Prospect Info: SJ Sharks 2020 draftee (2/38) Thomas Bordeleau (C) - US-NTDP

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Avs fan here, but impressed watching this kid at the NCAA level so far. Think you guys definitely got a player here.

5 points in 3 games, and second on the team in points right now. I posted this in his thread on the prospect board. Here was a nice assist.

He's a left-shot, but actually has played a lot on the left half-wall on the PP. He did so with the NTDP, as well.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Also the backchecker doing nothing is noted Canadiens prospect Cole Caufield
I watched the Wisconsin games against Penn State. Caufield was good in the offensive zone and decent in the neutral zone but weak in the defensive zone. Looked like he was just waiting at the faceoff circle for an outlet pass.
I have seen Michigan games and Bordeleau looks like a steal for where he was drafted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I posted this in the prospect section, but I'll post it here, as well.

10 points in 8 games. Second in the country in points right now. Leads his team in shots and +/-, as well. People say that Sanderson was underrated due to playing on a weaker offensive team than we usually see from the NTDP, and maybe thats true or maybe its not, but Bordeleau was the best offensive player on that team for two years. He had to drive that team offensively with little help. If he had more help, I think he would've got more recognition. There's no reason he should've went in the second round. Thats a total joke.

One other thing I should add is that the 2021 picks on that team like Beniers, Johnson, Power all aren't that much younger than him. They are October/November birthdays, and Bordeleau is a January birthday. It bodes well that he's leading that team in nearly every category, and is probably their best player right now. Thats not to say that he should've went top 5 in his draft because he's outplaying players that will go top 5 in the next draft. It helps being 6'6, it even helps being 6'1 as opposed to 5'10, and the age difference isn't completely something to discount, but I'm really surprised the general NHL community didn't catch onto his ability sooner.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I posted this in the prospect section, but I'll post it here, as well.

10 points in 8 games. Second in the country in points right now. Leads his team in shots and +/-, as well. People say that Sanderson was underrated due to playing on a weaker offensive team than we usually see from the NTDP, and maybe thats true or maybe its not, but Bordeleau was the best offensive player on that team for two years. He had to drive that team offensively with little help. If he had more help, I think he would've got more recognition. There's no reason he should've went in the second round. Thats a total joke.

One other thing I should add is that the 2021 picks on that team like Beniers, Johnson, Power all aren't that much younger than him. They are October/November birthdays, and Bordeleau is a January birthday. It bodes well that he's leading that team in nearly every category, and is probably their best player right now. Thats not to say that he should've went top 5 in his draft because he's outplaying players that will go top 5 in the next draft. It helps being 6'6, it even helps being 6'1 as opposed to 5'10, and the age difference isn't completely something to discount, but I'm really surprised the general NHL community didn't catch onto his ability sooner.
What's funny is, he wasn't even "the guy" for the Sharks either. Interviews after the draft made it pretty clear Ozzy was "the guy" for DW Jr. Not only did the Sharks wait to take him, they traded down from 34 to 38, and when DW was asked if he was confident that Bordeleau would still be avaliable at 38, he gave a non committal answer that makes me think the guy they were going to take at 34 was picked and Bordeleau was the backup option.

Really lucked into this one, but going well so far.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What's funny is, he wasn't even "the guy" for the Sharks either. Interviews after the draft made it pretty clear Ozzy was "the guy" for DW Jr. Not only did the Sharks wait to take him, they traded down from 34 to 38, and when DW was asked if he was confident that Bordeleau would still be avaliable at 38, he gave a non committal answer that makes me think the guy they were going to take at 34 was picked and Bordeleau was the backup option.

It is pretty possible to me that Khusnidinov or Petereka could've been the guy they wanted first. Both were talked about as being great sharks options

Reactions: Sandisfan

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018

I'm of the belief that zero real or tangible information can be taken from DW's responses. He plays his cards so tight.

Judging from the bigger picture of the draft it looks like they got who they wanted at 38. They went after particular qualities, heavy focus on character was clear. I don't think Peterka or Khus were as high on their board as Bordeleau.

Additionally i don't think they valued Ozzy's skill set over Bordeleau's. I think Ozzy was going to go first. And If Ozzy reaches his ceiling he will be one of those really rare players. You might be able to name all the highly skilled work horse pest/physical types in the NHL on one hand.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Erep

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I could have sworn the team said the reason they were comfortable trading back is they believed they had a good idea of how other organizations valued the prospects they had their eye on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad