Confirmed with Link: [SJ/DET] Red Wings trade 3rd round pick for Dylan Sadowy (Signed to ELC)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sadowy seems like he could be a solid, gritty guy that plays up or down in the line up in the future. Maybe he turns into a tougher Holmstrom down the line. Getting a potential first rounder for a third is a good deal, and hes closer to being pro ready as well so hes easier for the wings brass to evaluate.

Even if the wings end up sucking in 4 years they should be fun to watch with guys like Bertuzzi and Sadowy. This scrap was with a legit OHL tough guy... The announcers seem to love him

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I'm sure our scouts seen him quite a bit in Saginaw especially because they probably spent some time watching Saarijarvi. Don't forget Saginaw turned into a complete wreck that hurt the team and likely their production. Sadowy may have hit 50+ goals if he played for Barrie from the begging of the year.

At the time of this move (not 5 years down the road), this is a very solid way to spend a 3rd round pick. This kid appears to have done nothing but increase his stock. I haven't really seen the kid play but it sounds like he has 2nd line upside and a pretty promising prospect to become a solid 3rd liner with some grit.

Can anyone find any solid highlight videos of this kid?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
No it has to be the one that is assigned to them.

Technically it does not need to be Toronto's pick, but it cannot be worse than Toronto's pick. Note that this effectively causes Toronto to tender its own pick to Detroit.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure our scouts seen him quite a bit in Saginaw especially because they probably spent some time watching Saarijarvi. Don't forget Saginaw turned into a complete wreck that hurt the team and likely their production. Sadowy may have hit 50+ goals if he played for Barrie from the begging of the year.

At the time of this move (not 5 years down the road), this is a very solid way to spend a 3rd round pick. This kid appears to have done nothing but increase his stock. I haven't really seen the kid play but it sounds like he has 2nd line upside and a pretty promising prospect to become a solid 3rd liner with some grit.

Can anyone find any solid highlight videos of this kid?

Saarijarvi played for Flint, which is the team that turned into a complete trainwreck. Sadowy was traded to Barrie halfway through this year and played well with them too it seems.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Saarijarvi played for Flint, which is the team that turned into a complete trainwreck. Sadowy was traded to Barrie halfway through this year and played well with them too it seems.

That's right, my bad.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Technically it does not need to be Toronto's pick, but it cannot be worse than Toronto's pick. Note that this effectively causes Toronto to tender its own pick to Detroit.

I believe it can be any 3rd round pick, Toronto had 2 3rd round picks and gave the lower pick to NJD as compensation for signing Lou Lamoriello. They can do the same to us. Any article on the compensation says "a 3rd round pick" not "their 3rd round pick".

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I believe it can be any 3rd round pick, Toronto had 2 3rd round picks and gave the lower pick to NJD as compensation for signing Lou Lamoriello. They can do the same to us. Any article on the compensation says "a 3rd round pick" not "their 3rd round pick".
No the wording of the trade that the pick cannot be in a worse position than they're own 3rd pick. So if they were to acquire a better pick in the third they could give us that one...but I see no reason that they would. So it essentially has to be there's.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I am not enthused when I see people use the term "subpar skater". Hopefully the rest of his game is fantastic, because guys who can't skate don't have much of a chance in the NHL these days.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I am not enthused when I see people use the term "subpar skater". Hopefully the rest of his game is fantastic, because guys who can't skate don't have much of a chance in the NHL these days.

Yeah I mean it could be a decent move but this is basically a guy whose ceiling is a decent bottom six player. It's what they call a 'depth move' and with a team like the Wings where management seems to still, inexplicably, sit on the fence with regard to future direction that's not really anything to get excited about.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
No the wording of the trade that the pick cannot be in a worse position than they're own 3rd pick. So if they were to acquire a better pick in the third they could give us that one...but I see no reason that they would. So it essentially has to be there's.

The wording on GeneralFanager is that it can be any 3rd at Toronto's discretion

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
It can be no later than 2017 but if Toronto has multiple 3rds they get to choose which be to give up

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So Holland's basically expediting the prospect development process. Not a bad idea, especially if we're moving on from some prospects.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Take a look at the explanation under the compensation for personnel section.

http://www.generalfanager.com/cba

5/20/2015:

To Toronto:
Mike Babcock (hired during offseason from Detroit Red Wings)

To Detroit:
2017 TOR 3*

Conditions:
*Detroit will receive either 2015 TOR 3, 2016 TOR 3 or 2017 TOR 3 (or an alternate 3rd round pick in any of these years) at the discretion of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Partial Outcome: Toronto has reportedly informed Detroit that the pick will not be 2015 TOR 3

Well aware that it had to be between 2015-2017...pointing out that it doesn't have to be Toronto's 3rd...just a 3rd

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I hear you and generally tend to agree with you. I will say that he is a couple of years past his original draft year which should take some of the projection out of the equation. If they really thought he had no hope at this point, they would not have made the trade.

I see this move as giving up ceiling for floor.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
5/20/2015:

To Toronto:
Mike Babcock (hired during offseason from Detroit Red Wings)

To Detroit:
2017 TOR 3*

Conditions:
*Detroit will receive either 2015 TOR 3, 2016 TOR 3 or 2017 TOR 3 (or an alternate 3rd round pick in any of these years) at the discretion of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Partial Outcome: Toronto has reportedly informed Detroit that the pick will not be 2015 TOR 3

Well aware that it had to be between 2015-2017...pointing out that it doesn't have to be Toronto's 3rd...just a 3rd

Like I said. It doesn't need to be Toronto's pick, it just can't be worse than Toronto's pick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I see this move as giving up ceiling for floor.

Honestly though the ceiling of third liners is nothing to go crazy about anyways. Sure there might be a 5'7 really skilled player there that turns into the next Gadreau but chances are at best its a Mattias Ritola. Sure you may give up some ceiling but this guy looks like a legit pro player 2 years after his draft so its irrelevant to me

Dylan Sadowy v. Connor Brown 1-10-2014

sorry i couldn't enbed it

There you go, when you post the link, dont copy the whole website. Take only the stuff after the = sign and press the youtube button up top. Then paste the stuff after the equal sign into the youtube quotes that appear where youre typing.

This isnt the Maple Leafs Connor Brown either, this is another legit OHL tough guy. In todays NHL this Sadowy will be able to handle himself since theres less real enforcers and more guys his weight class

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Great trade. I like this kid.

You don't often see this from drafted Major Junior players. Usually now a days they just sign... unless the original team has no interest in them.

Well he wouldn't sign and it's nice to see Holland was the one who capitalized.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Probably doesn't pan out to much, but third round picks rarely do either, so I would say probably a zero sum trade.

If nothing else, it's like hitting the 'fast forward' button for the experience level of a lower pick. Holland tends to get, at worst, serviceable forwards that are not top picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad