Post-Game Talk: SJ 7, Canucks not quite as many as 7. Part 2.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
It's amazing how much of a gong show this team is with injuries. Can't get stories straight and just flat out lies to the fans without a care in the world.

Roussel....Demko….Elias....Edler….Demko again....Sutter....now Markstrom. The next time a player is injured im half expecting Robert Stack's voice followed by Unsolved Mysteries theme song

Var

Nov 10, 2007
For the amount of complaining on here, you'd think we did something worse than lose to really good team.

My only concern was for the goalie after this one and I was pretty happy with the Mikey D interview. Not only was it huge that he was able to come in and play for us, but by the sounds of it he took away a lot of positives and doesn't seem to be beaten up by it - which is fantastic news. If something like that pushes him to be better and improve, A plus.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
For the amount of complaining on here, you'd think we did something worse than lose to really good team.

My only concern was for the goalie after this one and I was pretty happy with the Mikey D interview. Not only was it huge that he was able to come in and play for us, but by the sounds of it he took away a lot of positives and doesn't seem to be beaten up by it - which is fantastic news. If something like that pushes him to be better and improve, A plus.

Best post in the thread.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

Do you know people can lie on those flash interviews?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
With Sutter out..again, it's Guadette time.
He's not setting the world on fire down in Utica at the moment. He has shown that his game needs some work before he's ready for prime time. Really he should have spent the entire season in the AHL. Gaunce is the guy to call up right now imo but I doubt he gets the call.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The thread only has 30 posts.

True, but I'm pretty sure that the rest of the thread will involve the following:

1) Bashing Green and Benning for playing Dipietro despite the fact that Markstrom needed a rest.
2) Bashing Green and Markstrom for not pulling Dipietro
3) Making claims that if it wasn't for the presence of Boeser, Horvat, Markstrom, Pettersson, etc., that this team would be playing .200 hockey
4) We are 4-6 years from getting a sniff of the playoffs and that Jim Benning is the worst of all-time and is responsible for Global Warming.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

A terrific night for Team Tank, Canucks Army, and JD Burke. San Jose absolutely destroyed Vancouver.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
So does anyone expect Philly to waive McKenna soon? And how exactly were they allowed to put him on a conditioning stint in the AHL? Why couldn't we have done that?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Yeah, sure... But it would be concerning if he was showing a self pitying, defeatist or broken attitude. Sounds like he remained upbeat and took it in stride... even if that's not entirely how he was feeling, it shows a level of composure and professionalism to keep it together after a game like that.

Its unfortunate, kid got seriously lit up, but it's still just one game. I think it indicates he needs way more seasoning in the AHL before he properly comes up, but who knows, he could do just fine next game versus the Ducks if he has to?

Anyways, what a welcome to the NHL Mikey DiPietro. :help:

Reactions: Var

Var

Nov 10, 2007

You're calling Mike a liar now?

Look, let's all take a deep breath and relax. Mike doesn't seem like a dummy and doesn't strike me as a liar either. And regardless, he's got good people around him like Ian Clark who will surely put things in perspective. TG was supportive of him as well. Honestly - this shit happens and not everyone's a brittle snowflake. Nobody plays the best game of their career on the first day.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
'Jumbo' Joe Thornton on with Dan Murphy after the game saying he 'felt really bad for DiPietro'. Not sure how some of the Canucks felt. But when your opponent takes time out to offer condolences, it should be an embarrassment not just to the Canuck players. How about Benning stepping forward with some condolences of his own for putting a junior goaltender in this position in the first place?
As Ottawa 67's fans this entire situation is ridiculous. He shouldnt even be up and why did they play him against in my opinion the best team in the west. His confidence is likely destroyed.

In all honesty he hasnt been very good since coming to Ottawa. Seems like he is looking ahead and he clearly shouldnt be. Dont think any of this is good for him he is only 19 cant play in the AHL yet.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So does anyone expect Philly to waive McKenna soon? And how exactly were they allowed to put him on a conditioning stint in the AHL? Why couldn't we have done that?

We could have tried, but you have to have some sort of argument as to why. From the rules, and another commentary:

Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club​
level 1
Podo13STL - NHL3 points· 3 months ago
Blues did it with Allen 2 years ago too. As long as you have a legitimate reason and the player agrees to it, you can use a conditioning stint if the player hasn't been playing a lot. But I don't think there's any cap relief and the player can only stay in the AHL for a maximum amount of time (I think 2 weeks is the max?).
Also, if the league thinks you're trying to pull something shady, they can deny the conditioning assignment and tell you the players has to go through waivers if you want to send him down.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

Yeah, sure... But it would be concerning if he was showing a self pitying, defeatist or broken attitude. Sounds like he remained upbeat and took it in stride... even if that's not entirely how he was feeling, it shows a level of composure and professionalism to keep it together after a game like that.

Its unfortunate, kid got seriously lit up, but it's still just one game. I think it indicates he needs way more seasoning in the AHL before he properly comes up, but who knows, he could do just fine next game versus the Ducks if he has to?

Anyways, what a welcome to the NHL Mikey DiPietro. :help:
Again, everyone can lie in front of a microphone. Political folks do it on a daily basis. And DiPietro doing that is something that bodes well for him. But that doesn't mean he's is alright or it's just one game. It was his first game, and I know it will sting for a very long time.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
You're calling Mike a liar now?

Look, let's all take a deep breath and relax. Mike doesn't seem like a dummy and doesn't strike me as a liar either. And regardless, he's got good people around him like Ian Clark who will surely put things in perspective. TG was supportive of him as well. Honestly - this **** happens and not everyone's a brittle snowflake. Nobody plays the best game of their career on the first day.

Yes, i am calling him a "liar". It was exactly that, or you didn't understand one singe thing of what PR is.

Mike is not a dummy, but someone with a brain cell must agree that you don't go crying into an interview after your first game where you got stomped. However, no one can say he is ok. I would add that he better not be ok and this one stings a lot, because it will help him long term. But people can't write that even if you got lit up in your first NHL game, everyhting is going to be ok and it will be easily forgotten. It won't.

And TG better be supportive. He is the one to blame. And Benning, for a whole other reasons. And I am sure someone will find an excuse for these two, as always.

Reactions: daddyohsix

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
True, but I'm pretty sure that the rest of the thread will involve the following:

1) Bashing Green and Benning for playing Dipietro despite the fact that Markstrom needed a rest.
3) Making claims that if it wasn't for the presence of Boeser, Horvat, Markstrom, Pettersson, etc., that this team would be playing .200 hockey
4) We are 4-6 years from getting a sniff of the playoffs and that Jim Benning is the worst of all-time and is responsible for Global Warming.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

A terrific night for Team Tank, Canucks Army, and JD Burke. San Jose absolutely destroyed Vancouver.

1) After the McKenna fiasco, there is something that prohibits Vancouver sign a goalie?
2) So do you think you should leave a guy in his first NHL game being stomped like that?
3) All the advanced stats and eye test say exactly that.
4) We are one GM firing and hiring away of becoming a franchise in the right path.

Do you want to impersonate Captain Obvious a little more or get back into Captain Oblivious?

Reactions: Drunkan Keith

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Yes Marky needed a game off. All they had to do was start Mikey in one of the B2B games against Anaheim or LA. Make more sense from a schedule/rest standpoint, and gets Mikey in against a West bottom-feeder, rather than one of the top teams.

It was pretty much that simple.

Also could have signed Leighton (Canucks are at 46 contracts, so not a massive problem) and left Mikey in Ottawa.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think the Nielson trade looks bad now. I mean this helps the tank but Dipi should NOT have been forced into this situ. This was a mistake by Benning, looks awful even imo

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Wow, poor Mikey, that was a curb-stomping. He really shouldn't have been playing, but I think this place would really have lost their mind(s) if Green had played a sore Markstrom and had him go down with a serious injury.

Hopefully the Canucks sign a stop gap guy for the short term and Demko is ready to go again in the not too distant future.

Glad to see MacEwan did okay, now I'd like to see them bring up Gaunce to sub for Sutter... and I'd like to see Granlund fired out of a cannon.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1) After the McKenna fiasco, there is something that prohibits Vancouver sign a goalie?
2) So do you think you should leave a guy in his first NHL game being stomped like that?
3) All the advanced stats and eye test say exactly that.
4) We are one GM firing and hiring away of becoming a franchise in the right path.

Do you want to impersonate Captain Obvious a little more or get back into Captain Oblivious?

1. Yep hop off to Wallmart and go to the goalie aisle. They are probably looking, but surprisingly their is a shortage of backup goalies right now.
2. The backup is Markstrom. I suspect he is not 100%, and they may have been hesitant to put him in.
3. Take the 18th place team, remove their best 4 players, and they drop like a stone? Gee, what a surprise.
4. Believe it or not, firing JB does not guarantee that the replacement will be better .... Let me guess, go to Wallmart, go to the GM aisle and buy the most expensive GM you can find.

Obviously oblivious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad