Post-Game Talk: SJ 7, Canucks not quite as many as 7. Part 2.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
What a joke :rant:

Missed an opportunity there Gudbranson to redeem yourself. Clown :facepalm:

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Holy hell Green's answers are hard to listen to. First he says he didn't have to play DiPietro and Markstrom could have gone, and then 30 seconds later says Markstrom was too hurt to go.
It's amazing how much of a gong show this team is with injuries. Can't get stories straight and just flat out lies to the fans without a care in the world.

Roussel....Demko….Elias....Edler….Demko again....Sutter....now Markstrom. The next time a player is injured im half expecting Robert Stack's voice followed by Unsolved Mysteries theme song

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
'Jumbo' Joe Thornton on with Dan Murphy after the game saying he 'felt really bad for DiPietro'. Not sure how some of the Canucks felt. But when your opponent takes time out to offer condolences, it should be an embarrassment not just to the Canuck players. How about Benning stepping forward with some condolences of his own for putting a junior goaltender in this position in the first place?

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Totally embarrassing game, and I'm not talking about dePietro. Management has been exposed for what it is. They need to answer to the fanbase for gifting two points to the Sharks. Accountability, please

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
Holy hell Green's answers are hard to listen to. First he says he didn't have to play DiPietro and Markstrom could have gone, and then 30 seconds later says Markstrom was too hurt to go.

Oh come on. He said Markstrom was technically healthy enough to play but he came in with a strain and he feared a start would exasperate his injury, which, now my words, would make this already bad situation worse. I get people are outraged, as we all should be but lets keep the pitchforks pointed at Jimbo whose actually at fault for this.

Hutton - brutal beginning to the game. Got standing around watching and not moving his feet. Looked gassed all game after being over played on the road trip. Knocked the puck stupidly into his own net, made horrible pinches and gapped miserably at his blue line. You do wonder if Hutton really has it at this level. Sometimes you see real progress and than at others slips back into incompetence.

Granlund - enough already. Guy can't compete with legit NHL players and that's damn obvious. Why is he still here? I've never been a big Gaunce fan but he is definitely better that the wretched Granlund (and Boucher is probably better as well). What the hell is Green thinking (or not thinking really). My guess is Benning is still trying to make it seem like he won a trade.

If this game doesn't convince every fan and Canuck management that they must not be buyers at the deadline nothing will. But like every dateline you wonder what misadventure the Cancuks will stumble into.

I agree, as I usually do with you, especially with these last two paragraphs but that's a pretty bad Hutton take. He's clearly shown to be a capable defender and not just by the Canucks ridiculously low standards. He's being asked a ton of right now as with Tanev saddled to Gudbranson the Canucks have two (Stecher) whole NHL defenders on their roster.

I can't for the life of me figure out how Granlund is now only 22 games shy of 300 in his career. A ridiculous sum for whose at best a 14th forward.

Reactions: geebaan and Var

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
'Jumbo' Joe Thornton on with Dan Murphy after the game saying he 'felt really bad for DiPietro'. Not sure how some of the Canucks felt. But when your opponent takes time out to offer condolences, it should be an embarrassment not just to the Canuck players. How about Benning stepping forward with some condolences of his own for putting a junior goaltender in this position in the first place?

well last thing i want to do is support JB but what he hell was he supposed to do instead? The only good news is that hopefully the Canucks will realize they are not "one player" away from being a "contender".

We have a budding superstar, 2 decent NHLers any team would love (Boeser and Horvat if you needed it explained), apparently a top goalie, Edler (injured) and Tanev. Lots of bits and pieces that are ok and a lot that are not. Sigh ... well at least we had 2011 and the Sedins ...

If (and it's a big fzcking IF), we add one more winger, and Hughes is able to translate to the NHL, and Juolevi can play in the NHL and if Tryamkin comes back, we actually may be there as soon as next year.

Markstrom appears to be there. EP is god. We still have a half decent prospect list even though 98% of it was EP. But for christ's sake do not, under any circumstances, sell anything of the above names to make the bloody playoffs this year.

Hell, Dipietro may be a king here in 2 -3 years. WE ARE NOT BUYERS.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dipietro had a though day in school. But he might learn a lot from this. So it is not all bad. EP got a point, should have had a couple more.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Oh come on. He said Markstrom was technically healthy enough to play but he came in with a strain and he feared a start would exasperate his injury, which, now my words, would make this already bad situation worse. I get people are outraged, as we all should be but lets keep the pitchforks pointed at Jimbo whose actually at fault for this.

Listening to his answers in real time you could tell he was trying to back pedal from his prior answer. Even the media had to get clarification because they were confused by his wording.

If you can't properly answer a yes or no question on the first go you're probably trying to hide something.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
This feels like the sort of game where:

A) either they bounce back big from, or

B) will derail the season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What a rather unfortunate turn of events for Dipietro and the canuck nets.

Kid couldnt stop a beach ball...we didnt stand a chance. To add the Sharks looked like one of the top teams i've seen the Canucks play all year and probably the Western Conference favorite right now while the Canucks defense is a complete tire fire, players continue to be in and out up front and now a 19yr old 4th round pick is gonna hold this mess together...it is what it is.

On the plus side.
Zack MacEwen looks like a player....some nice size hands speed....good debut
Bo Horvat came to play but is having some issues with his linemates and defensively
Pettersson and Boeser looked amped...just couldnt string together much against a highly engaged Shark team.
Stecher was very good and Roussel Beagle Hutton and believe it or not imo Pouliot came to play

On the negative
Erik Gudbranson is the tank gift that just keeps giving. Botched the 2 on 1. Botched the 1st goal behind the net, stupid penalty 150 ft from the play, cant maintain possession in almost any way other than on a hinge with time.
Chris Tanev getting a terrible assignment on the left side. He's had some of his own issue at times this year but now he gets the WORST defenseman on the team against quality competition trying to pick up pucks out of his skates on his off side....yes he's struggled but OMG make it stop. This goes back to that horrendous decision to jump the gun and move MDZ and Nilsson and like clockwork lose Edler and both Demko and Markstrom....you cant make this shit up.
Alex Biega hasn't been good
Goldobin Granlund completely unable to handle a big fast skilled team like SJ
Leivo and Virtanen just too casual to start and both need to be more switched on
Sutter..hurt again...wtf

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
well last thing i want to do is support JB but what he hell was he supposed to do instead?
Get a backup goalie after several weeks when plan A didn’t work out? (Goalie that got claimed that we tried to send down). Not a hard task. Sure it wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the game but better than dressing a goalie that has no business starting at this point in his career. Elmer, IMHO, deserves all the derision he gets on this issue.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Travis Green trying to play doctor has made him look like the biggest buffoon of all the talking heads in the organization this year. What a clown.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Too bad this wasn't on Aquilini's live tweet nights

Well, I lasted a week on the Canucks subreddit. Apparently any criticism of Benning is downvoted without a rebuttal given.

Internet points were a mistake. Instead of a meritocracy we get class president elections.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad