Confirmed Trade: [SJ/VAN] Jonathan Dahlen for Linus Karlsson

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He was PPG last year without Pettersson. Was a highly rated prospect from young age and has had a nice progression. Has he really been that bad this year?
Shouldn't he have improved when Pettersson left? He has plateau'd for three straight seasons.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Karlsson's allsvenskan production is a fraction of Dahlen at the same age, and Dahlen carried his team into the SHL last year. Not a fan of giving up on a skilled player when we have trash wing depth, but if you're going to move on from a prospect now is the time, not sure about the return though

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Erik Karlsson wants to be the only Karlsson in SJ.
giphy.gif

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Man Dahlen must really be trending down, two years ago he was being compared to filip forsberg.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Shouldn't he have improved when Pettersson left? He has plateau'd for three straight seasons.
He was a complete monster in the games that meant something and brought his team to the SHL. Performing in relegation/promotion games normally takes a special player. It was also the reason for him staying in Timrå instead of going to the SHL. I really don’t get why Canucks gave up on him. He’s not going to be a star but a useful player for sure.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Sharks fans are nostalgic about the play of his father Ulf Dahlin. Pretty cool to be able to have a legacy player in the prospect pool.

Aside from that, this is a weird trade from the prospective of the Canucks. On the surface it is a downgrade as I thought Dahlin was / is a considered to have legit top 6 potential. There must be more to this as the value is seemingly not on the same level. Maybe I'm underrating the potential of Linus Karlsson? Anyone familiar with both prospects care to chime in?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've not watched the AHL apart from highlights of the Baby Pens but Dahlen's numbers are pretty solid for 21 year old in his first AHL season.

Yeah there's nothing really wrong with his AHL numbers, the only issue really is they're subpar considering his production in Sweden the previous season which had a lot ofCanuck fans hyped.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Westsyde

Jan 7, 2019
Hey this could be like the time we traded Shinkurak for granlund. At the time it seems Calgary completely robbed us but, as time went on it appears as if we definitely won that trade.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
He was PPG last year without Pettersson. Was a highly rated prospect from young age and has had a nice progression. Has he really been that bad this year?
Yeah IMHO Dahlen getting a ppg with Pettersson and then the next year getting a ppg without him is not plateauing. That plus he carried his team to promotion without Pettersson that year.

I honestly think there is some serious development issues going on in Utica atm and i fear we are going to look back on this trade as a loss.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
LOL what a waste of a future top line player according to nucks fans

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah there's nothing really wrong with his AHL numbers, the only issue really is they're subpar considering his production in Sweden the previous season which had a lot ofCanuck fans hyped.

He was playing in the Allsvenskan not the SHL so would have thought both the team and the fans would be happy with his numbers.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I don't like this. Dahlen has had a rough year in the AHL, but Karlsson isn't producing in the same league Dahlen tore up at the same age.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Isn't Linus struggling in the exact same league Dahlen tore up?

Legitimately confused, I haven't followed Linus at all, but he's sitting at 0.35 PPG in the Allsvenskan which is the same league Dahlen torched with over 1.0 PPG.

From stat watching it looks like Linus had a disappointing development year this year. Someone else want to shed some light on why this move is anything more than terrible? Seems like just a straight downgrade.
Dahlen was on a stacked team who was borderline in the top league.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Not sure why all of a sudden a few Canucks fans are coming out of the shadows and hating on Dahlen. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of AHL hockey but this comes as a surprise to me.

Know nothing about Linus Karlsson but I have some faith in Canucks scouting. If they feel this is a move that makes sense then sure, there must be something to it.

Wish him all the best in San Jose!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He was playing in the Allsvenskan not the SHL so would have thought both the team and the fans would be happy with his numbers.

Yes that's still a mens league though and he was a 19 year old, and it was more the point that without Pettersson they were still great numbers and he basically lead the team himself to promotion into the SHL (?).

I'm not saying myself he should have been better here, just saying this had a lot of Canuck fans hyping him last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad