Confirmed with Link: [SJ/DET] Red Wings trade 3rd round pick for Dylan Sadowy (Signed to ELC)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Overall, it seems like a solid move for the Wings and the Sharks. SJ gets some return on a prospect they would have lost in a week for nothing and the Wings get a solid two-way prospect for less value if had hit the open market.

What I find particularly interesting with the move is the timing. I know that we have all heard the rumblings that Holland and crew are serious about making decisions this off-season and I think that this move might indicate larger trades to come.

It's a May trade, which as far as I can tell has never happened before with Holland. Holland's trades have almost exclusively occurred in the off-season or during the Trade Deadline. I can't find an instance where he traded during the actual playoffs (April to early June). That seems to denote a greater sense of urgency and willingness to make moves - initiative even.

I have to imagine that instead of letting the market come to a head prior to the Draft that he is being more proactive during this time and 'striking first' instead of letting it all play out. In addition, adding a prospect winger whose is 2-3 years out from the NHL instead of looking at a longer term asset like a 3rd Round next year who would potentially take 5-6 years before seeing the NHL, might imply a greater sense of urgency to improve now instead of again playing a very long game of development. Hell, it might even allow him to trade away contributing assets (current roster players) or those that are expected to contribute soon (2nd year prospects in the AHL) in a larger package deal for an impact. Solidifying the pipeline in the immediate term so he is more comfortable burning quantity for quality.

I hope I'm reading this right because I'm ready to see an aggressive Ken Holland, for good or for bad.

This move had to be before the draft, because this kid was eligible to re-enter the draft.

I don't think that this particular move is any kind of indicator of what Holland is going to do this summer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"We like his combination of grit and competitiveness and scoring touch," Red Wings assistant general manager Ryan Martin said. "He's got to continue to work on his foot speed and his body strength but we really like his upside."

Martin said the Red Wings were eying Sadowy during his draft year.

"We saw him play quite a bit being in Saginaw, not only because of the proximity but we had (goaltending prospect) Jake Paterson there at the time," Martin said. "We followed him closely over the last few years."

Martin said Sadowy projects as a top-nine forward in the NHL.

"He can kill penalties, block shots, go to the hard areas," Martin said. "He scored 42 and 45 goals in the OHL He gets a lot of his goals in the hard areas in front of the net."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/05/red_wings_acquire_prospect_dyl.html

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
seems like a pretty good deal

not likely that a 3rd rounder would end up any better than him and he's a couple years closer to the NHL to boot,can just slide right into the AHL next year

the Wings do need to do something about their logjam though

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I won't judge this trade yet, but I'm not all that excited about another winger.

There is no guarantee that we would have spent our 2017 3rd rounder on a defensemen nor is there any guarantee we could have moved the pick for a defensemen comparable to Sadowy. He is far from a redundant prospect in this organization.

Hopefully this turns out to be a sound strategic move. I applaud the front office for taking a different approach for once. My fingers are crossed that his skating continues to improve.

Moatorious

Dec 16, 2008
sounds like he wanted to come to detroit and san jose didnt want to lose him for nothing

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Not sure how well this will turn out for us.

But worst case, seems Sadowy is worth more than the 3rd rounder we paid to get him.

So increase in assets.

So good management no matter how this works out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I almost spit out my coffee seeing an actual trade tag.

As for this I have no idea who the kid is so we'll see soon, eh.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I almost spit out my coffee seeing an actual trade tag.

As for this I have no idea who the kid is so we'll see soon, eh.

Watched him for 3 and a half years.
Came into the OHL as a high energy guy that did all the little things first so latter when the skates caught up with him, he was able to get those goals in the high traffic areas. His skating still isn't super high quality but if it comes along a little better I could definitely see him carve out a spot in the future as a pest on skates, PK man that can still chip in 15-20 goals consistently.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Came into the OHL as a high energy guy that did all the little things first so latter when the skates caught up with him, he was able to get those goals in the high traffic areas. His skating still isn't super high quality but if it comes along a little better I could definitely see him carve out a spot in the future as a pest on skates, PK man that can still chip in 15-20 goals consistently.

Thanks for the breakdown. Seems from recent comments the team is putting a high value on gritty players? This certainly seems to fit that narrative.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I assume Detroit was looking at him with their second round pick this year so they could justify this move. Also worth pointing out he's 20 years old, so heads right to GR to start his professional career, whereas our 2017 3rd rounder would be 3-4 years away from starting his pro career. Wonder why he didn't sign with SJ - did they lowball him early or not offer to sign him and poisoned any potential relationship with the prospect?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

A Glendening that can score?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad