Confirmed Trade: [SJ/VAN] Jonathan Dahlen for Linus Karlsson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes he's saying that now...of course he didn't know about his agents trade demands?? The Canucks were dying for this guy to be good...Baertschi has been out all year...Goldobin has had his struggles....fact is he's been a poor AHL player and that doesn't bode well. Kid hs a lot of work to do but does have some really good talent.....this is on him though he's 21 and will be 22 by years end and is a long ways away. Making any sort of demands was pretty pathetic considering almost all his production came on the PP (17pts) and has 12 ES pts in 51 games and is a minus 12 on a good team. Our Utica posters were really sour on him. Good luck in the Sharks org.

FTF: If I could clear up some things then,
did your agent ask for a trade?
JD: No, I don’t think so.
We had a little stuff down there in Utica where I really wanted to feel good about myself and have confidence in my game and play well. I don’t want to say anything bad about anybody, but I didn’t feel too good about my hockey game there.
To be honest, I just want to put it behind me, and I’m really excited to work with the great coaching staff here who have already made me feel a lot better about myself. I’m really ready to get going here and work hard and just be happy and love to play hockey.
FTF: Jim Benning said some young players these days don’t want to “pay their dues” to make it to the NHL. He was referring, in part, to you. Was that a fair assessment from him?
JD: I don’t know. To be honest, I’m just excited to be here and work hard and try to get to the next level.
But first of all, I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.
Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.
FTF: Benning also said the discrepancy between your camp and the Canucks was that your camp thought you should be in the NHL at some point this year. You’re saying that wasn’t a fair portrayal?
JD: No, I want to be a leading player in the [AHL] and play there.
I was trying really hard in Utica to earn minutes in key situations and working really hard to do it. But I’m just happy to be here and I want to try and earn minutes here with the Barracuda. It’s not like I have any eyes on the NHL yet because I’ve got a lot to work on to get there, for sure.
FTF: What was challenging about Utica?
JD: It’s a hard question.
It’s a great group of guys there. Great teammates. They’re really nice, everybody there. Great captains and vets and everything. Had a Grade-A experience with the team there.
I’m just happy to get a fresh start now. Try something else. Try to feel good about myself again. Get confidence.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He had a really slow start but was really starting to come on. 29 points in 50 games is pretty good considering the start and the lack of opportunity from coaching staff.
???
7 goals and 5 assists in 20 games since Xmas. 4 of his goals were on the PP.

3 ES goals in 20 games is "really coming on".....his +/- has been cratering and Utica posters have been calling him a ghost.

Looks like he was just doing more of the same underwhelming production and the whole came to camp outta shape thing would be a non issue 5 months into the season?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Comp you guys can relate to:

20yr old Goldobin....60 21 23 44 .........29 ES pts
21yr old Dahlen........50 14 15 29..........12 ES pts

I'm not trying to run him down he has some sweet hands and very good instincts. Excellent edge work. Was a big fan of the aquisition when it happened and watched him live a bunch early last fall

He hates getting engaged physically and gets knocked off pucks with ease even at the AHL level. Speed is below average AHL level and strength has a long ways to go.

Maybe with the right dedication to the gym and more willingness to engage you guys un earth a gem....He will certainly be a late bloomer if so but you never know.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Was more than willing to play in the AHL. Here is what he said today:

2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

I have to work on a lot of things in my game. Get speed. I’m really excited to work here with a good coaching staff. Work on every detail in my game, to play in the American League first of all, and be a good player there. We’ll take it from there.

I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.

Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.
Sounds like a kid who was told by his agent to deny deny deny so you can at least sound like you wanna be in San Jose.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Sounds like a guy playing for some *******s in Utica.
Give me a f***ing break. The kid is slow and weak and not fit for NHL ice and barely AHL ice. He’s an awesome big ice player as there is time and space to make the little plays with the puck. The problem is he isn’t physical enough to go to the dirty areas of the ice and is constantly knocked off the puck with ease! If Goldobin had trouble under Green for not playing the engaged type of game needed for his system, I had BIG SKEPTICISM of this kid dating back to two Septembers ago when he first left.

Also if this is your stand point I’m guessing you’ve never been fired from a job, because this is basically what Vancouver did to this young man. They literally traded him to one of the deepest forward cores in the league, easily the deepest in the West, who also have oodles of their own prospects/ young players.
I’ve already stated my opinion that I believe this kid to be Sweden bound in less than 2 years.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Give me a ****ing break. The kid is slow and weak and not fit for NHL ice and barely AHL ice. He’s an awesome big ice player as there is time and space to make the little plays with the puck. The problem is he isn’t physical enough to go to the dirty areas of the ice and is constantly knocked off the puck with ease! If Goldobin had trouble under Green for not playing the engaged type of game needed for his system, I had BIG SKEPTICISM of this kid dating back to two Septembers ago when he first left.

Also if this is your stand point I’m guessing you’ve never been fired from a job, because this is basically what Vancouver did to this young man. They literally traded him to one of the deepest forward cores in the league, easily the deepest in the West, who also have oodles of their own prospects/ young players.
I’ve already stated my opinion that I believe this kid to be Sweden bound in less than 2 years.
I've read from a lot of Canucks posters who have stated that player development was an issue in Utica. And this was before this trade occurred.

It sounds like both player and management needed a change here. We'll see which side (if either) was eventually right.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Strange trade. Pettersson and Dahlén are good friends since their time in Timrå (SHL). And had good on-ice chemistry there.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Dhalen would have been exposed to the nhl expansion draft. That is just one reason.

He also didn’t fit into our system. I think benning thinks we have another shinkaruk on hand. Add to the fact that he was a target for us on draft day.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Strange trade. Pettersson and Dahlén are good friends since their time in Timrå (SHL). And had good on-ice chemistry there.

Technically, the team was in Allsvenskan when they played together. And Pettersson has been successful playing without Dahlén, so the Canucks decided to trade for a prospect who's a couple of years younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad