what he said today:

2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

I have to work on a lot of things in my game. Get speed. I’m really excited to work here with a good coaching staff. Work on every detail in my game, to play in the American League first of all, and be a good player there. We’ll take it from there.

I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.

Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I'm going to reserve my judgement and see how effective he is through the rest of this season and through the AHL playoffs. The Cuda should be going on a deep run and will have a up to 4 other players added, two of which look like they have NHL futures. If Dahlen can contribute and stand out (in a good way) compared to them I think we will know what we have in him. If not, I'll jump on the bust train.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad