Prospect Info: SJ Sharks 2020 draftee (2/38) Thomas Bordeleau (C) - US-NTDP

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This pick was acquired from Buffalo with a 4th rounder (100th overall) for the Sharks' own 2nd (34th overall) on draft day.

23.-thomas-bordeleau-tn.jpg

Draft rankings:

#23 by Eliteprospects
#31 by Future Considerations
#34 by Craig Button (TSN)
#36 by McKeen's
#29 NAS by NHL Central Scouting
#42 by Dobber Prospects
#51 by Bob McKenzie (TSN)

While clocking in at just 5-foot-9, Bordeleau uses exceptional speed and puck protection habits to make an impact in the offensive zone. He's at his best carrying the puck on the perimeter, scanning the defence, waiting for a passing opportunity to open up, and striking with extreme precision to a waiting teammate. - EliteProspects 2020 guide

Thomas Bordeleau at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Lebanezer

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Thomas Bordeleau led the US NTDP Under-18 in scoring this season. He put up 16 goals and 30 assists for 46 points in 47 games. This was an improvement on his season with the Under-17 team, where he had 16 goals and 23 assists for 39 points in 53 games in 2018-19. Bordeleau played for the U.S. team at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored four assists in five tournament games. Bordeleau is committed to playing hockey at the University of Michigan next season. Should he change his mind and go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, who drafted him in the 5th round of the 2018 QMJHL Draft.

Bordeleau comes from excellent hockey bloodlines. His grandfather, Paulin Bordeleau played 183 NHL games and 234 WHA games in the 1970s before playing pro hockey in France. He followed that up with a long coaching career. His father, Sebastien Bordeleau was a third-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens in 1993. He played 251 NHL games, had a pro career in Europe, and has also gone on to coaching. He is currently a development coach with the Nashville Predators.

Thomas Bordeleau Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #37

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The Draft Analyst notes his biggest strength is zone entries. This was also noted as a big strength of Wiesblatt, so there may be a theme here.

He also has an accurate shot, good passing ability, excellent agility, and is capable defensively.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Bordeleau will end up being a 2nd/3rd line tweener winger. Probably won't have a long career in San Jose but should be a solid trade asset if not a solid depth player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Really? Ive heard his faceoffs and defense are huge skills so I dont see why he couldnt stick center.

He's inconsistent defensively. The effort is there but he's got a lot of work to do there. They could probably have him be a 3C but if his offensive game gets to a 20 goal level which it could for him, he's going to be a winger in the NHL.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
Underwhelming!

A few guys have great write ups on him, and some had him pinned as a 1st rounder.

But hearing things like 2-3rd line tweener winger and might be a good trade asset are troubling descriptions when Mysak and Evangilista were still on the board.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like this pick for you guys. This is an unpopular opinion with those who made big changes to their draft board after the season stopped, but Bordeleau was the best player and prospect at the NTDP for two years in his age group.

I had him in my top 10. Does everything well. He’s a little undersized at 5’10/5’11, but he plays a good two way game, skates well, is strong, PK’s, and good on face offs, so size isn’t the problem it might appear. And he will score. Skilled, can shoot, pass. No real weakness in his game. Claude Giroux comparable, and I think it’s a realistic ceiling. Played on a weak offensive team, so ignore the point totals.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Underwhelming!

A few guys have great write ups on him, and some had him pinned as a 1st rounder.

But hearing things like 2-3rd line tweener winger and might be a good trade asset are troubling descriptions when Mysak and Evangilista were still on the board.

I mean, with all due respect to the poster who said that, don't let one person's maybe-fair and maybe-unfair comments drown out the numerous writers who had him ranked higher than 38.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Underwhelming!

It is the 2nd round of the draft, these are not top 5 picks that are all potentially top line/franchise players.

If you are picking players in the 2nd round and later that have projections of top line player at the draft, then i would want to have every scout and every GM that passed on him heads checked for brain damage.

Pavelski didn't have top line potential either when he was drafted and every one of his attributes were criticized. Not big enough, not fast enough and on and on.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Looks like Boogie and Bordeleau's father were Nashville teammates in the '98 and '99 seasons.
So, there's the bloodline connection.

willsy

Feb 26, 2015
Even though there were players on the board I would've taken over Bordeleau, it's still a solid pick. He's a very smart competitive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad