Confirmed with Link: [SJ/DET] Red Wings trade 3rd round pick for Dylan Sadowy (Signed to ELC)

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 3m3 minutes ago
The #RedWings have acquired Dylan Sadowy from San Jose for a third-round pick in 2017. Sadowy was the Sharks' third-round pick in 2014.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Corey Pronman @coreypronman
Sadowy days away from re-entering draft. Imagine he'll be inked shortly.

Corey Pronman @coreypronman
Sadowy was my #5 prospect for San Jose last summer

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Sounds like the Sharks have been unable to sign him and if they don't by June 1 he can re-enter the draft. Reading some articles saying there was a possibility he would be a 1st rounder if he re-entered.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
He's 6'1, 180.

From Fear The Fin:

Dylan Sadowy is a Woodbridge, Ontario native that played his midget hockey with the Vaughan Kings. He was drafted towards the end of the 2nd round in the 2012 OHL Priority Draft by the Saginaw Spirit. He called Saginaw, Michigan home for 3 and a half years before being traded as a rental to the Barrie Colts. Sadowy has amassed 70 points in 64 OHL games this year. After the deadline deal with Saginaw, Dylan played a key role as a goal scoring force on Barrie’s 2nd line. He had 25 goals in 28 games for the Colts, and will suit up for them in their 1st round series against the high-flying Mississauga Steelheads.

He is a gritty, agitating, goal-scoring winger. Dylan played on the top unit in all situations for the Saginaw Spirit but has been used as a secondary option on even strength, the penalty kill, and on the power play for the Barrie Colts. Sadowy has improved a lot as a skater since the draft. His edgework is decent, his motor never stops, and he never gives up.

His bread and butter is using his power and strength to drive to the net as well as to get into the corners and below the net to win board battles.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
From what I read he's a high energy player with decent offensive talent and a great work eithic, but he's also a subpar skater.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
From his draft year:

26. Dylan Sadowy - Forward - Saginaw Spirit
If he were a better skater, we'd be talking about Sadowy at the top half of the 2nd round with the likes of Magyar, Cornel, Bunting, etc. He does absolutely everything you can ask of him in Saginaw. He's very active on the forecheck. He's a terrific penalty killer. He drives the net with and without the puck. He plays physical and gets under the skin of the opposition. Best of all, he lead Saginaw in goals this year with 27. And how many of those 27 were on the powerplay? ZERO. Food for thought, but Sadowy's 24 even strength goals (he had 3 SH) were more than Brendan Perlini (16). Saginaw went through some rough ups and downs this year, but Sadowy was a pillar of consistency. He also had 4 goals in 5 postseason games. As mentioned though, his skating is below average and needs work. He'll also need to improve his ability to receive and carry the puck at top speed in order to be more effective at driving the net. There's too much not to like about him as a player though, especially when you consider that his deficiencies can be improved.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2014_21.html

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Reading this news at work like:

thumbs-up.gif

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Apparently some had him ranked as a 2nd rounder if he were to re-enter the draft. So basically we got a 2nd with a 3rd, and if they were thinking about drafting him anyway I guess that's a good deal.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Overall, it seems like a solid move for the Wings and the Sharks. SJ gets some return on a prospect they would have lost in a week for nothing and the Wings get a solid two-way prospect for less value if had hit the open market.

What I find particularly interesting with the move is the timing. I know that we have all heard the rumblings that Holland and crew are serious about making decisions this off-season and I think that this move might indicate larger trades to come.

It's a May trade, which as far as I can tell has never happened before with Holland. Holland's trades have almost exclusively occurred in the off-season or during the Trade Deadline. I can't find an instance where he traded during the actual playoffs (April to early June). That seems to denote a greater sense of urgency and willingness to make moves - initiative even.

I have to imagine that instead of letting the market come to a head prior to the Draft that he is being more proactive during this time and 'striking first' instead of letting it all play out. In addition, adding a prospect winger whose is 2-3 years out from the NHL instead of looking at a longer term asset like a 3rd Round next year who would potentially take 5-6 years before seeing the NHL, might imply a greater sense of urgency to improve now instead of again playing a very long game of development. Hell, it might even allow him to trade away contributing assets (current roster players) or those that are expected to contribute soon (2nd year prospects in the AHL) in a larger package deal for an impact. Solidifying the pipeline in the immediate term so he is more comfortable burning quantity for quality.

I hope I'm reading this right because I'm ready to see an aggressive Ken Holland, for good or for bad.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Little shocked we traded away an extra pick for a forward not a dman prospect and/or not as part of a pckg for roster dman..

And probably detroit will have a 3rd next year since Toronto will give them their 3rd that year?

Yup basically free signing since we'll have an extra 3rd next year I believe.

Not a blockbuster but its not a Benning move.

Curious to see how he plays in the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad