Prospect Info: SJ Sharks 2020 draftee (2/38) Thomas Bordeleau (C) - US-NTDP

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe a naive question because I'm not an expert on nhl contracts, but - if we are entering a lengthy full on rebuild, does it benefit the team for Thomas to stay in college another year? Do we want him burning a year of ELC for a few games this year ? This team is probably so far off from being good let him start his ELC clock as late as possible. That's what baseball teams do (screwing over their own players)
That is a decent consideration. However it can come back to hurt teams as well. Some guys were delayed longer so they were much better by the time they signed their first contract they got way more than they wouldve the year before.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Maybe a naive question because I'm not an expert on nhl contracts, but - if we are entering a lengthy full on rebuild, does it benefit the team for Thomas to stay in college another year? Do we want him burning a year of ELC for a few games this year ? This team is probably so far off from being good let him start his ELC clock as late as possible. That's what baseball teams do (screwing over their own players)
I see the argument for that, but my opinion is that the org is better served to know what they have as soon as possible in Bordeleau and other prospects that will compile the new core group than it is to move an ELC back a year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Here’s actually my opinion: it depends on the player. If a player is gonna come in and dominate right away, then yes, I think it’s better to burn the ELC as late as possible so you can maximize the amount of time you have a game-changing player on a cheap deal. If a player is gonna come in a take a couple seasons before becoming a game-changer, then it doesn’t actually matter much and maybe it’s even better to burn a year earlier, because there’s less time to have a “breakout year” before signing a longer term deal.

I think Bordeleau will be the latter, and I also strongly believe in not rushing young players. If Bordeleau is too good for the AHL and forces a call up, then that’s what he deserves. But I don’t think he’s on that level yet.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I know he’s been highly touted around here but beyond that, I don’t know too much about him or his expected ceiling. Who would you guys compare him to, and what are the current expectations you guys have for him potential wise when he reaches the NHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know he’s been highly touted around here but beyond that, I don’t know too much about him or his expected ceiling. Who would you guys compare him to, and what are the current expectations you guys have for him potential wise when he reaches the NHL?

Claude Giroux as his potential. I wouldn’t expect any less than a 2nd line winger.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
At this stage, we are optimistic that he could become the 2C of the franchise one day.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Bordeleau is probably the only prospect I’m genuinely excited about, now that Leonard is graduated. I hope he spends another year in either the NCAA or the AHL and then joins the big team in 2022-2023.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bordeleau is probably the only prospect I’m genuinely excited about, now that Leonard is graduated. I hope he spends another year in either the NCAA or the AHL and then joins the big team in 2022-2023.

I don't watch these guys play. All I have to go on are the numbers.

By my reckoning, Bordeleau's numbers point to someone like Couture (unquestionable first-line player) or maybe even Pavelski (elite-but-not-superstar).

The last time the Sharks had a prospect like that was Timo Meier (Merkley being debatable?).

Again, going just off the numbers, I'd say Bordeleau has to be the Sharks's top prospect right now.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting note in there (whether true or false is hard to tell since it didn't come to fruition) about the organization bringing Eklund back for the end of the season had the Sharks been in the playoff hunt.
I think it's good that they both start with a clean slate this summer. THey'll do captains skates together along with any of the other prospects going pro. Going to be an even younger team next season most likely. Exciting!

Reactions: Munnyro

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't watch these guys play. All I have to go on are the numbers.

By my reckoning, Bordeleau's numbers point to someone like Couture (unquestionable first-line player) or maybe even Pavelski (elite-but-not-superstar).

The last time the Sharks had a prospect like that was Timo Meier (Merkley being debatable?).

Again, going just off the numbers, I'd say Bordeleau has to be the Sharks's top prospect right now.
According to the scouts Sheng talked to they see him as a sort of Danault, 3C player at best. Hope he turns out to be more but it sounds like they intend to keep him at center so he likely slots in at 3C when he makes the Sharks unless they move Couture sometime in the next couple years.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
According to the scouts Sheng talked to they see him as a sort of Danault, 3C player at best. Hope he turns out to be more but it sounds like they intend to keep him at center so he likely slots in at 3C when he makes the Sharks unless they move Couture sometime in the next couple years.
Realistically Bordeleau could push Couture to wing in few years if he becomes NHL 2-way center.
Until then I would love to see him more of a young 3C, or 2LW/RW and playing PP and some PK.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Realistically Bordeleau could push Couture to wing in few years if he becomes NHL 2-way center.
Until then I would love to see him more of a young 3C, or 2LW/RW and playing PP and some PK.
Think the goal would be for Couture to become that 3C that the organization was hoping that Bonino would be (aka the Bonino of Pittsburgh lore) and then to find a 2C internally (Bordeleau/Robins) or externally with Hertl as the 1C. Couture's game should age well as more of a tough minutes 3C and playoff performer that puts up 40-50 points.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Think the goal would be for Couture to become that 3C that the organization was hoping that Bonino would be (aka the Bonino of Pittsburgh lore) and then to find a 2C internally (Bordeleau/Robins) or externally with Hertl as the 1C. Couture's game should age well as more of a tough minutes 3C and playoff performer that puts up 40-50 points.
If you really want to go crazy, if you have Bordeleau and Robins hit as centers, one as 2C and the other as 3C, it would afford them the opportunity to move Couture to wing without having to go out and add. I feel like Cooch would be better served moving to wing over down to 3C. I don't think anyone would care for an 8 mil 3C.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t see Bordeleau being a C at the next level. In the admittedly very limited amount games I watched, he was more of a winger that took face offs with Estapa having more of the traditional center responsibilities. I think if you have Bordeleau at C you need to have another C on that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad