Post-Game Talk: SJ 7, Canucks not quite as many as 7. Part 2.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by ProstheticConscience, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Son of a Dawson

Son of a Dawson Benning the incompetent

2. Intangibos

Intangibos High-End Intangibos

Sorry, I don't HF during games and I don't Twitter ever. Thanks for the heads up, I enjoyed his feed that apparently consists entirely of angry fans

3. Vesperia

Vesperia Registered User

Good thing they traded nilsson

4. Var

Var Registered User

For the amount of complaining on here, you'd think we did something worse than lose to really good team.

My only concern was for the goalie after this one and I was pretty happy with the Mikey D interview. Not only was it huge that he was able to come in and play for us, but by the sounds of it he took away a lot of positives and doesn't seem to be beaten up by it - which is fantastic news. If something like that pushes him to be better and improve, A plus.

5. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Manager + Lecturer
    Best post in the thread.

6. PG Canuck

PG Canuck Moderator

The thread only has 30 posts.

jd22 likes this.
  7. MadaCanuckle

MadaCanuckle Registered User

Do you know people can lie on those flash interviews?

daddyohsix, bert and geebaan like this.
  8. Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas creating a safe work environment

Home Page:
    He's not setting the world on fire down in Utica at the moment. He has shown that his game needs some work before he's ready for prime time. Really he should have spent the entire season in the AHL. Gaunce is the guy to call up right now imo but I doubt he gets the call.

9. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Manager + Lecturer
    True, but I'm pretty sure that the rest of the thread will involve the following:

1) Bashing Green and Benning for playing Dipietro despite the fact that Markstrom needed a rest.
    2) Bashing Green and Markstrom for not pulling Dipietro
    3) Making claims that if it wasn't for the presence of Boeser, Horvat, Markstrom, Pettersson, etc., that this team would be playing .200 hockey
    4) We are 4-6 years from getting a sniff of the playoffs and that Jim Benning is the worst of all-time and is responsible for Global Warming.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

A terrific night for Team Tank, Canucks Army, and JD Burke. San Jose absolutely destroyed Vancouver.

10. crossbownerf

crossbownerf Registered User

Pettersson's vision/pass on Horvat's goal was insane.

ErrantShepherd likes this.
  11. Samzilla

Samzilla Prust & Dorsett are

So does anyone expect Philly to waive McKenna soon? And how exactly were they allowed to put him on a conditioning stint in the AHL? Why couldn't we have done that?

12. Superlative Soup

Superlative Soup Registered User

What a team, and that was without the best defenseman in the league too

13. ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd Registered User

Any hobby to capture my interest...

Yeah, sure... But it would be concerning if he was showing a self pitying, defeatist or broken attitude. Sounds like he remained upbeat and took it in stride... even if that's not entirely how he was feeling, it shows a level of composure and professionalism to keep it together after a game like that.

Its unfortunate, kid got seriously lit up, but it's still just one game. I think it indicates he needs way more seasoning in the AHL before he properly comes up, but who knows, he could do just fine next game versus the Ducks if he has to?

Anyways, what a welcome to the NHL Mikey DiPietro. :help:

Var likes this.
  14. ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd Registered User

Any hobby to capture my interest...
    Let's not be ridiculous.

Edler isn't the best defenseman in the league. :sarcasm:

15. Var

Var Registered User

You're calling Mike a liar now?

Look, let's all take a deep breath and relax. Mike doesn't seem like a dummy and doesn't strike me as a liar either. And regardless, he's got good people around him like Ian Clark who will surely put things in perspective. TG was supportive of him as well. Honestly - this **** happens and not everyone's a brittle snowflake. Nobody plays the best game of their career on the first day.

16. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    As Ottawa 67's fans this entire situation is ridiculous. He shouldnt even be up and why did they play him against in my opinion the best team in the west. His confidence is likely destroyed.

In all honesty he hasnt been very good since coming to Ottawa. Seems like he is looking ahead and he clearly shouldnt be. Dont think any of this is good for him he is only 19 cant play in the AHL yet.

17. ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly Registered User

Engineer
    We could have tried, but you have to have some sort of argument as to why. From the rules, and another commentary:

Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club​
    level 1
    Podo13STL - NHL3 points· 3 months ago
    Blues did it with Allen 2 years ago too. As long as you have a legitimate reason and the player agrees to it, you can use a conditioning stint if the player hasn't been playing a lot. But I don't think there's any cap relief and the player can only stay in the AHL for a maximum amount of time (I think 2 weeks is the max?).
    Also, if the league thinks you're trying to pull something shady, they can deny the conditioning assignment and tell you the players has to go through waivers if you want to send him down.

18. MadaCanuckle

Again, everyone can lie in front of a microphone. Political folks do it on a daily basis. And DiPietro doing that is something that bodes well for him. But that doesn't mean he's is alright or it's just one game. It was his first game, and I know it will sting for a very long time.

19. MadaCanuckle

Yes, i am calling him a "liar". It was exactly that, or you didn't understand one singe thing of what PR is.

Mike is not a dummy, but someone with a brain cell must agree that you don't go crying into an interview after your first game where you got stomped. However, no one can say he is ok. I would add that he better not be ok and this one stings a lot, because it will help him long term. But people can't write that even if you got lit up in your first NHL game, everyhting is going to be ok and it will be easily forgotten. It won't.

And TG better be supportive. He is the one to blame. And Benning, for a whole other reasons. And I am sure someone will find an excuse for these two, as always.

daddyohsix likes this.
  20. MadaCanuckle

1) After the McKenna fiasco, there is something that prohibits Vancouver sign a goalie?
    2) So do you think you should leave a guy in his first NHL game being stomped like that?
    3) All the advanced stats and eye test say exactly that.
    4) We are one GM firing and hiring away of becoming a franchise in the right path.

Do you want to impersonate Captain Obvious a little more or get back into Captain Oblivious?

Drunkan Keith likes this.
  21. bossram

bossram Registered User

Yes Marky needed a game off. All they had to do was start Mikey in one of the B2B games against Anaheim or LA. Make more sense from a schedule/rest standpoint, and gets Mikey in against a West bottom-feeder, rather than one of the top teams.

It was pretty much that simple.

Also could have signed Leighton (Canucks are at 46 contracts, so not a massive problem) and left Mikey in Ottawa.

22. Neddam ot Sehguh

Neddam ot Sehguh Nelhad ot Oow

I think the Nielson trade looks bad now. I mean this helps the tank but Dipi should NOT have been forced into this situ. This was a mistake by Benning, looks awful even imo

23. daddyohsix

daddyohsix Herding Cats

Still not sure?

24. Ghost of David Bruce

Ghost of David Bruce Registered Geezer

Wow, poor Mikey, that was a curb-stomping. He really shouldn't have been playing, but I think this place would really have lost their mind(s) if Green had played a sore Markstrom and had him go down with a serious injury.

Hopefully the Canucks sign a stop gap guy for the short term and Demko is ready to go again in the not too distant future.

Glad to see MacEwan did okay, now I'd like to see them bring up Gaunce to sub for Sutter... and I'd like to see Granlund fired out of a cannon.

Neddam ot Sehguh likes this.
  25. ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly Registered User

Engineer
    1. Yep hop off to Wallmart and go to the goalie aisle. They are probably looking, but surprisingly their is a shortage of backup goalies right now.
    2. The backup is Markstrom. I suspect he is not 100%, and they may have been hesitant to put him in.
    3. Take the 18th place team, remove their best 4 players, and they drop like a stone? Gee, what a surprise.
    4. Believe it or not, firing JB does not guarantee that the replacement will be better .... Let me guess, go to Wallmart, go to the GM aisle and buy the most expensive GM you can find.

Obviously oblivious.

Pastor Of Muppetz, Var and ddawg1950 like this.